Looting Scenario (SHTF) [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Looting Scenario (SHTF)

Mang Danny
09-11-2005, 09:31
We all have seen what happened to New Orleans thru the media about the govt's delay in helping the victims and the massive looting. If that happens in your locality, whats your idea to defend your family and property?

horge
09-11-2005, 17:28
I think we Filipinos ---especially Manileņos--- have extensive experience with deadly-severe and prolonged flooding in the urban and suburban context. Hindi naman uso ang widespread looting and anarchy. Meron pa naman tayong bayanihan spirit.

I'm sure you've seen how, without prompting, folks will start erecting makeshift little bridges across deep floodwaters for passersby; the old/infirm are carried via team effort. Not just during floods do we see this sort of thing: streetkids will act as traffic cops when the traffic lights go dead in a brownout. Maski meron silang hinihingi na tulong o bayad... meron kaagad effort, they don't wait around for government to send in the Marines.

Minsan, yun pang mga may-kaya --the educated and wealthy-- ang walang modo at walang pakikisama. These 'elite' won't give way at jammed intersections. They won't lift a finger to help their neighbors, and go out of their way to impose on others, the spoiled crybabies.

But to submit to your hypothesis... kunwari nga,
somehow there is widespread anarchy.
The defenses had best already be long in place:

-very friendly and cooperative relations with neighbors;
-very friendly and cooperative reltions with law enforcement;
-security- and discretion-minded house design;
-a well-trained dog;
-a well-stocked larder/pantry;
-last-ditch defensive weapons

Weapons, even non-lethal ones, really are a last among last resorts, but again, if money and real estate allow it, the house has to be designed on the basis of easy defense, murder holes, gas chambers and chokepoints. Maski 30 pa ang bad guys and one pistol lang ang hawak ko, dapat ubos silang lahat bago kami maabot.

:)
h.

Alexii
09-11-2005, 20:39
Originally posted by horge
Hindi naman uso ang widespread looting and anarchy. Meron pa naman tayong bayanihan spirit.

Agree.

You should see how the streetkids prevent monstrous traffic jams in big intersections such as E Rodriguez and Araneta Ave on dark, stormy nights when there's a power outage. I just toss out coins outside the window for them to collect later.

I still believe widespread looting and anarchy is highly unlikely in the Philippine setting. First; as mentioned, the bayanihan spirit is still alive at may takot pa rin sa Diyos ang karamihan. Second; gun ownership is widespread here and everybody knows that. Looting is less fun for the looters when they know their heads could be blown off by a 12 gauge shottie. The May 1998 riots of Indonesia could've had a lesser death toll if citizens were allowed to keep and bear arms. Third; the average Filipino urban residence is generally fortified by high gates and walls. Looters should be too darned determined to breach these defenses. A condominium unit located way up the structure would be the toughest to defend when the lower floors are taken over by the looters.

9MX
09-11-2005, 20:53
if we can avoid this scenario by early evacuation, that would be the best.

however, if i wake up one morning in this scenario and my home, family, and property is threatened. then my apartment will be renamed "The Alamo" ;I

but this scenario really gives me the creeps;P

mikey177
09-12-2005, 00:07
horge,

Kindly elaborate on how to implement "murder holes, gas chambers and chokepoints."

I'm familiar with chokepoints, but this is the first time I've ever come across the other terms in relation to house fortification. Thanks.

atmarcella
09-12-2005, 07:04
shoot first...ask questions later.

SMSTRICK
09-12-2005, 07:36
Originally posted by Mang Danny
We all have seen what happened to New Orleans thru the media about the govt's delay in helping the victims and the massive looting. If that happens in your locality, whats your idea to defend your family and property?

Lock, load and hunker down.

horge
09-12-2005, 07:42
Hi Mike :)

A murder hole involves a small, concealed, sealable steel aperture
through a ceiling or door, pointed down/out at chokepoints in the
enemy's advance, just wide enough to accomodate the muzzle of
a scattergun. If the target space is constricted enough, tear gas
and capsaicin can also be deployed.

Think: 6+ blasts of buckshot, followed by tear gas, then
you reseal the port. Reload. Shoot again. If necessary, retreat
to the next in a series of murder holes towards your last stand.

Collapsing defense, baga.
Your 'last stand' benefits from a hidden escape, comm. gear, and
more weapons. I designed a few houses, and one jewelry store,
with features/concepts like these in 1998 and again in 2003.

This forum is too public to discuss some of the really nasty,
concealed defenses I included in some old projects.

horge

mikey177
09-12-2005, 08:24
horge, you da man ^c

I hope I get a chance to talk with you before I start building my family's house here in the province. We just bought a piece of land on installment from a bank, but we won't be able to build a new house on it until maybe 2007.

Until then, I will continue to collect information on practical home fortifications to make my future house less looter and robber friendly.

vino
09-14-2005, 21:34
Horge,

I sent you a PM.

9MX
09-14-2005, 23:03
Originally posted by vino
Horge,

I sent you a PM.

uy nabuhay si vino;c

asintaderoche
09-14-2005, 23:16
To add salt to injury, a California Highway Patrol team wrestled an elderly woman who had a Gun to protect herself from this looters. Binagyo na sinalya pa;P dobol wabe si lola. That's the real STFH ,,;b

PMMA97
09-15-2005, 03:40
Originally posted by asintaderoche
To add salt to injury, a California Highway Patrol team wrestled an elderly woman who had a Gun to protect herself from this looters. Binagyo na sinalya pa;P dobol wabe si lola. That's the real STFH ,,;b

I saw that scene at CNN. Reports stated that the elder wielded a knife and a pistol. The CHiP guys had orders to forcibly evacuate residents but the next day this order was cancelled ;g Daming nag-uutos ng iba iba, ang resulta nasalya si lola kawawa naman...nangangamoy lawsuit ;f

theTactician
09-15-2005, 05:00
Originally posted by Mang Danny

well, it only goes to prove one thing..."NOT ONLY IN THE PHILIPPINES".. hehehehe

horge
09-15-2005, 06:11
Hi ya Vino,
My PM inbox apparently didn't catch it.
Any chance you clicked on SMSTRICK's PM button by mistake?

-horge

bulm540
09-15-2005, 06:35
It was an unfortunate incident in regards to the elderly woman but she displayed a gun in front of police officers, I think the response was justifiable.

mikey177
09-15-2005, 22:30
horge,

Please check to see if your inbox is full. I was also trying to PM you about two weeks ago (wala lang, just to make chika about Pisay) but the system said your inbox was full :)

vino
09-16-2005, 01:38
Hi ya Vino,
My PM inbox apparently didn't catch it.
Any chance you clicked on SMSTRICK's PM button by mistake?

-horge

I'll send you another PM just to be sure. Please check na rin if your inbox is full. Thanks.

9MX,

Pabrowse-browse lang muna ako for now, I've been trying to catch up on the threads at BOG.

9MX
09-16-2005, 01:40
Originally posted by mikey177
(wala lang, just to make chika about Pisay)

hehe, mikey, how much is your baon ba?;f

vino
09-16-2005, 02:00
Horge,

My PM bounced. Your inbox is full.

mikey177
09-16-2005, 02:52
Originally posted by 9MX
hehe, mikey, how much is your baon ba?;f

Hehe, just making practice my Taglish in case I get harang by those police at the checkpoint ;z

Actually, my folks didn't give me any allowance when I was going to Pisay since we were already getting a monthly stipend from the government.

horge
09-16-2005, 14:59
Thanks for the heads up, mikey and vino.
Sorry about the negligence:
I've since cleared out some space in my PM inbox.

When I was a freshman at PSHS, my stipend was P500 a month.
Keep in mind, the exchange rate was P7.00 to $1.00 at the time.
By the time I graduated, my stipend was around P1,200.00 IIRC.
I hated having to go all the way to PNB on West/Quezon
(Delta Theatre/Motors Bldg.) to update my passbook.

charlie-xray
10-12-2005, 04:58
Horge, if you don't mind emailing me more details would appreciate it.

cx4909@gmail.com

Hi Mike :)

A murder hole involves a small, concealed, sealable steel aperture
through a ceiling or door, pointed down/out at chokepoints in the
enemy's advance, just wide enough to accomodate the muzzle of
a scattergun. If the target space is constricted enough, tear gas
and capsaicin can also be deployed.

Think: 6+ blasts of buckshot, followed by tear gas, then
you reseal the port. Reload. Shoot again. If necessary, retreat
to the next in a series of murder holes towards your last stand.

Collapsing defense, baga.
Your 'last stand' benefits from a hidden escape, comm. gear, and
more weapons. I designed a few houses, and one jewelry store,
with features/concepts like these in 1998 and again in 2003.

This forum is too public to discuss some of the really nasty,
concealed defenses I included in some old projects.

horge