Anybody know anything about military deuce-and-a-halfs? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Anybody know anything about military deuce-and-a-halfs?

vart
09-07-2005, 13:47
I need a truck to do truck stuff such as haul trash to the dump, pick up lumber and other supplies, etc.

I could be very well served by a 1/2-ton pickup, but I know where to get the military rigs for dirt cheap.

I think driving it would be a blast, and most of my trips are within a 35-mile radius.

I drove one a couple of times in the Guard, but never worked on them or really looked at them too closely.

Well-engineered? Relatively low maintenance? What does "Multi-fuel" mean for one of these things?

eisman
09-08-2005, 09:49
Multi-fuel 2 1/2 ton 6x6 trucks can burn any fuel in the inventory, and many that are not. That does not mean that they will be unaffected. they are regulated to burn diesel and some fuels (such as normal "gas") burn too hot for extensive use. (you'll mess up the engine.)

These trucks are built to be fairly easy to maintain, provide good cross country mobility, and have a long life. They have a top speed of right around 60 miles an hour.

They drink lots of fuel. (The miltary worries about milage in a different way than does the normal consumer.)

mrb302
09-08-2005, 20:11
I would also look into the avalability of repair parts before considering this option. I don't think the local parts store will stock normal replacement parts.

You may find yourself without a vehicle due to something that would be relatively easy to replace on a civilian vehicle.

If you just want to have a beater truck to haul trash, look into a high mileage Ford / Chevy / Dodge / Foreign truck. You can buy just about everything for the truck in a 5 mile radius of any decent size town.

vart
09-08-2005, 21:44
Originally posted by mrb302
If you just want to have a beater truck to haul trash, look into a high mileage Ford / Chevy / Dodge / Foreign truck. You can buy just about everything for the truck in a 5 mile radius of any decent size town.
But what would be the fun in that?;f

This could also be a serious SHTF vehicle that could haul me, the wife, two kids and a load of supplies through anything I might encounter on the highway between Iowa and Idaho.

A decent diesel-powered full-size 4x4 pickup will easily cost me around $7k - $15k.

A decent gas-powered 2wd beater with lots of life left in it can be found for around $1500.

But, the Deuce would surely be more expensive to maintain and less friendly for a 35-mile trip to Home Depot, and loading my four-wheeler in the back of a truck that has the bed 5 feet off of the ground will not be an easy task...^8

sharpstick
09-08-2005, 22:03
we used them at a logging farm when I was pretty young.Parts were GM for the motor.Slow as hell,pour on the fule,3Miles to the gallon with the motor off rolling down hill.Most have PTO front and rear,this is that best damn thing to could put on one of these.You can power pumps,genaraters,winchs,great tool.

I would make one in to a RV type of thing that I could barg off road but still have all the creature features.

streeter69
09-09-2005, 06:21
Originally posted by vart
But what would be the fun in that?;f

But, the Deuce would surely be more expensive to maintain and less friendly for a 35-mile trip to Home Depot, and loading my four-wheeler in the back of a truck that has the bed 5 feet off of the ground will not be an easy task...^8

No problem, I think you can make a retractable ramp or even a swivel boom. If you want a deuce an half, you have to know how to tinker;f

fnfalman
09-09-2005, 08:14
I think that I would hunt up a 5-ton instead of the deuce-and-a-half. The Deuce never did impress me with its performance. Even the old 5-ton seemed to be built better too.

magsnubby
09-09-2005, 19:28
Originally posted by fnfalman
I think that I would hunt up a 5-ton instead of the deuce-and-a-half. The Deuce never did impress me with its performance. Even the old 5-ton seemed to be built better too.

I'll second that. I had my choice of which one i wanted to drive when i was in the military. I chose the 5 ton.

walkin' trails
09-13-2005, 20:31
If you're going to buy a "deuce-and-a-half," make sure you can get parts to fix it. Parts are out there, but you can't necessarily run down to the local auto parts store and buy them in a hurry. Might be good to find out what frequently breaks, and what parts military units stocked on hand at company level to hasten repair jobs. Once upon a time, an unnamed federal law enforcement agency acquired some Hummers to test because the 4X4s that came off the line in Detroit just wouldn't stand up to the abuse they were exposed to on a regular basis for any acceptable length of time. The military unit delivering the Hummers suggested that the gov't agency purchase certain parts and supplies to have on hand in case of failure. These recommended parts included a suspension or driveline part, probably something like a CV joint as I recall, that was more prone to failure than you'd expect. The military just kept extras on hand to facilitate keeping the vehicles operational. The agency, however, according to legend, decided that they could just send a mechanic down to NAPA when the part failed. The Hummers hit the line, and were probably exposed to driving conditions that even the manufacturer did not imagine. It wasn't long before they were broke and deadlined. The Hummers would end up getting fixed once about every six months, driven for a week or two, then something broke again, and they were down while waiting for parts. A Bronco, despite its faults, could be fixed a lot more quickly. Granted, a military 2 1/2 ton is a bit more simple to work on than a Hummer was in the early 1990s and you can find parts, but not as easily as you could for a Ford F250 or Dodge 2500. I don't know what a surplus duece-and-a-half costs, but a used diesel 4X4 would probably be a lot more versitile and easier to live with.

tosainu1
09-15-2005, 21:53
i know one thing, dont get your arm caught in the damn steering wheel when your turning that thing, when it snaps back it'll break your hand(dont ask me how i know)..ouch...;Q

DaisyCutter
09-16-2005, 08:36
I've always liked the look of the 2.5, but when I compare them side-by-side with a 3-ton Unimog, the 'mog is the better vehicle IMO.

45acp4me
09-23-2005, 15:28
Didn't you post about filing for bankruptcy a few months ago and now you have the cash to send your kids to private school and to buy a mostly useless vehicle?

Save your money and buy the toys when the kids are out of school.

truckstop cop
10-02-2005, 08:24
i hate those things!!! i jumped off the back of one and my ring caught and off went the finger,that was a bad day!!!!!!

heat762
10-02-2005, 08:30
http://www.clarktruck.com/

M1 SUPER 90
10-31-2005, 15:15
Originally posted by truckstop cop
i hate those things!!! i jumped off the back of one and my ring caught and off went the finger,that was a bad day!!!!!!

So that is your hand on the safety posters!!

M1 SUPER 90
10-31-2005, 15:19
Parts for the duce are easly bought. Parts like starters, and alternators can be rebuilt. I know. I work in an Army Reserve maint shop. All you need is engine oil/coolant, and fuel and it will run.

BigC3031
11-03-2005, 18:28
I'll put in a vote for the unimog!