Getting first airgun(s) [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Getting first airgun(s)

Jack Straight
09-09-2005, 10:51
Due to recent rat problem, I'm thinking about getting an airgun or two. Purpose:

- dispatching rats if I see them, or catch them alive

- plinking, practicing

- teaching kids to shoot

I'm kind of partial to that new Gamo NRA special. Might be too much for the kids to use, for sure, but looks like fun.

Are these high-powered rifles finicky to operate and maintain for light-duty use?

Any recommendations on pistols? If one was sized as a Glock, I could use my exisitng holsters.

thanks

flickman
09-09-2005, 11:32
The absolute best first choice would be a Beeman R7. As someone who shoots airguns on a regular basis for fun and competition I will tell you that it is by far the defacto standard for best first airgun.

VictorLouis
09-09-2005, 12:31
http://www.airguninfo.com

You'll find all of the links you need. Best to avoid the Gamo products.

Jack Straight
09-09-2005, 14:58
Originally posted by VictorLouis
http://www.airguninfo.com

You'll find all of the links you need. Best to avoid the Gamo products.

I have startee reading that sight, thanks.

What's wrong with Gamo products?

flickman
09-09-2005, 15:49
Jack,

The primary reason most people frown Gamo products is the trigger. If you were to shoot a Gamo and then shoot a Beeman R7 (or other R series) with their rekord trigger it is night and day. Then you compare build quality, accuracy, etc. and you just plain get a higher quality product that will last a lifetime.

hardeyes
09-09-2005, 19:04
Hello;

One of the best values around is the Beeman R7's (The one I would start out a child on), and the Beeman R9 (.177 & .20), For around $225-275 They offer some of the best values out there.

They are Accurate, Reliable, have a very good trigger system, and can be 'tuned' later on, depending on what you want- ie power and/or accuracy.

I would say that Beeman offers a better quality rifle in there R1, R9, & R7 rifles, than Gamo.

The .177 is used more as a target round, while the .20, .22, and .25's are used more towards hunting. Not saying that the .177 can not be used for hunting, just that IMO, there are other better choices. For rats tho it will do them in just fine.

Another thing, when hunting rats, use a bait station--Which means you'r going to have to lure them in. I use peanut butter, and or dogfood, with a good back-up to stop the pellets. Another thing is that you'r going to have to be as still as possible, and make sure you have you'r rig ready to go, once a rat comes out of hideing.

Sometimes it may be good to let them get a free meal for a day or too, and then ambush them on the 4th or 5th day.

Another thing, if a rat does spot you, and runs off---Hold your ground, usally (more than not), they'll be back out in another 20-30 minutes. If you have a good spot, good bait, and can shoot, you'll be able to cut them down. I once killed 5 big rats in 3Hrs time, hope you get some.

hardeyes

Jack Straight
09-12-2005, 18:14
Thanks for the info. I caught 2 in traps (Tomcat), and they were dead immediately, I bet.

Worry was that if I caught one alive in the house. I don't think I'll have the patience to sit and wait. But an airgun would be fun anyway!

Oops
09-13-2005, 10:00
The Crosman 2250 and 2260 are .22 caliber CO2 powered guns. They have nice power for plinking and pest control. Even better, they are less expensive than most spring powered guns, are not 'hold sensitive' like most spring powered guns, are lighter weight than most spring powered guns, and are essentially recoilless (a bonus for teaching kids to shoot).

The downside is that you have to buy CO2 cartridges in addition to pellets and in cooler temperatures, CO2 powered guns can have noticably less power.