Randy Rhoads or Eddie Van Halen [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Randy Rhoads or Eddie Van Halen

SMSTRICK
09-19-2005, 06:27
I am am a classically influenced, blues, rock kind of guy. Rifs are impresive,...but,....scales, technique, and discipline rule the heart of a REAL string picker. Here is my answer...........

SMSTRICK
09-19-2005, 07:14
Here's another.......

AJE
09-19-2005, 13:21
See avatar :)

(attached full size)

micah
09-19-2005, 20:17
EVH all the way. He put out 10years of great material, Rhoads cannot say the same. And for me(and yes, I plat guitar) any "best of" ranking has to take into account listenability. Randy Rhoads made some fine songs, but he never made a "Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love" equilivant. That, and Randy quit Quiet Riot to play with some drugged up fat dude who mumbled alot.

micah
09-19-2005, 20:20
Oh, and for exibit "B"...flying V style guitars (yes, I'm including lo[psided Vs like the Jacksons) are gheyer than ghey. You simply cannot argue that....and EVH's Frankenstrat was about as cool as rock guitars come..right up ther with "Lucile" and "Blackie"...and whatever Paige callwed his SG doubleneck:)

wizzi01
09-21-2005, 06:17
I guess Randy doesn't have 10 years of records because he DIED. I love both of them, however I feel if Rhodes wasn't lost so early he would have been way over Eddie.

Cali-Glock
09-21-2005, 10:52
Edward Van Halen.

Goldendog Redux
09-21-2005, 20:50
I have seen both of them live. Gotta Say Eddie.

MF

Aphotic
09-22-2005, 21:30
Dude, Randy Rhoads practically invented the heavy-metal "solo" as we know it today. He was playing that stuff way before Eddie van Halen.

EVH is one of the best rock guitarists ever, but Randy owns the rights to this one.

Soujurn
09-24-2005, 02:56
Randy was the kind of guy who lived, breathed, and slept guitar.
He was just getting started. EVH shot his wad with the first couple albums.

wizzi01
09-24-2005, 07:49
Originally posted by Goldendog Redux
I have seen both of them live. Gotta Say Eddie.

MF

See this is what sucks about being like 6 when Randy died. I never had or will have a chance to see him. I saw VH last year and eddie was great.

Goldendog Redux
09-24-2005, 12:05
The mystique behind RR is that he did not live long enough to start sucking. I am a great proponent of the guitar god. However, most of my guitar heroes became very boring to me. Take Clapton for instance everything he does nowadays is just awful. SRV in his later years lacked much of the Raw Power(go Iggy)that he did earlier in his career. Look at the album he did with his brother, that thing had almost nothing of value.

I can appreciate that an artist grows and changes throughout his career but I wanna hear these guys just go off. I have no doubt that if RR had lived he would have produced some adult contemporary, jazzy, classical stuff that I would have hated.

MF

09-26-2005, 09:00
I never saw Randy "live" and first saw EVH w/ Sammy. But I think EVH was repeating himself by 5150 and ou812. Only God knows what Randy could've left on tape for us to hear. ;?

Punkkin
10-13-2005, 08:22
Originally posted by Soujurn
Randy was the kind of guy who lived, breathed, and slept guitar.
He was just getting started. EVH shot his wad with the first couple albums.

I agree, but who's to say. Maybe Randy would be pumping out the same type of lame pop that EVH is doing now.

Either way I've always preferred Randy's playing.

glock19guy
10-31-2005, 14:14
Originally posted by Goldendog Redux
I have no doubt that if RR had lived he would have produced some adult contemporary, jazzy, classical stuff that I would have hated.

MF

You should check out John Williams(not the composer), David Russel, Manuel Barrueco, or Jason Vieaux. All are incredible classical guitarists, who are in my opinion, the true "guitar heros". They all have technique that surpasses any rock guitarist i have ever seen or heard, and have the musical knowledge and training that most rock guitarists lack.

PeterJasonMN
10-31-2005, 23:55
SRV

;f

SMSTRICK
11-01-2005, 02:39
Originally posted by PeterJasonMN
SRV

;f

Stevie Ray Vaughn was by far my favorite. Randy was my idol when I was growing up. When I was 14 - 15, he was my idol. I went out about 24-25 years ago and bought myself an OLD black Gibson Les Paul Custon with two Seymor Duncans after paying $350.00 at a second hand music store in Birmingham, Alabama. (Not to mention that I was from a (poor Family).....SRV stepped into my life when I turnen on either SNL or The T%onoght Show w/ Johnny Carson. (I think that it was SNL) If I am not mistaken, I think that he was jamming with Bonnie Rait.) I am a southern boy, and am VERY influenced with the Delta Blues, as my Grandfather ,(who played a lot w/ Hank Sr. in Montgomery, Al. My father has played for over 60 years.......Well,.....All in all,...SRV's "Live At The El Ma Combo" is by far the BEST I have ever watched.

Randy And SRV are my favorites.

MOHAA Player
11-05-2005, 18:21
Randy all the way~2