Speed limiters. [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Speed limiters.

Kentuckian
09-19-2005, 09:14
Does the computer need to be reprogrammed?

I have a '04 F150 with the 5.4 V8, and it won't go over 100mph.

Not that it needs to, of course....;f

DaisyCutter
09-19-2005, 09:49
I'd recommend keeping your speed within the max speed specified by your tires.

That's a lot of vehicle to be going 100mph+. ;)

jim123
09-19-2005, 15:55
You probably need one of those power programmers that allows you to recalibrate the speedometer for different tire sizes, transmission shift points, etc. I know my truck starts to feel unsafe at 80 mph but I still dont like the idea of a built in speed limiter.

Kentuckian
09-19-2005, 21:27
Originally posted by jim123
You probably need one of those power programmers that allows you to recalibrate the speedometer for different tire sizes, transmission shift points, etc. I know my truck starts to feel unsafe at 80 mph but I still dont like the idea of a built in speed limiter.

I've had mine up to 100mph a couple times, and it felt fine.

I called Ford, and they said they couldn't remove the speed limiter. ;f

Guess I'll have to look into an aftermarket programmer.

David N.
09-19-2005, 22:38
http://www.sctflash.com/

streeter69
09-20-2005, 05:47
^^^^^^^^^Yep that is what I have also:)

TxDoc
09-20-2005, 14:47
I got the 89/93 tune from Lyndon at Wester's and only wished I had done it sooner. The truck accelerated much faster and my gas mileage went up almost just over 3 mpg in all city driving.

Simple install and can be reversed quickly. You can talk to Lyndon directly and tell him want you think you want and he can help you decide on what is best for your needs. Very nice to deal with and prompt with refund for core exchanges.

I bought a used core and kept my original. Once you pay for a tune, you can send your PCM back for changes for the vehicle it was in, or for a new vehicle you buy later.

-----------------

Here are a few other benefits of the Wester's -

30 day free trial, you don’t like it, they’ll either modify it, or send it back and owe nothing!

Lifetime warranty (no cost or fees)

Lifetime updates for all future mods ($45 shipping and handling fee)

Lifetime full price paid credit toward your next custom tune for your next vehicle ($45 shipping and handling fee) - VERY good benefit

Standard with all performance tunes -

Complete reflash of the PCM to your VIN, with all factory updates.
Dyno developed performance tune optimized for your exact engine and transmission combination.
Raised and optimized shift points
Firm, but not harsh shifts
Elimination of all torque management that can be safely removed
Some of the more common modifications to ask for -

Raising the top speed limiter to any speed you specify
Specifying the exact shift points you want in every gear
Firmer (or softer) shifts.
Specific tuning for your modifications, like larger than stock tires, gear ratio change, aftermarket MAF sensor, supercharger, headers, cam change, engine modifications, etc.

Check the tunes from PCM-For-Less.

Good luck with whatever you choose to go with. I think you will be happy with a PCM tune, the cost, the results and the ease of install.

excitingleopard
09-29-2005, 19:38
That's the problem with these silly new-fangled cars now. Everything's computerized and there's no easy way to mechanic your way through a problem.

Just out of curiosity, why in the world would you buy a pickup truck if you like to go fast?????

Sm0key369
09-29-2005, 19:53
You can check Jegs, or summit racing. Bully Dog is well advertised on Spike TV

Asha'man
09-29-2005, 23:26
Originally posted by excitingleopard
That's the problem with these silly new-fangled cars now. Everything's computerized and there's no easy way to mechanic your way through a problem.

Just out of curiosity, why in the world would you buy a pickup truck if you like to go fast?????

Let me guess, you like carburetors. ;Q

Ever seen a Lightning or SRT10 or 2.3T Ranger or 350 S10? Why not make a truck go fast?

Brian

excitingleopard
09-30-2005, 23:50
Ugh. Carbeurators. No, I like fuel injected rx-7's because I have two. ;)