tacoma, dakota, frontier???? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : tacoma, dakota, frontier????

tosainu1
09-15-2005, 21:56
Looking for a small to midsize new 4 wheel drive truck with 4 doors and as much space as possible to haul my motorcycles, 4 wheeler and a deer(hopefully) on occasion....Which should i get?

streeter69
09-16-2005, 06:48
I like the Tacoma the best.

Rob1035
09-16-2005, 08:15
I'm gonna say Tacoma V6, although stating a budget and how new you want would help.

tosainu1
09-16-2005, 19:50
I want to buy brand new, cost is not really a factor among the midsize trucks, but i want it to go hunting, and carrying atvs, motorcycles and 5 passengers occasionally( like twice a year)...

epsylum
09-16-2005, 21:07
The tacoma will hold it's value the best. Go check out what used one's are going for. It's almost pointless to buy a used Tacoma since you aren't going to save much.

I am not sure about the new ones but the older Tacomas are tanks mechanically. I know 3 people with them. One is a maticulous Toyota mechanic. He has about 180k on his, but it literally looks and runs brand new. I mean PERFECT. The other 2 have older 91 (pre tacoma) toyota pickups. The use them for beater trucks. The bodys are bashed up, rusting, and just genrally look like crap. But they fire up and run every time. No sputtering, coughing, anything.

Anyhow, I am a toyota fan. The American car companies make a dead realible car every now and then. The japanese (especially Honda and Toyota) seem to make them about 98% of the time.

Rob1035
09-16-2005, 21:32
IMHO, the Tacoma is Toyota's crown jewel, almost all of them are great, reliable trucks. And now they are starting to get better interiors and more powerful motors

I ran a 96 Tac into a tree playing Ivan Stewart, kept on tickin...

great video: http://www.bbc.co.uk/topgear/downloads/hilux_broadband.ram

epsylum
09-16-2005, 23:25
Originally posted by Rob1035
IMHO, the Tacoma is Toyota's crown jewel, almost all of them are great, reliable trucks. And now they are starting to get better interiors and more powerful motors

;z

Like I said, beat the hell out of them, they ask for more. Sure they will look like crap, but they still run.

tosainu1
09-17-2005, 15:37
I thought japanese made great cars too, my 96 nissan sentra has 160k miles on it and still runs fine. However, my fiancee just bought a 2005 accord lx and it has been in for repair twice already for faulty windows(makes a crunching noise).

walangkatapat
09-18-2005, 08:46
Where are all of your Toyotas and Hondas built?

tosainu1
09-18-2005, 08:48
well so much for this topic, i bought a used 04 Tundra with the v8, it was cheaper than the new tacoma and had more space and better ride...thanks...

walangkatapat
09-18-2005, 08:52
My wife wants a truck and we've been looking at Toyotas as well. Where your was Tundra built?

tosainu1
09-18-2005, 09:02
i have no idea where it was built, but it rides like a freaking limo, and i had a smile from ear to ear all the way home...touchy throttle too, i spinned the tires twice on the test ride..oops!!

Catbird
09-18-2005, 09:15
I test drove all three and bought a Tacoma and couldn't be more pleased!

epsylum
09-18-2005, 09:53
Tundras are excellent pickups. That I-Force V-8 is a certitifiable tank according to the 3 Toyota mechanics I know. It doen't win any HP awards but it will run forever.

Good choice. If I was in your situation I would have went with the Tundra also, especially with it being cheaper than the Tacoma.

I know all the Toyota pickups (and most, if not all thier cars now) are made in the US, but not sure where.

streeter69
09-18-2005, 12:39
Originally posted by walangkatapat
Where are all of your Toyotas and Hondas built?

Yeah they are built here. That does not mean they where designed here:)

epsylum
09-18-2005, 13:52
Originally posted by streeter69
Yeah they are built here. That does not mean they where designed here:)

Actually some toyotas are being designed here. The Solara was one of the first "All US" Toytas made. It was designed in California.

tosainu1
09-18-2005, 14:53
well i hope it does run forever cuz ill be paying forever....

epsylum
09-18-2005, 16:02
My Uncle loves his. He also has and will be paying forever on it. But then again he had to sacrifice spending money to get that M3 he always wanted.

OUSooner
09-20-2005, 19:51
Of the three you mentioned I would get the Dakota simply because it's the only one offered with a V8. I had a tacoma once and it had on going engine problems they never could get right. Traded it on a Honda.

hokieglock
09-20-2005, 20:00
i have an '03 tacoma with the factory trd supercharger, 270 total hp. put a trd pipe on it 300hp. love it.

Glockman67
09-21-2005, 14:48
Tacoma's were designed at CALTY in California. They are built at NUMMI (New United Motor Manufacturing, Inc) located in Fremont, CA.

The Tundra's are currently built in Indiana.

As soon as the plant in San Antonio opens up, future Tundra's will be built there.

Oh, do yourself a favor and get a Tacoma. It saved my life in an accident.

gman67

RugerFan58
09-21-2005, 15:31

great video: http://www.bbc.co.uk/topgear/downloads/hilux_broadband.ram I've got a 1998 Tacoma Extended Cab. Almost 100,000 and have done nothing besides change fluids and plugs since I bought it new. I personally think Toyota made a mistake by doing away with the manual hubs. The new Tacoma is about 100 hp more than mine. For off-roading believe it or not I prefer the smaller engine. I know I'll get 300,000 plus miles out of my truck. Here's a picture of it.;c ;c

epsylum
09-21-2005, 17:29
Originally posted by RugerFan58
I've got a 1998 Tacoma Extended Cab. Almost 100,000 and have done nothing besides change fluids and plugs since I bought it new. I personally think Toyota made a mistake by doing away with the manual hubs. The new Tacoma is about 100 hp more than mine. For off-roading believe it or not I prefer the smaller engine. I know I'll get 300,000 plus miles out of my truck. Here's a picture of it.;c ;c

Nice truck. Looks just like my buddies.

From what I hear with the older one's the V-6 isn't worth teh extra money. They don't make that much more HP and weigh more than the 4 cylinder. Now the new V-6 they have, that's a different story. I heard the X-runner is a wheel spin machine.

RugerFan58
09-21-2005, 17:45
Originally posted by epsylum
Nice truck. Looks just like my buddies.

From what I hear with the older one's the V-6 isn't worth teh extra money. They don't make that much more HP and weigh more than the 4 cylinder. Now the new V-6 they have, that's a different story. I heard the X-runner is a wheel spin machine. Thanks, At my age I'm not too worried about spinning tires unless there's snow and ice invoved.;c

epsylum
09-21-2005, 19:24
Originally posted by RugerFan58
Thanks, At my age I'm not too worried about spinning tires unless there's snow and ice invoved.;c

That's what 4WD is for ;f

Trumpet
09-25-2005, 15:20

Awesome vid. If we could only get the diesel Hilux here...

R

tosainu1
09-25-2005, 18:35
if i could have imported one from panama when i was down there earlier this year, i would have, believe me....