New Ham radio user [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : New Ham radio user

oscarthegrouch
09-20-2005, 22:05
Got my Tech license this week and was attemting my first contact this evening. I bought a used radio and something wasn't set quite right, so I was having some difficulty. Some guy breaks in and said I "shouldn't interrupt a QSL to program a radio, that I should contact the owner of the repeater." So I apologised and signed off. There was no conversation on the freq before my call, & none after. I have reset the radio and want to try again, but im afraid this chump is still there. Is this how things are done on the ham bands? If so, I have a Yaesu FT-60R for sale. I don't need his type. <p>
Should I wait for the next club meeting and get someone to help with the radio, or try calling a specific station & see what response I get? his really bums me out. I've wanted to do this for years, finally get my license, and now I want to get out...all in one week!<p>
Don

martho
09-21-2005, 14:55
Oscar,

Let's start by figuring out a few things.

1. QSL means "Can you acknowledge receipt?" QSO would be the correct term.
2. If the repeater is not in use, go ahead and throw out your call. If there is no traffic on the machine, that is the best time to get everything ironed out and working properly. The best way to learn, is to do it.
3. Get the call of the guy who told you this and next time you transmit, call him and ask him to help. Might be a good way for everyone to get on the same page.
4. The owner of a specific repeater is often unknown and many times
the trustee of the machine is the only person known. However, there is no reason to contact the trustee just because you want to use the machine.
5. There is a large learning curve in ham radio, however everyone sees things differently. There is a ham on our 440 repeater who uses his callsign at the end of EVERY transmission. It drives me absolutely nutz, but the other members dont seem to care. Once again, it is all personal preference. Just go out and do it.
6. In what area of the country are you located? Odds are there are several machines within a reasonable distance for you to work.
7. Just have fun. This is a hobby and an enjoyable one. Dont let one jamoke get you down because he was being a jag to the new guy!

Please post your questions here as there are many other hams here who are happy to assist you

oscarthegrouch
09-21-2005, 18:04
for the words of encouragement. Yes, there are several repeaters within striking distance. After I reset the radio I talked with another ham that took the test the same night I did. No one complained! Must have been something the previous owner had programmed in. But, thanks for letting me vent.

Don

GSD17
09-22-2005, 09:47
Don't sweat it, not all hams are as polite and helpfull as the majority of us. There are a few in my area that I can think of that really cheese me off when I hear them rag new people. Dont give up, its alot to learn, but the only way to learn is to jump in and do it. Thats what I had to do... Good Luck 73s KI4FKW

TaxCop
09-27-2005, 23:38
Unfortunately, some in the ham community are not the friendliest folks in town. You will find people that sit and monitor a repeater or frequency all day and never say a word, only to get on as soon as someone signs on just to tell them that the frequency is in use. Not sure what they are using it for other than to listen to the quiet, but there are some oddballs out there.

Another possibility is that you were on a closed repeater. That could be why you were asked to contact the repeater owner. People on closed repeaters are very protective. I have mixed feelings on closed repeaters. I understand the concept and some of their reasons, but it does not seem to be in the spirit of ham radio. Nonetheless, they should have ID'd their call as well.

Don't let one not so friendly voice discourage you from your chosen hobby. We were all new at one time and it takes a little getting used to.

lomfs24
09-28-2005, 14:59
I am relatively new to ham radio and I have seen several references to "closed" repeaters. I have always figured that if it is published in the ARRL repeater guide that it is probably open. Is that not a reliable method? I live in an area where there are no closed repeaters so I am not really familiar with the whole closed repeater thing.

martho
09-28-2005, 15:28
There is usually a C for closed in the repeater directory.

You can also look it up online

Here is the IL Repeater Assoc. http://www.ilra.net

Im sure your state has something similar

lomfs24
09-28-2005, 15:59
Yeah, now that you mention it, I do remember seeing a C in the repeater directory.

Thanks for the reminder.

TaxCop
09-28-2005, 19:17
Sounds like you ventured onto a closed repeater. Unless you are a member of the group or are invited by a member, you will very likely be asked to change frequencies and go to an open repeater. Be sure to check your repeater directory to make sure it is an open repeater, otherwise you may receive another not so pleasant request to go away.