Leg press question [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Leg press question

ClydeG19
09-19-2005, 14:38
I've been doing leg press on a sled machine for about two months now and I'm thinking I've been progressing ok. I'm up to 430lbs right now. However, I'm not able to bring the sled completely down to where there's a 45 degree angle between my upper and lower leg without my heels coming off of the sled. My upper legs are almost touching my chest at just below 90 degrees. I also notice that if I try to go all the way to the 45 degree angle, I can't even push half of the weight. Am I losing something by not doing the extra 45 degrees of motion or should I just keep on doing what I was doing considering I progressed quite a bit in these two months? It seems like higher weights would put a lot of stress on my ankles if my heels are coming off the sled in that last 45 degrees.

Here's an example of what the exercise I'm doing and the machine it's on http://www.exrx.net/WeightExercises/Quadriceps/SL45LegPress.html

California Jack
09-20-2005, 18:20
I can't help you with your leg press question. And I apologize for giving out unsolicited advice. But, I hop you are squatting as your primary leg exercise and using the sled for assistance work.

Good luck,
Jack

Wulfenite
09-21-2005, 15:53
Ditto above....pressing on the sled is easy money....squats on the smith rack are what will kick your butt....literally.

Blaster
09-21-2005, 20:26
Typically when I see someone in the gym performing any exercise with a limited range of motion they are using too much weight. I would try reducing the weight your using and go for a greater range of motion.

As the other folks have said, The Squat reigns supreme! If you only could do one exercise the Squat should be your choice.
Here is a good analogy I found on the net.

Myth #5: machines are just as effective as free weight squats.

Give this little experiment a try. Let's say you can leg press a certain amount, perhaps 200 lbs. Make sure your safety bars are set in the power cage, grab a spotter, and load up 1/4 of that amount on a squat bar. Try a full squat. I think you will find that leg press is to squats as dog poop is to Belgian truffles. Machines have their place, as I said, but a leg press isn't a squat and there's no sense pretending it is.

http://www.stumptuous.com/learnsquat.html

California Jack
09-22-2005, 01:10
Mistress Kristta is kewl!

don't tread on me
09-22-2005, 14:02
Try placing your feet "higher" on the rack! When doing the press your knees should NOT travel over your toes. In other words you should always be able to look at your toes when doing this exercise. Try lightening up on the poundages too!

DBradD
10-04-2005, 22:25
Originally posted by don't tread on me
Try placing your feet "higher" on the rack! When doing the press your knees should NOT travel over your toes. In other words you should always be able to look at your toes when doing this exercise. Try lightening up on the poundages too!

+1 on this one. That's the answer for sure.

+1 on the squats advice also, although I wouldn't do them in a smith machine unless you have a compelling reason. Just go to the regular squat rack and go to town. Use good form and go down to parallel. You really don't need another quadriceps exercise. Squats make you strong like no other exercise. Don't use a stupid pad around the bar either.

DBD