MSRP - What to offer on new car [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : MSRP - What to offer on new car


hunt55
09-10-2005, 11:30
I don't know if this is a reasonable question or not.....

but I in the market for a new car. I'm currently looking a a Toyota Camry. I'm not the best "horse trader" in the world.

Any of you guys have suggestions on what to offer for a new car (not necesarily a Camry) with a MSRP of say $20K. I know the dealer has to make some money but I don't want to leave a lot of mine ($'s) on the table.

Thanks

Dandapani
09-10-2005, 14:08
Goto www.edmunds.com and price out a car you found on the dealers lot with the options (write them down while shopping the dealer -- do not talk to sales guy, just write down the info). Price out the car with options, look for TMV (total market value) which is the what you should be paying in the area you live and not a cent more. TMV includes any dealer incentives they have going on. Print out that final pricing page and take it with you to the dealer. I've had dealers honor that price 4 new cars now.

Sometimes the TMV is less than the MSRP or sometimes the same as MSRP depending on how hot the car is. A car in demand may go for MORE than MSRP (like the hybrids).

hunt55
09-10-2005, 17:15
Originally posted by dmobrien2001
Goto www.edmunds.com and price out a car you found on the dealers lot with the options (write them down while shopping the dealer -- do not talk to sales guy, just write down the info). Price out the car with options, look for TMV (total market value) which is the what you should be paying in the area you live and not a cent more. TMV includes any dealer incentives they have going on. Print out that final pricing page and take it with you to the dealer. I've had dealers honor that price 4 new cars now.

Sometimes the TMV is less than the MSRP or sometimes the same as MSRP depending on how hot the car is. A car in demand may go for MORE than MSRP (like the hybrids).

Thanks for the advice......

Like I said I'm not the best horse trader...... Have you ever ask the dealer for the invoice of the car (that is something that shows exactly what he paid for the car)???

Also, do you get all that info from www.edmunds.com for free OR do they charge for the inquiry?

Thanks again

Aaron S
09-10-2005, 21:27
There are sites that will tell you the invoice price for the car you spec out. That is the price you should pay for the car. It is not what the dealer pays for the car, but has dealer holdbacks and other stuff added in so it really is about what you can expect to pay.

Aaron

Dandapani
09-11-2005, 06:46
Originally posted by hunt55
Thanks for the advice......

Like I said I'm not the best horse trader...... Have you ever ask the dealer for the invoice of the car (that is something that shows exactly what he paid for the car)???

Also, do you get all that info from www.edmunds.com for free OR do they charge for the inquiry?



Edmunds is free.

Invoice price isn't everything. The manufacture rebates back to the dealer to encourage them to keep the car on the lot.

Edmunds take this all into account and builds a percentage profit for the dealer back into the total price. The dealer has to make a profit, right? You want them to be there to service the car.

Read this book:

Don't Get Taken Every Time : The Ultimate Guide to Buying or Leasing a Car in the Showroom or on the Internet

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0141001496/qid=1126442682/sr=8-1/ref=sr_8_xs_ap_i1_xgl14/103-8083909-3584645?v=glance&s=books&n=507846

you can then buy with confidence. Great book, easy read, funny. Written by a former car dealer.

streeter69
09-11-2005, 07:45
When buying a car, ALWAYS low ball a price first. You can always go up in your offer;f

Eagle78101
09-17-2005, 17:10
Visit the lot on a day when the dealer is closed. Look around and decide what features you like (you can see them listed on the sales sticker) and what colors you like, etc. The more specific you can be on what you want, the better off you are. And not having the sales person there removes the distraction and pressure.

WDavis
09-18-2005, 22:30
Originally posted by streeter69
When buying a car, ALWAYS low ball a price first. You can always go up in your offer;f
....and dont be afraid to walk if you dont feel like the way the deal is going. Ive been chased out the front doors by salesmen on my way out, and recieved many cell phone calls driving away from dealers when they knew I was going across town to thier competitors.
Seems like I have recieved some good deals when I buy towards the end of the month as well.
Edmunds is a great resource. Good luck