power gun [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : power gun

maomanila
09-19-2005, 22:08
Mga kapitbahay!

I am planning to buy a 6-inch S&W 686 Plus, .357 magnum, wheelgun. I'll be using it for defensive purposes and some shooting at the farm (it will have a PTC). It will stay in the car. It costs something like almost 50K at Twin Pines.

My present 24/7 personal carry is a G21 (a superb firearm).

What do you think of this decision mga pare ko? Powerful ba talaga ang 357 magnum? Matibay ba ang S&W? Ayos ba ang 6" barrel?

Maraming salamat sa mga payo nyo.

Umaasa,

Mao

Allegra
09-20-2005, 01:29
Originally posted by maomanila
Mga kapitbahay!

I am planning to buy a 6-inch S&W 686 Plus, .357 magnum, wheelgun. I'll be using it for purposes and some shooting at the farm (it will have a PTC). It will stay in the car. It costs something like almost 50K at Twin Pines.

What do you think of this decision mga pare ko? Powerful ba talaga ang 357 magnum? Matibay ba ang S&W? Ayos ba ang 6" barrel?

Umaasa,

Mao

I'd stay with the 45
It kicks like a 45, pero nakakabingi plus the blast ang laki ng apoy
A friend used to have a 357 SW na snubnose
Pero maganda siya pang "let's go" pag fiesta

paltic
09-20-2005, 01:53
stainless= OK pang farm dahil hindi kalawangin
S&W= OK kung walang problem sa budget
.357= OK sa long range engagement
revolver= reliable
purpose= farm perimeter security ba or target shooting only sa farm?

check mo din priorities mo kasi baka kailangan mo Ruger semi-auto carbine magnum .22 or .22LR kung nasa farm ka at malalayo talaga ang "targets"

batangueno
09-20-2005, 03:50
Pang farm puedeng puede pero as a car gun parang masyadong mahaba.

I know that ante is very satisfied with his SW686+ which he got from another BOG member.

You might also consider the King Cobra that Mayor is selling at the Buy and Sell thread.

jasonub
09-20-2005, 04:04
id personally love the 1911. if i want a long range weapon (100 meter pistol) id go for a delta elite or any 1911 in 10mm

my preference only

cebuboy
09-20-2005, 04:26
you wont go wrong with the smith, they are just a bit expensive.

the .357 is a great manstopper, its ranked as number 1 in that department if i recall correctly:) the only thing i dont like about it is the sharp crack it makes. it hurts the ears bad. but sa farm with wide open space, the noise will be bearable.

the 686 is a good choice for a revo if budget is not a problem and i tend to prefer the 686 over the 686+. heard the 7 shooters are prone to timing problems if shot with many full power loads. 6" is nice for plinking, target shooting and fun;f the 4" would be more practical for defensive/carry use. the shorter the gun, means that there is less gun for the bg to grab.

if you are looking for a strong .357 revo that would happily eat fullhouse loads everyday, give the ruger GP a try. wont be as nice as the smith but is tough as nails.

but for farm use, i think a centerfire rifle is best.

Alexii
09-20-2005, 04:47
If durability is factored in, my vote for a farm/car gun is a stainless, 4-inch, Ruger GP-100. I'd use the remaining money to buy 125gr .357 hollowpoints.

Mang Danny
09-20-2005, 04:49
Originally posted by cebuboy
you wont go wrong with the smith, they are just a bit expensive.

the .357 is a great manstopper, its ranked as number 1 in that department if i recall correctly:) the only thing i dont like about it is the sharp crack it makes. it hurts the ears bad. but sa farm with wide open space, the noise will be bearable.

the 686 is a good choice for a revo if budget is not a problem and i tend to prefer the 686 over the 686+. heard the 7 shooters are prone to timing problems if shot with many full power loads. 6" is nice for plinking, target shooting and fun;f the 4" would be more practical for defensive/carry use. the shorter the gun, means that there is less gun for the bg to grab.

if you are looking for a strong .357 revo that would happily eat fullhouse loads everyday, give the ruger GP a try. wont be as nice as the smith but is tough as nails.

but for farm use, i think a centerfire rifle is best.
A good compromise might be a Marlin or Winchester lever action rifle in .357 / .38 spl.

vega
09-20-2005, 08:44
Check with Mayor, he's selling his Colt for only P33,000.
http://www.glocktalk.com/showthread.php?postid=4929395#post4929395 (http://)
http://www.glocktalk.com/showthread.php?postid=4929395#post4929395

vega

dinggaling
09-20-2005, 16:03
Originally posted by maomanila
Mga kapitbahay!

I am planning to buy a 6-inch S&W 686 Plus, .357 magnum, wheelgun. I'll be using it for defensive purposes and some shooting at the farm (it will have a PTC). It will stay in the car. It costs something like almost 50K at Twin Pines.

Umaasa,

Mao

medyo delikado if it stays in the car "bukas kotse" hehehe

maomanila
09-20-2005, 18:19
Many thanks for your sharing your opinions, re: S&W 686.

1. I will buy it.
2. I will heed cebuboy's suggestion to take the 6-shooter over the +.
3. Just the barrel: 6" or 4"???????? (The excellent G21 will still be my primary body carry; the 686 will be my all-around defensive back-up for the home, the car and the farm.)

Gumagalang,

Mao

cebuboy
09-21-2005, 04:46
hehe if you cant decide between the 6" and the 4", try handling both before deciding. most people i know end up with both;f

maomanila
09-22-2005, 18:23
Finally made the P5,000 downpayment/deposit for the S&W 686, standard, 6 inches.

Am of course super excited, and delightfully looking forward, to hold the damn 357 revolver, caress it, smell it, and fire it off. I just hope my Camp Crame friend/facilitator will be able to deliver the license within 3 days, and the PTC 3 days thereafter.

P22 each pala ang Armscor na FMJ 357. Yung Hornady naman na JHP is P65. Grrrrrabe! Syempre uubos tayo ng mga at least 500 rounds for us to get a feel of the gun. Patay!!! Wala munang chicks, wala munang mamam.

cebuboy
09-23-2005, 04:29
wow congrats for the new revo;f try jacketed soft points or hollow points for max effect. fmj will just shoot thru. if you wanna see the power of the .357, try shooting some water jugs or wet phonebooks:)

revo
09-23-2005, 07:37
That is a fine gun, sir.

I have a S&W 686 with a 6" barrel (not a 686 Plus). My gun holds 6 rounds while yours holds 7 rounds.

You're asking kung matibay ?

That's like asking if the sun rises in the morning.

Unless you screw up really bad, that gun will be inherited by great grandson - assuming, of course, that you have grandsons (hehe).

My only problemn with your deal is the price - 50K persos is like US900 and change.

I'm not familiar with gun prices in the Phils but around here (California) that run would go for about $600 brand new.

I think I bought my 6-round 686 used at around $400 dollars.

I have a lot of fun re-loading for 357 magnum but I'll tell you later since I have to go to the office now.

hnard
09-26-2005, 04:09
Excellent choice for a revolver!