Moto GP at Indy [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Moto GP at Indy

epsylum
09-21-2005, 20:57
Well speculation has been thrown around here in Indianapolis since they built the F-1 track. Rumor has had it all along that Tony George (track owner) has wanted "world class motorcycle racing" here at Indianapolis since he had the F-1 track built. I hear that several types of road racing bikes have been tested there, inculding world superbike. Now I hear that FIM was plesently surprised by the turnout at this years Laguna Seca race and might consider a second American race to add to the schedule. What betetr place than a FIA sanctioned F-1 track.

So I am going to do an unofficial poll and ask:

Who would attend a MotoGP race if it were held at Indianapolis?

BTW and off topic: I heard they officially said they will hold the F-1 race next year to fufill the contract. I wonder how many people will show up. I know my uncles will be there yet again.

F14Scott
09-21-2005, 22:47
I'd be so there.

fnfalman
09-22-2005, 08:45
I don't think that I'd travel half the country to watch the show, but I'll definitely watch it on TV. That would be an interesting race. Nice track layout.

TheBelly
09-22-2005, 09:13
track layout?

Anyone have an aerial view? Any specs on it? I'm going to (probably) be stationed in that area (Army) within a couple years, and I'd be excited to go!

TheBelly

epsylum
09-22-2005, 16:58
Originally posted by fnfalman
I don't think that I'd travel half the country to watch the show, but I'll definitely watch it on TV. That would be an interesting race. Nice track layout.

That's the way I feel about Laguna
;f

epsylum
09-22-2005, 17:05
Originally posted by TheBelly
track layout?

Anyone have an aerial view? Any specs on it? I'm going to (probably) be stationed in that area (Army) within a couple years, and I'd be excited to go!

TheBelly

http://www.brickyard.com/

I know it pretty well since I live here. The F-1 track starts at the start finish line of the 500 track (the yard of bricks), but goes backwards towards turn four. Just before turn 4 it has a 90 degree right (insane watiching the F-1 cars decelerate from 230mph to about 90 in literally a second, some of the best qualifying seats are right there). Then it goes into the F-1 infield. Very flat and curvy with just a couple small straights. It comes out onto the Indy track in a large high speed corner (what killed the michelin tires this year) into 500 track turn 1 then down the front straight. This is the longest full throttle section of any track F-1 cars currently race on. It's like 24 seconds of full thorottle. They wind up going about 230-240mph down the straight.

IMO it's a good no BS layout. You got your tight stuff and you have a huge straight. That makes for good racing as it makes those who can balance handling with speed the best shine.

c5367
09-25-2005, 15:31
I'd go. It'd be interesting to see MotoGP, or even AMA Superbike there. IMHO, there's a bit too much straight, but it would be fun anyway.

Fast Glass
10-07-2005, 22:52
I'd love to see GP at Indy. I'm going to try and make the AMA races at Mid Ohio next year too.

steeltoe
10-08-2005, 00:03
http://www.usgpindy.com/trackmap/
Never happen with the lack of necessary runoff the GP bikes need. Barber is the logical pick for a second GP and even then it would need a couple mil in improvements to the safety. LAguna took around 4mil and many of the riders still complained about the safety. They're just not going to run on a bank with a wall.

Short Cut
10-08-2005, 00:05
Originally posted by fnfalman
+1

norton
10-19-2005, 18:20
It would be great to see Hayden and Rossi battling each other in the hoosier state.
Trouble is, you know it would not be well attended. Ever been to the Daytona 200 during bike week? There are plenty, and I mean plenty of empty seats.
I know Laguna has great attendance, but its in Ca. where there are considerable #'s of bike riders.
They would probably have to put in a chicane too, to slow down the bikes on what is turn one backwards down the straightaway. Lots of problems to overcome, but we can dream.

bac1023
10-22-2005, 20:37
I'd love to see it as well.

MikeG22
10-22-2005, 22:31
It's already set to be at Laguna next year. If your wanting to go you better buy your tickets soon and get a hotel before they sell out. I ordered my tics the night they came out and couldn't even get the ones I wanted. And a lot of the hotels were already all booked out. This was a month ago too!