pain in the foot! [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : pain in the foot!

StaTiK
09-15-2005, 17:41
long story short i'm trying to join the USMC and so i ramped up my running routine... 1 mile then 2 then 3+ in about a month. Then worked on dropping time.

After a month or so my feet start to hurt. Both of them in the same place. Its the tendon/tissue that runs from the heel straight to the big toe. Not throbbing or anything but hypersensitive to the touch. For example i can jump and walk on my toes just fine, but if i step on anything that hits my arch i'm in pain. I feel i can still run but if its tendon damage i dont want to push it. Ive taken 2-3 weeks off of running (ouch) and it still hurts to the touch... maybe only 10% better than it was.

Doctor looked at it and said "i think its tendonitis. here's some anti-inflamitory blah blah". i'm skeptical, though HE is the one with the MD. Anyone experience this before? Next step is a pediatrist if it doesnt improve.

-StaTiK-

Blaster
09-21-2005, 20:34
Look here. http://heelspurs.com/index.html My guess is that the information will apply to you.

Unregistered
09-25-2005, 14:19
Also look here: http://www.sportsci.org/jour/0103/mw.htm

One of the most common chronic injuries in runners is planter fasciitis, or an inflammation of the ligament running along the sole of the foot. There is some evidence that the normally unyielding plantar fascia acts as the support for the medial longitudinal arch, and that strain on the proximal fascial attachment during foot strike leads to plantar fasciitis (Robbins and Hanna, 1987). Barefoot running may induce an adaptation that transfers the impact to the yielding musculature, thus sparing the fascia and accounting for the low incidence of plantar fasciitis in barefoot populations (Robbins and Hanna, 1987).

Chronic ailments such as shin splints, ilio-tibial band syndrome and peri-patellar pain are attributed variously to excessive pronation, supination, and shock loading of the limbs (Siff and Verkhoshansky, 1999, p.451). When running barefoot on hard surfaces, the runner compensates for the lack of cushioning underfoot by plantar-flexing the foot at contact, thus giving a softer landing (Frederick, 1986). Barefoot runners also land mid-foot, increasing the work of the foot's soft tissue support structures, thereby increasing their strength and possibly reducing the risk of injury (Yessis 2000, p.124).

I'm not sure kicking off the shoes before you heal would be wise, but I've been running barefoot for several years now, and all my foot problems have vanished.