God Bless Good Gear [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : God Bless Good Gear

RabidDeity
09-20-2005, 01:12
So I assume all of you have heard of the hundred meter dash, right? Well, what happens when you lowside at 100kph?

That's right, you do a hundred meter slide. I am now intimately familiar with the coefficient of friction between asphalt and denim. I skidded to a stop in the oncoming lane about ten feet from a car, with a nasty set of abrasions on my right kneecap and a scrape on my right forearm. The doc says I should be healed up in a couple weeks. I was damn lucky.

My new jacket now has a nice hole in the right arm, and my jeans have holes in the right knee and the back right pocket. Good thing I was wearing that jacket, along with a helmet, gloves, and boots too. Otherwise I would have left nice red streaks on the road. To add a bit of irony to the whole situation, I also now have a literal hole in my wallet.

Of course, the bike had a slight bit of functional damage and a lot of superficial damage. The front brake lever, which had been ripped clean off the bike, was easily fixed at the bike shop (a 50 km ride with no front brake is not fun at all, but I managed with some help from the pack I was riding with). But a new right cowl and right muffler are the real costly parts, and unfortunately my bike is gonna look like crap for the next two weeks. I guess it's a small price to pay, right along with a new jacket, new gloves, and some real riding pants this time. Dunno if I can get some draggin jeans out here but I'm sure gonna try.

The causes? In short, it was my own damn fault. I was following a pack of experienced riders who were much more familiar with the course than I. I was going too fast into the curve entering a tunnel and lost my head when I saw oncoming headlights just as I started into the blind corner. Had I not cut wide and nailed the left curb, I would have been alright. Thankfully I didn't hit my brakes in the curve or this might have turned into a highside, or a collision with the tunnel wall.

Well, hopefully I've learned a few things from this. A week or two and I'll be back on two wheels!

partspin
09-20-2005, 06:01
Well that didn't take long. Slow down.

fnfalman
09-20-2005, 10:52
It sounded like your torso and arm took the brunt of the slide, otherwise at 60-MPH, the jeans would be in tatter and you will probably lose about a few inches deep worth of flesh and skin.

Dandapani
09-20-2005, 14:57
Been down at 40MPH in this: http://www.aerostich.com/files/images/125_2sa.jpg

Aerostich Roadmaster. http://www.aerostich.com/product.php?productid=17138&cat=249&page=1

No damage to me or suit what so ever.

fnfalman
09-20-2005, 16:31
There's a reason why Aerostitch textiles cost as much as good leathers.;)

Dandapani
09-20-2005, 19:37
Originally posted by fnfalman
There's a reason why Aerostitch textiles cost as much as good leathers.;)

'falman, I think I've seen good leathers that were cheaper... LOL.

I've had mine since 2002 and still holding up. A little warm riding around in FL, but no different than July in Ohio. Keep moving, good airflow, zips and flaps open, stop for light, HOT HOT HOT! Good (not perfect) rain protection for those quicky sea breeze inspired showers. I can wear shorts/short sleeves underneath and the fine layer of sweat keeps me cool.

fnfalman
09-21-2005, 08:52
I think that Aerostitch is about the only textile suit that I know of is approved for various Track Days riding.

RabidDeity
09-21-2005, 23:55
Originally posted by partspin
Well that didn't take long. Slow down.

Yep, it was stupid. But my point was that the phrase "live and learn" only applies if you're still around to talk about it. Ah well. In Tucson every road was straight, and now it's the complete opposite. I'll learn.

TreeTrooper
09-25-2005, 09:25
I'm getting ready to replace my old faded red Aero Roadcrafter (actually a sickly salmon pink/orange now). I only had one dismount while wearing it, about 30mph on a dual purpose bike. I didn't get a scratch. I even wore my Roadcrafter and Shoei RF fullface when I rode my Harleys. Most of the hard-core biker crowd (pediatricians and bankers on hogs) thought I was a renegade BMW rider that hijacked a hog. That suit has been all over the eastern US, and has served me well.