Best range in Baton Rouge [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Best range in Baton Rouge

M.Smith
09-03-2005, 14:18
What would be a good range in Baton Rouge for some on from out of town to go shoot? Seems now everyone wants to learn how to shoot.

Nurseman
09-03-2005, 18:19
Precision Range off of seigen 225 754-7263 open 10-10 m-sat and 12-6 on sun. It was busy today but if you go in the evenings during the week you can get private lessons for $35/hr. Range fee $15 men, women are free. Targets are $0.99 handgun rental is $10 Ammo is a bit overpriced but there is an acadamy sports down the street (Al. Blazer is allowed)

M.Smith
09-04-2005, 00:26
Thanks for the info. I got guns & ammo & family who never shot a handgun who now want to learn. Funny how popular the "gun nut" gets when things get difficult.

tthame1
09-29-2005, 16:48
I am not really fond of Precision. They are overpriced and the people that work there are about as unfriendly as they come.

I personally shoot at Red Stick Firearms. They have a nice range and much better prices. Not to mention that they build some REALLY nice custom firearms.

Nurseman
09-29-2005, 20:27
Overpriced is a relative term but I would agree that Red Stick is cheaper. I just don't like the area of town is is in. As far as the staff at precision. I know all of them and think they are very helpfull, without any attitude. I went in as a first time gun owner and received tons of help and good advice. The only time I have seen them be rude is with Know-it-alls who do unsafe things at the range.

mrwiggins
09-30-2005, 01:37
i've been wanting to go to redstick, but I've only been to percision. I loved shooting steel plates in the A/C

prezzz
11-02-2005, 22:25
Red Stick is okay, but a major drawback is that they have no restrictions on the firearms allowed. So you can be shooting a handgun and the person next to you could be blasting away with his new AK-47 just to see how fast he can unload his 40 round mag. That's anoying when you're trying to sight in a new pistol. That's when I learned to bring my Russian M44 with some high pressure (60,000 psi) machine gun 7.62x54R ammo. I send 4 or 5 rounds down range and will have my own range 3 minutes later. The concusion is so obnoxious indoors, it sends everybody home!!:) http://members.cox.net/rtset/M44BLA.jpg

LongGoneDays
12-01-2005, 15:12
I've been to Precision twice, my only 2 times at a gun range. The first time, the person was not very friendly. I was new to it all and I seemed to irk him for whatever reason.

The 2nd time, the person was very very helpful, and answered a lot of questions for me.

Since there was a 7 month gap in between those visits, it might be the same guy lol , just with different facial hair.

But either way, I went there again because I was familiar with the it, and I was pleased. I'll definatly go back. I noticed maybe the gun prices were high, but the shooting prices were decent from what I've heard about other ranges.

rhans405
12-02-2005, 17:54
I've bought 3 guns from Precision this past year, all three were near gun show prices. I enjoy going there although it's been somewhat crowded since Katrina.

hunter5567
12-06-2005, 07:37
You have to deal with Kevin up there on the guns.
They do have high prices on guns but occasionally a bargain
springs forth.
You can get a year membership there for $200 and shoot
all you want.
There is another range in Baker to shoot and you can shoot
anything in there. There is a sand bank to shoot in to.
Haven't been out there in years.
Redstick is a cheaper place to shoot on S. Choctaw by Monterey Blvd.
But as indicated, you might be next to a blaster.
I guess thats a factor with anywhere you shoot.
I just wear ear plugs and muffs.
I guess the mentality where they got to blast off the
whole clip can be irksome as well.
Also, there is the range at Sherbourne WMA.
There is a 100 yard rifle and 50 yard pistol range plus a
skeet range there. Its free to shoot just have to drive there--about 50 miles from BR. Easiest way I have seen is to go up 190 till you get almost to Krotz Springs and take a rt at the foot of the bridge and then back over to the left across the railroad tracks.
Its a few miles down the gravel road on the left. You'll see the game warden complex on the left, small pond, etc next to the
river. There is camping there also.
good shooting

dawg23
12-25-2005, 21:27
If you consider the gun prices at Precision to be high, you just haven't been doing much shopping. Usually $100 below Jim's prices, usually $50 below Bowie, and usually with a few bucks of Hebert's.

Their prices for shooting are pretty reasonable:

* Guys pay $15 per day. For all day. Come back as many times that day as you want during that day at no extra charge.

* Women shoot FREE - all day, every day!!

* Buy a membership and shoot as much as you want with no extra fees.

Ten pistol lanes with electric target holders, plus a 25 yd. rifle range, plus a plate rack lane. All indoors, central heat and A/C. Clean restroom.

What more do you want ??

pangris
01-01-2006, 18:04
Originally posted by tthame1
I am not really fond of Precision. They are overpriced and the people that work there are about as unfriendly as they come.

I personally shoot at Red Stick Firearms. They have a nice range and much better prices. Not to mention that they build some REALLY nice custom firearms.

I have to say that I find the staff at Precision to be very friendly and helpful... I've also found a couple fantastic deals there. The range is also nice and clean. As noted, Kevin is great to deal with. Introduced me to the 9x23 with a phenom deal.

Red Stick is, IMHO, a health hazard. The range is a lead dust nightmare. Staff is nice enough, but I won't shoot there.

Paul

BurningDog
01-02-2006, 19:59
Originally posted by pangris

Red Stick is, IMHO, a health hazard. The range is a lead dust nightmare. Staff is nice enough, but I won't shoot there.

Paul

+1

I shot there one Friday afternoon and then spent the weekend with a killer sore throat.

rhans405
01-06-2006, 22:38
Precision is good but it's getting crowded lately. I had to wait 30 to 45 minutes the last few times I went before I could get a lane. Baton Rouge really needs a large range with many lanes going out to 25 yards at least.

And the only outdoor ranges are far away.

prezzz
01-07-2006, 06:20
Originally posted by rhans405
Precision is good but it's getting crowded lately. I had to wait 30 to 45 minutes the last few times I went before I could get a lane.

Thanks to FEMA.

dawg23
01-07-2006, 15:29

And the only outdoor ranges are far away.

Like in Port Allen ??

rhans405
01-07-2006, 21:23
Yep. Never been there. Don't know it's layout. The public range is on the road to Krotz Springs.

dawg23
01-08-2006, 13:32
Hunter's Run Gun Club is in Port Allen - about 3 miles from downtown Baton Rouge (as the crow flies). It sits about 1/2 mile from the foot of the old (Hwy 190) bridge, next door to the WBR Parish Prison.

Hunter's run is mostly set up for shotgunners (Skeet, Trap, Five Stand and Sporting Clays). All of this is first class, as is the clubhouse - clean restrooms, Central air & heat, big screen TV, leather sofas, snacks & soft drinks, beer and mixed drinks.

You do not have to be a member to shoot shotgun sports, although non-members pay about twice what members pay for a round of skeet or trap or five stand . Must be a member (or be accompanied by a member) to use pistol and rifle ranges.

The pistol & rifle ranges are NOT first class. They are adequate, but not great. As noted above, most of the members are shotgunners.

Pistol range is 40 feet, with about 6 shooting stations.

Rifle ranges are 50 yards and 100 yards with about 6 shooting stations at each.

Managers are great - very friendly, very helpful. LSU students shoot at the member rate.

Edited to correct typo

rhans405
01-08-2006, 17:28
Thanks Dawg. That was informative. ^c

Intel486
01-14-2006, 09:39

Paul

+1

I was coming in here to add that. I will NOT shoot at Red Stick.

Precision's indoor range is nice but depending on who is working there depends on how you'll be treated. One of the owners is acomplete a-hole.

I personally belong to Palo Alto Rifle and Pistol Club. We have a nice range out in Donaldsonville, LA.

Nurseman
02-04-2006, 16:03
Well.... After being a member at Precision for a while now I have to say that I have changed my mind about the range. Post Katrina they have gone downhill fast. The memberships have gone up from 200 to 250 and the range put in a new policy yesterday that you can not shoot Blazer ammo only brass. The prices have gone up over 10% so a new Glock will run you almost $75.00 more than you can get it from James at OO. They now refuse to do a FFL if they "can get the gun for you" and for Sigs they are over $120.OO more than 00 if you want to order from them. I have also seen a change in the staff some of the younger guys are just not friendly or helpful and I hear them giving the old "gun store lines" to customers misleading them in the selection of a weapon.

I went to Red Stick to use up my Blazer ammo today and they have a new ventilation system since I was there last. It is an improvement even over Precision - better air circulation less dust. However, I was a bit put off by the "no rapid fire rule" the guy told me that means that you need to count to two between shots. I don't understand why I should have to count to two between pistol shots when they allow machine guns to do short bursts???? Have they ever heard of defensive shooting drills? I seriously want to open a Baton Rouge range, design it correctly, and run it as a customer service orientated business.

pangris
02-04-2006, 18:58
Ranges are financial nightmares. From what I hear, Precisions owners do not depend on the range for income.

Membership going from 200 to 250 isn't the end of the world.

No blazer? That *will* stop me from renewing my membership unless they will allow members who will pick up their aluminum casings to still fire them. I have about 5000 rounds of blazer 9mm that are going to get shot somewhere.

dawg23
02-04-2006, 19:08
I don't plan to renew my membership either.

The jump from $200 to $250 made it a borderline decision. The "No Blazer" rule makes it a no-brainer.

I can shoot any ammo I like at Hunter's Run, at Nick's or at Red Stick. This is just like the attempt a few years ago requiring people to "buy your ammo at the range." That policy really infuriated a LOT of people.

I've talked to some of the people that buy used brass - thay don't have a big problem with some aluminum cases mixed in. They have sub-minimum wage immigrants doing the sorting.

Marshall needs to look real hard at the recent drop off in shooters and new members since the Katrina scare has subsided. This isn't a seller's market any more.;6

rhans405
02-04-2006, 23:23
I went to Precision yesterday and saw the rule changes. They also had some new young kid behind the counter that could only quote the rules and not budge. They weren't paying attention so I shot my box of Blazers and picked up my casings. There was someone else behind the counter trying to explain their price drop on their own bullets (magtech, I think). So I presume there is a push for you to purchase their ammo and the aluminum in their brass bucket is just a rouse.

So Nurseman, when you opening your range. ;f

sandcrab
02-06-2006, 08:56
The owner of Precision has every right to set prices and policies as he sees fit. After all, he is the owner.

I, on the other hand, have every right to take my dollars elsewhere if I don't like his prices and policies. After all, it is my money.

My membership expires in three weeks. If the Blazer ban is lifted by then, I'll renew. If not, adios to Precision.;T

Intel486
02-06-2006, 13:17
I just went to Precision a few weeks ago and dumped 500 rounds of blazer down range. If this is the new rule, then I will not be going there anymore. I'll spend the money I save on ammo to drive somewhere else.

Now I will not even consider a membership unless they change their rules.

Nurseman, I've been having that same thought. Open a nice facility better than Precision and Red Stick.

pangris
02-06-2006, 17:59
Perhaps we should petition Precision to have a "pick up your blazer" policy? At an extreme, only members can shoot blazer?

Marshall can indeed set any rules he wants in a free market. He can specify that the only thing that can be shot there is 9x18 out of hard chromed Makarovs, but that wouldn't make it a good decision.

Perhaps we should all write and sign a letter to the effect - several current customers and members politely petitioning to use their favorite affordable ammo, with the point that business will be taken elsewhere if the ban stays in place - often goes a long way. If you'd like to take part, e-mail me offline with a topic heading of "Precision Blazer Policy" and I'll write something up.

Nurseman
02-06-2006, 20:26
Can he read?? Ok that was a bit harsh. I think I will try another range has anyone tried Palo Alto? or any of the other private clubs?

Intel486
02-07-2006, 23:22
Originally posted by Nurseman
Can he read?? Ok that was a bit harsh. I think I will try another range has anyone tried Palo Alto? or any of the other private clubs?

I belong to Palo Alto.

Other than the drive to the range, it's a good place to shoot. Have rules you have to follow and they will kick you out for breaking some of them.

Nurseman
02-07-2006, 23:37
How long is the drive from Baton Rouge to Palo Alto? it does not look that bad for a weekend shooting. The rules looked pretty simple/understandable on the website are there any that are unusual? What is the sticky rules that get people in hot water?

Intel486
02-08-2006, 10:24
Originally posted by Nurseman
How long is the drive from Baton Rouge to Palo Alto? it does not look that bad for a weekend shooting. The rules looked pretty simple/understandable on the website are there any that are unusual? What is the sticky rules that get people in hot water?

From the college I-10 entrance it's about a 45 min drive to the range. It's pretty similar to the drive to No Problem Raceway if you've ever done that drive except you go through Donaldonville after this one split in the road.

Giving out the gate code to other people is a big no no. They don't want any unauthorized access to the range. Other than that the rules are pretty standard for a range. The one I don't like is you can't bring out steel plate or anything to shoot. I wanted to set something up on the pistol range. No Full-Autos or .50BMGs... Not like I could afford either though, lol

behindthelog
02-08-2006, 10:43
I've met the owner of Precision before. He (Marshall ?)seemed to be a nice fellow. But he is off on the wrong track with this one.

I was told by staff member that the new rule was made because of steel and aluminum casings being mixed in with the brass they were selling. If this is the case (no pun intended), it's easy enough to require shooters to police up their non-brass empties.

If his real reason is to promote the sale of his ammo (like he did a few years ago), this won't fly now any better than it did then. Nobody who has been shooting Blazer is going to pay him $7-8 per box for 9mm ammo. People who shoot a lot know what ammo can be bought for - even Wally World has 9mm ammo for $11/100.

Marshall is alienating his frequent shooters - the ones who buy those annual memberships. IMO this is not a very good business decision. Then again, just becasue I plan to quit shooting there doesn't mean everybody else will.

There's always The Range in Baker, Hunter's Run, Nick's, Red Stick, Southern Shooting Center in Thibodaux and Palo Alto. I bet those guys are LOVING Marshall's new policy.

pangris
02-11-2006, 13:09
I went to Precision today to try some new stuff out. I shot 50 rounds of Blazer that I already had loaded in my magazines.

I didn't like the feeling that I was doing something "wrong", and that someone might come tell that I was breakingthe rules.

I did clean up the aluminum, threw away every last casing, but I do feel that it is a private business with the right to set their own rules.

My membership expires in 5 days. I'm going to talk to Kevin MOnday or Tuesday... if this isn't being reconsidered already, I'll join somewhere else. I have 5,000 rounds of this stuff in my ammo chest.

This really sucks as Precision is 10 minutes from my house. My other option is joiing hunters run - my wife and I shoot shotguns there anyway, but not enough to join - and then use their place. It is a much longer drive, outdoors, and the hours aren't as good. "The Range" in Baker is another option, but again - 1/2 hour drive. Palo Alto if great in that I can work on rifle stuff, but a 45 minute drive.

On any annoying note, I was at academy today and noticed Blazer went up $1 to $4.86 a box... ;g Nonetheless, still around 100/case.

^2

rhans405
02-11-2006, 17:45
Where abouts in Baker is The Range and what are the conditions?

pangris
02-11-2006, 21:02
Heading away from town on 110, take exit 8. Hang a right, go about 3 miles... I forget the street name, but it is a Presidents name, and there is a sign saying there is a VFW Post on the street - that is my marker.

It is a semi-private range - limited staffed hours, but I believe you can join, get a code, and go whenever you want.

rhans405
02-11-2006, 21:19
Thanks Pangris. I went to Precision today after the gun show. 4 of the 5 lanes on the right hand side were down. I need another place to shoot.

Intel486
02-11-2006, 22:33
I went to Precision today to try some new stuff out. I shot 50 rounds of Blazer that I already had loaded in my magazines.

I didn't like the feeling that I was doing something "wrong", and that someone might come tell that I was breakingthe rules.

I did clean up the aluminum, threw away every last casing, but I do feel that it is a private business with the right to set their own rules.

My membership expires in 5 days. I'm going to talk to Kevin MOnday or Tuesday... if this isn't being reconsidered already, I'll join somewhere else. I have 5,000 rounds of this stuff in my ammo chest.

This really sucks as Precision is 10 minutes from my house. My other option is joiing hunters run - my wife and I shoot shotguns there anyway, but not enough to join - and then use their place. It is a much longer drive, outdoors, and the hours aren't as good. "The Range" in Baker is another option, but again - 1/2 hour drive. Palo Alto if great in that I can work on rifle stuff, but a 45 minute drive.

On any annoying note, I was at academy today and noticed Blazer went up $1 to $4.86 a box... ;g Nonetheless, still around 100/case.

^2

Argh, I've been meaning to go pick up a case. I wish I did.

Do they still have the Winchester for around $4.?? for a box of 50? If that didn't go up, then I'll probably start shooting it.

After I get my M1 fixed and back to me I'll be looking for people that want to go shoot the long range rifle stuff with me at Palo. I can take someone out as a guest if interested. I already got a bunch of other people wanting to go with me though.

pangris
02-13-2006, 23:18
I'd love to check out Palo Alto... and as your guest, I can bring a bunch on neat guns :) 1911s, Glocks, revolvers, AR15s, M1As, bolt sticks...

Nurseman
02-13-2006, 23:31
As soon as the tax return is in I will be Joining Palo Alto also. I will shoot at Red Stick during the week and go there on nice weekends for some outdoor work.

Intel486
02-14-2006, 16:33
I'd love to check out Palo Alto... and as your guest, I can bring a bunch on neat guns :) 1911s, Glocks, revolvers, AR15s, M1As, bolt sticks...

Awesome. I've never gotten to shoot a 1911 before. I need to find time this week to get my M1 off.

ewrxshun
02-14-2006, 23:18
Originally posted by tthame1

Had a bad experience w/ one of the owners at a gun show about a year back. I've gone probably twice since, and that's only when my roommate was talking about going.

dawg23
02-15-2006, 08:56
Originally posted by ewrxshun
Had a bad experience w/ one of the owners at a gun show about a year back. I've gone probably twice since, and that's only when my roommate was talking about going.

I have always found the owner, the manager and the staff to be very friendly and helpful. They are also, as a group, far more knowledgeable than their counterparts at other stores around town. Of course, like anyone else, they may occasionally hire a new person who has to "learn the ropes."

As far as the gun show experience, I think you may have confused them with somebody else - I don't think Precision tries to sell at the shows.

With all that said, the ammo thing is still a bother. Maybe they will allow Blazer & Wolf if people police up their cases. Of course, all it takes is for a few people to not pick up their empties and then the whole problem surfaces again.

ewrxshun
02-15-2006, 10:51
incident happened at one of the shows at lamar dixon about a year ago.

guy was wearing a black precision shooting range polo and had some of the firearms i've seen in store.

the one i took note of was a garand in .308 that i was interested in purchasing.

i picked it up and shortly thereafter, the man in the precision shirt turned away from the guy he was talking to and asked me "what the ****" i was doing and to "put the ****ing rifle down."

don't remember exactly what was said, but it was along those lines.

more than enough for me to not want to give precision my business.

Intel486
02-15-2006, 20:59
Originally posted by ewrxshun
incident happened at one of the shows at lamar dixon about a year ago.

guy was wearing a black precision shooting range polo and had some of the firearms i've seen in store.

the one i took note of was a garand in .308 that i was interested in purchasing.

i picked it up and shortly thereafter, the man in the precision shirt turned away from the guy he was talking to and asked me "what the ****" i was doing and to "put the ****ing rifle down."

don't remember exactly what was said, but it was along those lines.

more than enough for me to not want to give precision my business.

I believe he also grabbed the rifle by the end and slammed it down on the table.

It was most definately Precision Firearms too. I've seen that guy in the store since and a couple other employees we saw in the store were at the gun show as well.

AabrahKadabrah
06-26-2006, 09:18
FYI, Precision is up for sale so if you have the means, you can purchase it and make the changes you would like.

I continue to go to Precision b/c of the convience factor. It is close to the house and now that Blazer Brass is out (you can even get the .45 at walmart for $9.47 for 50), the restriction on aluminum casing only hurts those who stocked up. The workers have been fine to me and have even let me pick up/sweep casings on the floor to keep and reload.

Honestly, I wasn't aware of another range in town (Red Stick) and will go and check it out to see how it is run.

Intel486
06-26-2006, 12:39
Originally posted by AabrahKadabrah
FYI, Precision is up for sale so if you have the means, you can purchase it and make the changes you would like.

I continue to go to Precision b/c of the convience factor. It is close to the house and now that Blazer Brass is out (you can even get the .45 at walmart for $9.47 for 50), the restriction on aluminum casing only hurts those who stocked up. The workers have been fine to me and have even let me pick up/sweep casings on the floor to keep and reload.

Honestly, I wasn't aware of another range in town (Red Stick) and will go and check it out to see how it is run.

Redstick isn't that great...

They allow rifles right on the pistol range so you may be standing next to someone blasting away with an AR. Not fun at an indoor range.

The range throws shrapnel back at you. I went with three friends, we all were in different lanes, and each of us got hit hard by a piece at least once.

There is no one watching the range well. There were three guy's in there sharing one pistol and it looked like they had minimum experience with the firearm. One of them had it pointing at everyone (mainly ME) standing behind the line, put a magazine in it, and release the slide.

All there is minimal ventilation. All the smoke seems to get sucked right back in your face. I left with a sore throat and that taste in the back of my throat.

speedlace
03-01-2007, 16:40
So does precision allow you to shoot Blazer now?:sad:
Have any other rules changed since it was bought?

AabrahKadabrah
03-01-2007, 16:47
I was not aware it had been sold yet... I went about a month ago and everything was still the same.

pangris
03-01-2007, 23:41
I believe blazer is "o-tay" again.

The range is sold, just taking its time changing hands.

Went tonight and was rewarded for my years of patronage with a particularly annoying unnecessary charge, but c'est la vie. I look forward to seeing what the new membership brings.

Paul

mrwiggins
03-02-2007, 00:31
should let me know man, i still need to go shooting

pangris
03-02-2007, 00:55
For what it is worth, I was just pickig up a gun... only shot about 30 rounds... we should get together soon, though.

mrwiggins
03-02-2007, 01:17
lol i need to save money anyhow, having a girlfriend and a crappy job isn't a good situation for saving money :D

LSP972
03-02-2007, 06:31
What changed, Paul?

Alan has been thinking about joining; anything he should know?

I've got an urge to shoot the 1911 this week-end; will go either Sat or Sun early. Call me if you can break away.

DJTeancum
03-12-2007, 09:03
Where abouts in Baker is The Range and what are the conditions?

Baker range is wonderful, except that they close at 5:00pm (unless you are there at 5:00, then they will keep it open until 6:00pm). You can fire nearly any weapon you want (Precision won't let me fire my AK-47) and you can rapid fire if you like. I beleive it was $14.00 last time I went. The people are very nice, and it is ventilated well.

To get there, take I-110 north, past the airport. Get off at the Baker/Scotlandville exit and turn right. Pass the Baton Rouge Zoo and keep driving until you get to Jefferson Street (after a few streets with former presidents' names). Turn right on Jefferson and you will see the range on the right side.

I still go to precision because of the girls shoot free thing, and because its very close to my house. But I go to Baker Range when I want to do something with military rifles.

spankaveli
03-17-2007, 05:47
In case you guys didn't know, the new owner takes over precision on monday. i was told that buy a couple of the workers the other day when i went do some shooting.

fwiw, i've been many times and only once did i have a bad experience with an employee that seemed to have a holier than thou attitude. i just shrugged it off and haven't had any bad experiences since then or before then for that matter.