sparring contact [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : sparring contact

icantpick
09-15-2005, 21:46
I was wondering how hard other schools teach to hit when sparring. full contact excluded.(sorry if you can't understand. I can't focus for some reson)

Skpotamus
09-16-2005, 00:22
It should depend on your partner, you and your goals for this particular sparring session.

If you're sparring a 40 year old soccer mom, you probably shouldn't go all out on contact, ditto for children. But if you're sparring someone your age and size, talk to them before hand and figure out how hard you want to hit and get hit. If you're working on new skillsets, go light and focus on techniques. If you're just working out on older stuff or just getting a good swear built up, go a little harder. The important thing is communication between you and your partner, this will stop that build up of power until you are both going all out and someone gets hurt.

Typically, in my gym we would hit medium contact, ideally, not hard enough to cause a serious nosebleed if you landed a flush shot on someones face but it will hurt, this is to work on technique, but still cause you some pain to help you remember your screwups. If we're getting ready for a fight, we go harder up until about 4 weeks before the fight (to cut down on injuries).

Every now and then, I think you need to bang HARD to work out some kinks and see what you fall back on when the adrenaline starts to pump.

Roundeyesamurai
09-16-2005, 18:01
Originally posted by icantpick
(sorry if you can't understand. I can't focus for some reson)

Too much contact? ;f

bunkerbuster
09-21-2005, 22:25
Master (or yourself) should pick the partner who are suitable for you.

If master picks a 12 years old kid to sparr with me, I would ask for refund!

;f

bikethief
10-05-2005, 03:29
Hi people, I'm new to this forum. I was always taught not to hold back too much during free spar because you develop bad habits that way. Maybe just enough to learn the technique.

brock sampson
10-05-2005, 22:38
I find it helpful to mix it up. There are times when you will need to use different levels of force. If you have discussed it with your partners and have taken the right precautions (pads, etc.) then full contact is a very useful tool. You should be familiar with what it's like to hit / be hit hard. That way there's no surprises when it counts.

Sanchin
10-08-2005, 15:40
Contact during sparring is very important to me.You don't want to be in a state of shock if you are actually hit in a real situation.
It should start off light to beginners,then when you gain more control the level and type of sparring should go up. You don't want to start off beginners swinging away wildly at eachother. On the other hand you don't want advanced students playing tippy tappy. Most importantly good protective equipment should be used.

Fedaykin
10-08-2005, 23:09
I teach Jeet Kune Do and Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu, and we typically spar at full speed but with moderate contact (about 40-60% power). Also, we typically wear basic protective gear: mouthpiece, groin cup, MMA gloves, boxing headgear, and, if kickboxing, shinguards. Sometimes, we will go lighter (if one's partner is a beginner or is injured) or harder (if someone has an MMA fight or an instructor test coming up).

I think schools that spar full-contact all of the time are doing their students a disservice in two ways:
(1) It markedly increases the risk of brain damage and other injuries.
(2) In a full-contact environment, you will only use your A-game skills because you don't want to get hurt. If you lighten the contact to a moderate level, you can try new techniques against resistence that you haven't mastered yet. This, of course, requires intellectual honesty (i.e., you need to realize that the moderately-powered cross that just popped you in the chin would be a knock-out shot if thrown with full power).

Temet nosce,
Fedaykin