Please Tell Me About Dual-Sports [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Please Tell Me About Dual-Sports

Anon1
09-23-2005, 10:22
Hello,

I knew that there had to be a motorcycle section way down here somewhere.

I want to get a dual-sport type bike. Having ridden forever and raced motocross in the '80s I'm familiar with bikes, just not modern ones.

Who makes them, models, good, bad, etc. Sell me your used one? Anything?

partspin
09-23-2005, 11:42
Suzuki makes a hell of a dual sport... the drz400. Check it out. Any bigger and it's tough to toss around on the trail. Any smaller and it's tough to keep up with traffic. This is a great compromise.

Anon1
09-23-2005, 12:32
I just went and looked at the Suzukis, Kawasakis, and Hondas.

Is that correct, Honda only makes a 650 that is street legal?

I checked out that Suzuki DRZ400 and they had another one, a 400SM maybe, that had street tires on it.

Anybody know about these clones? I saw a couple of Hyosha (sp?) Asaka that look like Honda knock-offs.

jww
09-23-2005, 13:24
I would stay away from the knock offs. I just dont think the quality is there.

I currently have a YZ250 with a plate. Its really only good for light street use. By light I mean connecting trails or riding to a buddies house.

In the past I have had a plated CRF450 and a plated WR250.I would not take any of the bikes on the freeway. They just dont have the power or weight to be safe.

I dont really know anything about the SM400's except they look bad ass.

The bike I see most converted is KTM 525's.

Jtemple
09-23-2005, 16:18
A friend of mine had a XR650L (the Honda street legal one) that he absolutely loved. He's talking about getting another one.

You can also buy the better-built XR650R, which is the water cooled off-road only version, and get a street legal kit for it, for about $500. The end result is an XR650L with a water cooled engine and more power.

From what I hear, the XR650R is a monster of a machine. Fast, and durable. I read that it hasn't lost a Baja race that it has entered.

The XR650R was one of my choices for my first bike. I went with the Suzuki SV650 instead.

Timothy658
09-24-2005, 09:50
I just purchased my first bike about a week ago, and it is a dual sport. Its a 1975 Honda MT250 Elsinore. Havent ridden it yet, but I think it will be a great bike to learn on. Original condition, 3,000 miles.

Jtemple
09-24-2005, 10:40
Cool man!

davidkeough
09-24-2005, 22:46
Hey, if it was my money I would definitly, head for Suzuki V-Strom 650 model
it's a twin engine bike with a great value for the money. It comes with a V-twin
instead of a single cylinder engine for like other makes. I still want one for
myself.

TreeTrooper
09-25-2005, 08:59
Between my brother and I, we've had 'em all. The Honda 650L was good in the dirt (heavy), but not so good on the street. The DRZ400S sounds like it's going to rev itself apart at 75mph. The dualie that suited both of us the best was the big, overweight, water-cooled Kaw KLR 650. It'll cruise all day at freeway speeds, is as reliable as sunrise, and is capable of decent trailwork if you don't go nuts (that's what I have a KDX 250 in the garage for). The KLR has a HUGE aftermarket, lots of stuff available to personalize/upgrade if you want. Great bike, IMHO. I only take my VFR out if I'm going FAR away, or if I get the urge to get there faster than I can on a DP bike.

khaitran
09-25-2005, 09:45
I have a Drz-400s, its an awesome bike, great trail riding and i have street tires for it. TreeTrooper is right, anything over 70mph the bikes doesnt like, try riding different bikes, get a feel for what you like.

TreeTrooper
09-25-2005, 11:25
The DRZ is a great dirtbike, it's just tough at highway speeds and has a small fuel tank. Now a DRZ 650...

xrmattaz
09-26-2005, 07:40
;)Dual sport with character...650 twin!

Timothy658
09-26-2005, 10:04
Are there any restrictions on dual sport bikes as far as where they can and cannot ride?

HKMark23
09-26-2005, 18:46
Originally posted by Anon1
Is that correct, Honda only makes a 650 that is street legal?
Arguably the best all around DS is the KLR650, its the Jeep of the DS world. Its been around for 10+ years, well proven, has tons of aftermarket support/equipment.

The KLR has also been adapted as the new bike for US Special Forces and MP/LE duty in diesel form. Its been serving for almost two years now and the company that developed the diesel version is releasing in to the public in a joint venture with Kawi.
http://www.m1030.com/models.htm

My current DS is an '04 BMW1150GSA, the Mad Max of the DS world, I love mine on long trips but I want the M1030(KLR) for local jaunts into the sticks.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v345/hkuspelite45/Me/d2e54723.jpg

The best DS info you will find is over on www.advrider.com

xrmattaz
09-26-2005, 19:45
The KLR is actually in it's eighteenth year (current model A-18). Wonderful motorbike with just a few minor quirks that need to be addressed...."Doohickey", etc.

I just sold my '05 model, though it still sits in the garage waiting for delivery.

Just recently purchased the '86 Moto Guzzi V65TT for my dual sport duties, also the '03 BMW K1200LT for long distance stuff. I'll miss the KLR though! No motorbike does what she does.

I've owned the Suzuki DR350/650 and DRZ400. Also the Honda XR600R and XR650R. None of 'em can "do it all" like the KLR can.

Pic attached of the Guzzi. Ever seen one of these?

Originally posted by HKMark23
Arguably the best all around DS is the KLR650, its the Jeep of the DS world. Its been around for 10+ years, well proven, has tons of aftermarket support/equipment.

The KLR has also been adapted as the new bike for US Special Forces and MP/LE duty in diesel form. Its been serving for almost two years now and the company that developed the diesel version is releasing in to the public in a joint venture with Kawi.
http://www.m1030.com/models.htm

My current DS is an '04 BMW1150GSA, the Mad Max of the DS world, I love mine on long trips but I want the M1030(KLR) for local jaunts into the sticks.

The best DS info you will find is over on www.advrider.com :)

xrmattaz
09-26-2005, 19:47
Here she is in MY garage, next to my KLR. ;a

Anvil
09-27-2005, 21:32
Tell you about dual sports....

I think Dualies are probably the smartest bike you can own. I see big guys like me riding harley's and I say to myself, if they drop that bike, they're gonna pay thousands to fix it right, but if I drop mine, $100 will probably fix whatever breaks. If they make a mistake and drop their rig on themselves, they're gonna REALLY get hurt, me? my bike only weighs 350 pounds, I can almost kick it off me once horizontal (it's happened a few times). If a big bike hits a curb it's gonna HURT, mine just walks over speed bumps, curbs, sidewalks etc. I can't keep up with a hayabusa or zx10 but I'm in no danger of loosing control of my bike like they are either. My KLR walks away from traffic when I want to (though not as fast as I'd like). There's no chrome crap for dualies but rather the aftermarket support is centered around being more practical, tougher, stronger, resilient, whereas crotch rocket and hogs center around chrome, flash and horse power.

The strongest argument for a dualie is.... you can go where you want. Crotch rockets can only go fast, harleys are flashy with chrome but a good Dual Sport, (my prefered is the KLR 650) can leave the street, go over a sidewalk, climb a curb and roll over those concrete parking logs in parking lots. I can bring dirt riding skills to street riding... no other bike style can.

fnfalman
09-28-2005, 08:26
I would love to have a dual sport but the one that I want is way too tall for me. The smaller ones just don't have enough oomph for me to feel comfortable with while riding on the street. Well, in California, you have no choice but to ride on lots of streets before you can get to the sticks.

khaitran
09-28-2005, 11:40
My Drz-400 works great for me, since i live in a small comunity i can ride it into town, and also get, up steep trails. The KLR was a bit too heavy for me so i decided on a lighter bike

sillymike
09-28-2005, 12:40
DS are all about compromise... They are not excellent at anything in particular, but they are doing a decent job at a lot of things...

If you were to think of them as girlfriend's, they will cook you a good meal, they'll go to the range with you, they go hiking, they'll take you out to town... Just don't ask her to compete for Ms America, or run the 100m sprint at the olympic!

I bought a KLR650 last spring and just love it!
- It's decent on the highway... once you get used to it.
- It will go just about anywhere off road... if you don't mind slowing down.
- It has a 6.1G gas tank ;f so you don't have to stop re-fuelling every few minutes.
- It's been around for quite some time, so they fixed all the bugs...
- There's nothing electronic on it... so just about anybody can work on it.
- Did I say it looks good?

Another good site is http://www.klr650.net tons of info and a good bunch of people!

If you like going places and are in no rush to get there... give it a try, you'll like it!

Safe riding,
Mike.

shark_za
09-29-2005, 01:54
You have to choose what side you want to lean towards, onroad comfort or offroad performance.

The DRZ-400 is by far the best of the thumper (400 little thumper) dual sports for offroad riding, and something like a V-Strom is on the other side, a road bike dressed up to look like an offroad bike.

I like the big singles for low down torque, and if you are going to ride anywhere on the road for even a short time the seat of the DRZ is well, a pain in the *****.

Right in the middle is the KLR650 and DR650, a little bit of both worlds.

The Honda mentioned is also got a crappy seat and is more suited for offroad work (does well even with weight) and then the BMW 650 GS is again a little more road orientated.

The BMW650GS is not the best selling bike in South Africa over 500cc for nothing, the Dakar model is just a little behind the KLR in offroad performance but right up there with the V-Strom or TransAlp on road manners.

Me, I have a KLR but I rode a DRZ-400 in Sodwana Bay this last weekend on some soft sand and I'm really impressed, might be an option instead of a KDX200 , the DRZ-400E without the road bits even better. Although there are some tracks within 5km of my house, I could get the DRZ-400S and just ride there without hooking up a trailer.
Anything longer like commuting to work, the KLR is great, I'd settle for a Dakar but the R30k difference in price and cost of maintenance makes the change a bit costly.

Then the big dual sports are another whole kettle of fish, the 1200GS and the older 1150GS are great for 2 up touring and the KTM950 Adventure is well, a Dakar winning beast.

klmmicro
11-21-2005, 14:05
Great bike Timothy658! Those old Elsinore's were (and are) great trail runners. I owned one years ago, it was my first Honda. I rode the snot out of it until I sold it to get an XL200.

I now own an XR650L that I am absolutely enthralled with. An old design with plenty of available parts, plus a decent aftermarket selection. A few of my DS friends own KLR's and DR's. I would not trade out the Honda for any of them.

A buddy of mine (road Motocross) just bought an XR650L. There is a big difference in how you ride them. DS bikes tend to be top heavy and are not suspended the same as an MX bike. You could check to see if your state will allow conversion of a 4 stroke MX to a DS. It is nearly impossible where i live, so street legal off the lot is almost manditory.

Timothy658
11-21-2005, 15:57
How are the dual sport tires in rain?

klmmicro
11-21-2005, 16:08
Originally posted by Timothy658
How are the dual sport tires in rain?

Depends a lot on tires and surface. I ride year round and as long as the tire has been scrubbed some I am okay. It is all in the tire. I find that DOT's are better road tires at the sacrifice of some dirt traction. The more aggressive the tread pattern you select (aggressive as in dirt knobbies), the more careful you will have to be in the wet. The bikes themselves are not too bad.

JAMES77257
11-28-2005, 16:39
DRZ400E w/White Bros dual sport kit = best of both worlds. IMO.

wrenrj1
12-01-2005, 19:38
I looked at dual sport bikes when shopping for a bike. I had a 1979 Suzuki TS 185 in H.S. (bought new) that was great, but geared pretty low.

I really liked the KLR 650 but being 5'9" it was on the edge of being a bit too tall for my comfort. I also noticed in pricing the different dual sport bikes that they command a premium price IMHO.

I had to think about what I wanted it for, which was basically a ride to work and back. I ended up buying a 1981 Kawasaki KZ550 in September. I'd still like to have a dual sport bike at some time.

PBCounty
12-01-2005, 22:32
...the DR200.

I just picked mine up two days ago. It's brand new, got it in blue/white.

Some might say (and I might agree) that a 200 just is not enough. I personally wanted a 350 or 400 but it seems no one is making a 350 anymore and the DR400 is simply too tall for me.

The DR200 will still move just fine at legal non-freeway speeds, it's pretty cheap, looks good, and has a very low seat which is important to me.

I have previously owned a TW200 and an XT225, both are also Dual Sports and are in production...I liked them both as well. The TW200 however is only capable on residential streets.