Help for loud exhaust....please [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Help for loud exhaust....please

newlyg23
09-22-2005, 00:10
I just bought an ' 05 Shadow spirit 750 and I love the bike. Today my son and I put on a Cobra Streetrod exhaust system. It has to be one of the nicest looking systems I've seen...however... this thing is soooo loud, it will give Harleys a run for their money as far as loudness goes. Therein lies the problem, in my neighborhood loud will not fly too long. Anyone have any suggestions as to how I can tone this thing down? I really don't want to have to replace it 'cause it was about $500! Anyone have any ideas? Thanks, newly.;Y

SmartOne
09-22-2005, 00:25
;Q Ride slower, shift easy, and don't accelerate hard! ;)

btoler
09-22-2005, 00:28
did you grease the muffler bearings befor you put them in?;a

peter3334
09-22-2005, 03:41
Put stock exhaust back on ...

You lose $500.00 (maybe you can sell it)

But everyone who hears you doesn't think you are a moron.

ph.

BrianM_G21
09-22-2005, 08:35
Originally posted by peter3334
Put stock exhaust back on ...

You lose $500.00 (maybe you can sell it)

But everyone who hears you doesn't think you are a moron.

ph.

^6

fnfalman
09-22-2005, 08:41
See if a local machine shop can fabricate a baffle insert for your pipe. That should cut down the noise and maybe, just maybe, still make some decent sound.

BikerRN
09-22-2005, 09:54
Being a Harley/Ducati rider I don't mind loud exhaust. I do however shift easy and don't crank the throttle when leaving the house or riding in the neighborhood.

gixxer11
09-22-2005, 10:03
Most of the Cobra exhausts are avalible with or without the baffles. I'd bet that you didn't get the baffles. They are very easy to install. Ask your parts guy about them. If you had your bike jetted correctly for no baffles, just go back to stock jetting with the baffles installed. Stock jetting should put you real close. You might need to put a small (1mm thick) shim under the stock needles.

TimP
09-22-2005, 10:28
if there is no law about the noise, tell them to go shove it! Just try to be aware of what times you ride, and try not to make too much noise in the hood.

ChaZ
09-22-2005, 16:43
Loud pipes saves lives.

-ChaZ

TreeTrooper
09-25-2005, 09:03
My VFR has a Two Bros. squid-pipe on it. I go easy on the gas in the hood. I had a couple on a Goldwing pull up next to at a light yesterday to tell me how good my bike sounded. Moderation, lad.

One Ragged Hole
09-27-2005, 08:39
I was woken up at 4:30 this morning by a Harley going up the road. LOUD pipes save lives. Yeah right.;g
O-R-H

ChaZ
09-27-2005, 08:55
Originally posted by One Ragged Hole
I was woken up at 4:30 this morning by a Harley going up the road. LOUD pipes save lives. Yeah right.;g
O-R-H

Heh... thank god (gods, goddess, whatever) that I'm deaf ;f

-ChaZ

ChaZ
09-29-2005, 11:50
Good news guys... (maybe bad news for my neighbor)

I just ordered Laser muffler system. I told the dealer to remove the baffler (known as db killers) so I can make it louder. Can't wait to scare bejesus out of blue-haired snowbirds as I cut them off on Loop 101 ;f

-ChaZ

fnfalman
09-29-2005, 13:36
Even with baffles removed, it ain't that loud. You're talking about a BMW and not a Ducati or a Harley. I should know. My Remus can has its baffle out right now and it's not that loud. You hear it a bit more than stock but that's it.

ChaZ
09-29-2005, 22:59
Originally posted by fnfalman
Even with baffles removed, it ain't that loud. You're talking about a BMW and not a Ducati or a Harley. I should know. My Remus can has its baffle out right now and it's not that loud. You hear it a bit more than stock but that's it.

It's not that loud?

The guy who sold me the muffler system told me... using Harley Davidson with straight pipes as a comparison. Using one to ten, with H-D at ten, the muffler will be at 7.5.

That's loud!

-ChaZ

fnfalman
09-30-2005, 12:41
Unless you remove the packing, it's not going to be that loud. Trust me. I've heard Laser, I've heard Remus, I've heard Two Brothers, I've heard Staintune on BMWs and it ain't going to be that loud. The only guy that I know of had a really loud Remus was because he removed the packing.

ChaZ
10-01-2005, 02:11
Originally posted by fnfalman
Unless you remove the packing, it's not going to be that loud. Trust me. I've heard Laser, I've heard Remus, I've heard Two Brothers, I've heard Staintune on BMWs and it ain't going to be that loud. The only guy that I know of had a really loud Remus was because he removed the packing.

Um... Laser exhaust system doesn't use any packing.

They just use bafflers called "db killers" and you can request that they take them off BC-I system. BC stands for boxercups and it's designed for street bikes. They come with license plate holder bracket and db killers. BC-II is for racing and the plate holder/db killers are considered as additional accessories and is used purely for racing.

Have you heard Laser without db killers?

-ChaZ

CATATOMIC
10-16-2005, 17:18
I've got the Cobra's with baffles on my '05 Yamaha 1100 V Star. They're loud but not so bad they drive the neighbors crazy. A friend of mine has the Cobra's without baffles on his '03 Shadow and they will rattle the windows in the house.

OMEGA5
10-16-2005, 17:47
Make your self a set of lollypops. Now before you delete this, I'm not joking. Lollypops are a large sheetmetal washer that you weld into the slot of a flat head screw. If there is no hole in the end of the muffler, you'll need to drill one large enough for the screw. Insert the lollypop using a nut on the inside to center it and one on the outside to tighten in down. What's nice about this is it costs about 2 dollars to make; it quiets the noise down, it gives you added back pressure which will get you back the low end torque you lost going to an open set of pipes and you can adjust the amount a back pressure by turning the lollypop to different angles. I'll post a pic of mine that I use in my 2.5" American Classics on my 1600 Classic Kawasaki. They work and 2 or 3 dollars is all it would cost you to fix it. Here's a pic. You'll notice I have 4 holes. You can start with the washer hole and add holes until you get the effect you want.
Ride safe bro,

OMEGA5
10-16-2005, 17:49
Another shot of the lollypops

micah
10-19-2005, 09:02
Why is it that intentionally loud motorcycles, cars and trucks seem more common in trailer parks than in nice neighborhoods? Why at work do I note that in general, succesful people don't have the need to make others look at them or hear their badass loud pipes? The flanel-clad factory stiffs love their loud toys though. Just an honest observation. Yes I'm sure there are many exceptions, but it seems to me that as intelegence goes up, noise goes down. Has anyone else noticed such a phenomonon?

fnfalman
10-19-2005, 09:17
I disagree. There are plenty of non-trailer-park resident types that get on their custom choppers with open pipe for that once-a-year 5-miles ride. And there are plenty of "older" types (30+) on crotch rockets with obnoxious pipes too.

Lots of people equal having loud pipes and being obnoxious to being "mean and badass". Rebel without a cause if you will. Me, I just love to ride and have 13 years of catching up to do. Give me a decent pipe that helps with exhaust flow and makes some decent burbles and I'm good.

gixxer11
10-19-2005, 14:33
I'm for loud when there is a reason (performance). Loud for the sake of being loud says to me "LOOK AT ME, I'M BEGGING YOU, PLEEEEEAAAASE!" There is no good reason for a stock engined bike to be obnoxiously loud. That goes for cars too. I love some of the crusier guys who put open pipes and turn the idle so far down it barely runs, so it has that "lope" like it has a big cam in it. Big cams and ported heads won't make the intake velocity to turn over that low, and the idle has to go UP, not down. Then they can't figure out why their battery keeps going dead, with all their lights and other gizmos that say "look at me....", and a 750rpm idle.

Buelligan
10-20-2005, 07:08
Originally posted by OMEGA5
Make your self a set of lollypops.

This is an old school mod used to get open pipes to work properly on Harley engines. Interesting to see it applied to metric bikes. I once bumped into a guy riding a vintage Sportster who had stopped because one of his washers had loosened and he could feel the power drop off.

OMEGA5
11-11-2005, 09:10
This will cost you about two bucks. You'll need to drill a hole about 2 inches from the end of the exhaust's pipes. Take 2 machine washers and 2 flat head bolts. Have the washers welded into the groves of the bolt heads. Insert these into the end of the pipes. You Not only will it tone down the sound some, you'll get back the low end torque you lost using open pipes. Use a nut inside the pipe to center the washer in the exhaust and one outside to tighten it down.
You can turn it to adjust the amout of baffle or drill extra holes in it like I did. See attached pic.
Ride safe,

OMEGA5
11-11-2005, 09:13
Another pic of the original.