Hi Can we talk CB radio here? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Hi Can we talk CB radio here?

mossy500camo
09-24-2005, 16:51
If so. Can anyone recommend a Good mobile CB for under $100 and antenna? I have been looking at Midland, Uniden, Cobra and Cherekee.

I want it for hunting communications and emergency situations. Thanks!;c

TheDoubleGlock
09-24-2005, 21:41
A CB is a CB as far as I am concerned. I wouldn't put much thought into it. If I were you, I'd upgrade to a HAM radio... then lots of people could provide you with tons of technical advice. More than likely, you'd want a little 2 meter HT for the deer woods. That's what most of us do anyhow.

lomfs24
09-25-2005, 05:22
For as much good as a CB radio will do you for "emergencies" and hunting in the woods you would be better served by a couple FRS/GMRS hand held walkies that can be bought at Wally World for less than $50.

Don't expect to get a lot of rave reviews from the ham community about either. But you just have to understand they each have their place. If you are bent on getting a CB you can have tons to choose from off ebay. I have had several good Cobra's in my day that served me well. I don't remember the model number but there is a Cobra mobile that has sideband on it too. Which I have always wanted to play with.

mossy500camo
09-25-2005, 14:26
Ok Thanks.;b

A buddy of mine has a CB radio that can haul in signal from Waaaaayyyy out and send them back. I dont know what or how he has his rig set up?;c And he says theres no need for repeaters.

lomfs24
09-27-2005, 11:24
Originally posted by mossy500camo
Ok Thanks.;b

A buddy of mine has a CB radio that can haul in signal from Waaaaayyyy out and send them back. I dont know what or how he has his rig set up?;c And he says theres no need for repeaters. To say that a signal comes from Waaaaayyyyy out is a subjective statment. If you are talking about FRS/GMRS that could be 8 miles. If you are talking about CB that could be 50 miles, if you are talking about VHF FM that could be 200 miles. If you are talking about CB sideband that could be 1000 miles if you are talking about 40 meter AM sideband that could be 3000 miles.

If you want a CB though find out what your buddy has because it is probably a good one. If he is talking a long long way he probably has a model with sideband in it.

NashvilleGlock
09-27-2005, 20:45
Or he is breaking the law and Charlie can come down on his butt and throw him in jail;g I'd be willing to bet the "theres no need for repeaters" comment meant he was running a linear.

lomfs24
09-27-2005, 23:05
Originally posted by NashvilleGlock
Or he is breaking the law and Charlie can come down on his butt and throw him in jail;g I'd be willing to bet the "theres no need for repeaters" comment meant he was running a linear. Yeah, he could be running a linear. I used to have a linear though and I found that it didn't really increase my distance that much, not as much as you would expect anyway. What it did do was let you talk through.... or over someone else.

Don't take this a free ticket to break the law but there is so much else out there on CB radio that is wrong that a linear amp is probably not gonna draw much attention. I personally think that the FCC should reclaim that band and put it to good use.

As a disclaimer: Do not buy a linear amp for your CB, it's illegal. Plus it's a waste of good money.

martho
09-28-2005, 11:06
It has been a long time since I read the rules for the Children's Band, but I believe any contact over 150 miles is prohibited

VOB
09-28-2005, 18:50
Originally posted by mossy500camo
I want it for hunting communications and emergency situations. Thanks!;c

As stated above, CBs are pretty much all alike, you get 5 watts on 23 or 40 channels and an antenna.

For hunting comms I concur with the recommendation of UHF walkie talkies. Or a good whistle.

For emergencies, I recommend not using CB. You're more likely to get a criminal opportunist than anyone helpful.