I'm torn between a 2006 Audi A3 and a 2006 BMW 325i [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : I'm torn between a 2006 Audi A3 and a 2006 BMW 325i

tomr365
09-25-2005, 00:10
I've test driven both with a 6 speed manual transmission. For fit and finish, standard equipment, looks and style the BMW wins hands down in my opinion. The engine on the Audi actually seems better though. They have similar performance stats, but with the Audi you put your foot down and no matter what gear you're in or how low the revs are it pulls. It's the torquey turbo effect I guess. The bimmer on the other hand has a much smoother power, it was actually far more subdued then I was expecting (I test drove the Audi first).

I'm planning on doing a single lease payment no matter which I take.

The 3 year single lease payment before taxes for a base model Audi will be around $17K CDN. The single lease payment for a base model BMW 325i will be around $20K CDN + tax. Note that the BMW is a bigger car and comes with leatherette interior and Xenon lights standard. The Audi doesn't even have heated seats on the base model.

Aside from the initial savings insurance will be $45/month more expensive on the BMW ($260/month total... ughhh), plus I will have to install a satellite tracking device for around $300 + $10/month.

I'm also slightly concerned about the flashiness of the BMW. Like it may attract too much attention, or raise some eyebrows among people I work with, customers, etc.... I guess I don't really care what people think, and at 25 years old it's not that big a deal to drive a car like that, but I don't want to have the kind of car I have to worry about leaving parked on the street downtown at night. Plus I'll probably be less likely to get stuck in the snow in the FWD Audi.

Any opinions would be greatly appreciated.

OUSooner
09-25-2005, 07:32
While I do think the Audi is an underrated car it's not in the same league as the Bmw. Audi/VW have been have quality control issues of late as well. The 325 has been around forever and will serve you well.

Rob1035
09-25-2005, 08:42
a dedicated set of snow wheels/tires on that BMW and you should be fine. Of the two choices, I'd take the BMW, as I have never been confident in Audi/VW's reliability.

pnarq5
09-25-2005, 13:20
Neither will be as reliable as a good jap car, but the BMW will be the better of the two. I think the BMW is much better car too.

geminicricket
09-25-2005, 13:28
Get either one and tell us about it from time to time.

fisherm
09-25-2005, 14:14
Ultimately your choice. :)
But since you asked, then you must be looking for others opinions.

I understand your concern re: "flashhiness".
I had to talk the missus out of an X5 for the same reason.
However, the alternatives were less expensive than the X5.
:)

If you are going to spend that much money, get what you enjoy and will be proud of;
not a compromise so other people won't talk about your car.
If you are going to compromise, at least save some money...
to spend on something else that makes you happy.
Maybe a few training sessions out at gunsite? ;)

My preference is for the BMW.
They are sweet handling cars.
I find that they are one of the best all round cars.
9's across the board, rather than 10s and 7's averaging out to a 9 - like some others.

Being used to turbos and Type R vtecs, I did find the 325 lacked some uumph past 4500 which I kept waiting for.
It was still nice, just didn't have that kick in the pants I like.

Having said that - know that it will be spending some time at the shop, and that it will not be as reliable as a high end Japanese car.
Nothing major usually, but generally annoying electrical problems; power windows, sun roof, central locking - stuff like that.
The aluminium block however has been known to cause serious problems if you run it through a cold water puddle after a particularly "spirited" run. :)

Enjoy.
They are both nice choices.

tomr365
09-25-2005, 21:28
Thanks for the input everybody.

What's making this decision harder is not choosing one over the other, but choosing one over the other when the A3 is going to be significantly cheaper and I'm not sure I like it *that* much less than the BMW... and it's probably an all around more sensible purchase. Reliability isn't that much of a factor since it will be under warranty the whole time I have it either way.

I actually had the numbers wrong in my initial post. The BMW will be $21K + tax (for 3 years and 72,000 km), the A3 will be $16.5K + tax (for 3 years and 75,000km). Plus at my current rate I'll save about $1.5K on insurance over the course of the 3 years as well with the Audi.

So all in all with taxes and insurance added in we're talking roughly an extra $7.5K to drive the BMW over the course of the 3 years (I didn't count the Lojack because I would get one of those on either car, even though my insurance requires it on the BMW).

Basically unless BMW is willing to come down on their price tomorrow I'm going to get the Audi. Bling bling. ;)

fnfalman
09-26-2005, 17:14
The BMW will come included with scheduled service and maintenance. Does the Audi have the same deal or not? If not, then add the cost of service & maintenance to the budget.

As far as BMWs spending time in the shop, you people must have mistaken them for either Italian, British or American cars (although the X-series and Z-series are American assembled). ;)

Yes, they do have some minor niggling electrical issues now and then, but serious repair times and engine problems? Sorry, methinks not. I'm on my third Bimmer now and if that's a trend, I think that I would notice by now. If BMW were to have that much of a problem, I wouldn't have spent all of my hard earned monies on them all these years. I like BMW just fine but I sure as am not dedicated to a crappy marque unlike lots of people who are blind devotees to the brand names; whatever the brand names are.

As far as A3 vs 325i, well, I haven't test driven the latest Audis, so I don't know, but I've driven an A6 with the 2.5 turbo engine about four years ago and it was a competent vehicle. The suspension wasn't quite tight as the equivalent BMW 5-series, but wasn't bad.

Toss a coin.

chrismartin
09-26-2005, 17:31
I've had an Audi for the last 8 years or so (2 different models) I have friends that have BMW's. I like both a lot. I have found the interior fit and finish better in the Audi, the the BMW typically has a better engine (from a speed/HP perspective) given a similar price point. As you have noted you are comparing apples to oranges with the A3 Vs. 325, a better match would be the A4 to the 325. Regardless, I like the A3 a lot. I'm avoiding test driving it as I'm almost done paying for my A4 and I'd just end up with another car payment. :)

I'll be hitting 120K miles on my 98 A4 this week. Oh, the lease is good, these wonderful german cars are insanely expensive to fix out of warrantee.

Chris

pnarq5
09-26-2005, 17:38
I would only buy two makes of German cars-BMW and Porsche. To me, they are the only cars that the performance justifies the lack of reliability. If I could not afford the BMW or the Porsche, I would buy jap. Audi are too damn soft.

fisherm
09-26-2005, 17:53
Originally posted by chrismartin
...A4... +1

The A4 is the only Audi I would consider.
I am not a big Audi fan

tomr365
09-26-2005, 21:27
Thanks again for all the input.

I put a deposit down on a Jet black on black BMW 325i today. It's being shipped from a dealer in Toronto and should be under my butt on Friday.

I predict I will have a sleepless night on Thursday. ;f

SkaOG
09-27-2005, 13:13
both are great, my dad had an 89 BMW 325, it was alright, nothing special(but it was cool back in 89) but the new ones are supper nice. I could go with the 330CIs those are hot

fnfalman
09-27-2005, 14:34
Originally posted by tomr365

I put a deposit down on a Jet black on black BMW 325i today. It's being shipped from a dealer in Toronto and should be under my butt on Friday.

Don't get too carried away because if you go over the annual mileage, you WILL get raped.

tomr365
09-27-2005, 15:20
Originally posted by fnfalman
Don't get too carried away because if you go over the annual mileage, you WILL get raped.

10 cents each purchased in advance, 15 cents each purchased at lease end (that would be about 8/12 cents US). Not too bad.

dbrowne1
09-28-2005, 08:12
Originally posted by chrismartin
[B] I have found the interior fit and finish better in the Audi, the the BMW typically has a better engine (from a speed/HP perspective) given a similar price point.

Funny. I would have said the opposite. Is your A4 a 1.8T, and do you have a performance chip? If not, GET ONE. It will add literally 50hp and 80ft-lb of torque.

Oh, the lease is good, these wonderful german cars are insanely expensive to fix out of warrantee.

Only if you take them to the dealer. ;) Most work you can do yourself, the rest can be handled by a carefully selected private shop who won't butt ream you on work like the dealer.

c5367
09-28-2005, 19:38
The BMW will come included with scheduled service and maintenance. Does the Audi have the same deal or not? If not, then add the cost of service & maintenance to the budget.

.....Toss a coin.

The BMW program offers service and maintenance up to 50k. Considering that the oil change intervals are 15k, and that (just about) anything else can and should be considered a manufacturer defect and hence covered under any warranty, the "free service" plan amounts to 3 free oil changes in practice.

I've driven both. While both are great cars, the best value based on fuel costs, insurance costs, depreciation and purchase price for comparably equipped models, the Audi was the clear winner by a substantial margin (even when equipped with quattro over the BMW's RWD). considering you'd be going the lease route and have already crunched the numbers, that may not be relevant. For sheer practicality, again the Audi is a better choice. I also think it look better. The new 3-series doesn't appeal to me all that much, aesthetically speaking. The Bimmer OTOH is more satisfying to drive hard. The RWD that makes it less practical in the snow makes it more of a thrill in twisty environs.

It's definitely a tough choice, but if I couldn't get the 330i, I'd go for the Audi. If you were to widen the search, I think the Acura TL might be of interest. I was in a similar situation about a month ago, and that was the car that finally won. It ended up being a MUCH better value than either if the German rides.

c5367
09-28-2005, 19:45

Whoops!

I think you'll have a lot of fun with the 325. One of the dealers I went to for to test drive one just handed me the key and told me to be back whenever. ;N Man, that was fun!

kawalerzysta
09-28-2005, 22:02
Go with BMW. A3 is nothing more then overprice Golf GTI.

fnfalman
09-29-2005, 15:24
Nah, Audi and VW only "shared" a few things.;P

And the BMW scheduled service is more than just an oil change;) And an oil change with synthetic oil is probably going to set you back at least a few bucks. Times three, that's still money you have to shell out. Not that BMW's scheduled service is "free". It's not "free", if you know what I mean.

kawalerzysta
09-29-2005, 18:31
Nah, Audi and VW only "shared" a few things.;P

And the BMW scheduled service is more than just an oil change;) And an oil change with synthetic oil is probably going to set you back at least a few bucks. Times three, that's still money you have to shell out. Not that BMW's scheduled service is "free". It's not "free", if you know what I mean.
Either way BMW, Audi, MB, and VW are overpriced thanks to labor unions. In reality they should cost a lot of less.

dbrowne1
09-29-2005, 18:41
Originally posted by kawalerzysta
Either way BMW, Audi, MB, and VW are overpriced thanks to labor unions. In reality they should cost a lot of less.

Uh...kind of like American cars?

And most VWs are made in Mexico and Brazil now.

kawalerzysta
09-30-2005, 07:00
Originally posted by dbrowne1
Uh...kind of like American cars?

And most VWs are made in Mexico and Brazil now.
In America you still get more car for your money.

dbrowne1
09-30-2005, 08:36

Yeah...by going to a German or Japansese dealer, in America.

fnfalman
09-30-2005, 15:02

Yeah, by buying Japanese cars.;)

epsylum
09-30-2005, 17:52
I like both, but the fact that the A3 lacks a quattro option kills it in my book. It's just a more expensive and gussied up golf now. I would take an 06 Jetta GLI over it.

So the Beemer being RWD pretty much makes that decision easy.

The BMW.

Now if you had said something with AWD like an A4 or an S4 ( :drool: ), I would say Audi.

Liquid
09-30-2005, 20:49
neither, wait for the 325 coupe to come out in a few months.

james

tomr365
10-02-2005, 17:22
So I picked up the car on Friday.

I have absolutely no regrets about this purchase. It's just a beautiful car all around. I love the way the outside looks from every angle, I love the interior, I love the way it feels on the road, the sound of the engine, the acceleration, the handling, everything. It just has so much style and "soul." Amazing. I am extremely extremely confident that this was the car for me. I have nothing but good things to say about it.

Oh, and fnfalman I can see why a pu---hound like you has a BMW. ;) Women LOVE this car. ;N

Thanks again everyone for the input. I appreciate it. ;c ;c

GlockRat
10-02-2005, 17:28
Post some pics when you can, I'd love to see it.
I picked up a '98 328i blk/blk about 2 months ago. My first BMW and it's a blast to drive. Still working out a few problems with it though.

Let's see that thing!
:cool:

chrismartin
10-02-2005, 17:34
Originally posted by dbrowne1
Funny. I would have said the opposite. Is your A4 a 1.8T, and do you have a performance chip? If not, GET ONE. It will add literally 50hp and 80ft-lb of torque.

No doubt, but I've got the 2.8. Chips don't really add too much there. About my only option would be the supercharger kit, but last I checked it was around $4K.

Only if you take them to the dealer. ;) Most work you can do yourself, the rest can be handled by a carefully selected private shop who won't butt ream you on work like the dealer.

I already have the Vag-Com USB cable. The Bentley A4 CDROM Manual on the way and I just got a jack kit. Next up some decent tools.

C

tomr365
10-02-2005, 20:40
Originally posted by GlockRat
Post some pics when you can, I'd love to see it.
I picked up a '98 328i blk/blk about 2 months ago. My first BMW and it's a blast to drive. Still working out a few problems with it though.

Let's see that thing!
:cool:

You really can't go wrong with black/black. This is my first BMW too. It's actually my first ever brand new car so I am really really enjoying it.

I just went down to the garage to snap a couple. Not great, but here they are. I'll take some better ones tomorrow in the daylight and whore them properly in their own thread. ;)

tomr365
10-02-2005, 20:44

tomr365
10-02-2005, 20:45

CaliTheKid
10-03-2005, 00:05
Enjoy it!!!! I have an '05 545i and it's the best car I have ever driven.

tomr365
10-03-2005, 08:14
Hot of the presses!

Taken this a.m. in my hood.

tomr365
10-03-2005, 08:15
... and a front view.

pnarq5
10-03-2005, 12:01
tomr365, NICE CAR! I was so worried that BMW would not be able to top the old 3, but they sure have. I drove some a few weeks back, and I loved it.
Enjoy it, Pete

fnfalman
10-03-2005, 12:38
Yep, the E90s are a lot better than the E46s. BMW always moves forward.

I don't buy cars to impress anybody but myself, nonetheless it's a bonus that chicks dig it!

Norman
10-03-2005, 19:28
That BMW looks very very nice. The neighborhood up there also looks nice. How is Montreal?

Liquid
10-03-2005, 20:11
beautiful car i love the black on black to bad i live in south florida. its getting harder and harder to wait for the coupe. i was wondering which interior did you get leather or leatherette (sp) and whats the difference.

james

tomr365
10-03-2005, 21:21
Originally posted by Norman
That BMW looks very very nice. The neighborhood up there also looks nice. How is Montreal?

Thanks. Montreal has its pluses and minuses. Pluses being that it is a truly beautiful city, particularly this area of downtown (the old port). Right up there with Paris in terms of sheer beauty. Take a walk around at night this time of year to truly appreciate it... I need to get around to bringing out my camera with a tripod. It's also a very safe city. Great nightlife, great restaurants. Take a walk up "the main" on St-Laurent above Sherbrooke in the summer to see what I'm talking about.

Negatives are the language issues, although I suppose it is part of what makes the city unique. Also, the climate is not ideal. Insanely hot and humid in the summer, and bitterly cold in the winter. The huge difference between the hotest day of the year and the coldest day of the year also makes for really bumpy roads.

tomr365
10-03-2005, 21:40
Originally posted by Liquid
beautiful car i love the black on black to bad i live in south florida. its getting harder and harder to wait for the coupe. i was wondering which interior did you get leather or leatherette (sp) and whats the difference.

james

I have leatherette. It seems as good as the real leather to me. They had two 3-series cars side by side in the showroom, one was leatherette the other wasn't and even the salesman took a minute to figure out which was which. I'm sure die-hards will tell you the leatherette sucks but personally the base model had everything I needed (although Canadian base 325i's come a bit better equipped then the American ones - xenon lights for example). It seems even harder to tell the difference with the black leatherette. One thing I read when I was researching the difference between the two, and I have noticed a bit is that the leatherette doesn't seem to "breathe" as well in the heat. Although I can't really compare it to anything except the leather on my previous car (Volvo S70). I like the leatherette better then the Volvo leather since it isn't all shiny.

Oh, and I don't know if it's the same on American 325i's but I saw a beige interior that came with the titanium trim and it looked horrible. Make sure to get the wood trim if you go with a light interior. Or at least see what it look like to see if you like it.

GlockRat
10-04-2005, 18:33
Very nice looking car! Now go find some twisty roads and see what fun it is!

Here's a pic of mine...

tomr365
10-04-2005, 22:31
Originally posted by GlockRat
Very nice looking car! Now go find some twisty roads and see what fun it is!

Here's a pic of mine...

Nice. Is it a manual? What are the problems you're having with it?

Goaltender66
10-05-2005, 08:00
My 330i after carving up some backcountry roads in Frederick, MD:

http://www.johntant.com/bridgesmall.jpg

Love a black/black bimmer, but just know it's only going to be clean for five minutes after you wash it. Also be prepared to invest heavily in wheel cleaner...BMW OEM brake pads throw out dust like crazy.

But it's worth it. :)

GlockRat
10-05-2005, 08:33
Nice. Is it a manual? What are the problems you're having with it?

Mine's an auto- for the wife's sake! ;Q

I have a vibration in the front, I think it's my right front control arm bushing which I'll be changing this weekend.
About 2 weeks after I bought the car the dang thermostat broke so I had to fix that also, went ahead and replaced the lower radiator hose and overflow tank(had a crack). Plus a few other little things that needed attention.
The BMW parts guys are starting to recognize me when I show up- not a good thing! ;g

pnarq5
10-05-2005, 09:10
Reliability! That is the one thing keeping BMW from being the best all around car in my book(which is the best all around car in my book? not sure). They are the best performers(in it's class), but their reliability is not all that great. Their electronics really blow. Ever seen BMW nav?
I still love them, but will not own one until I can REALLY afford it.
Can't wait to see the next M3. Hope for a 4-door, if so, might be my next ride(in about two years)!

tgtshuter
10-08-2005, 00:16
So I picked up the car on Friday.

I have absolutely no regrets about this purchase. It's just a beautiful car all around. I love the way the outside looks from every angle, I love the interior, I love the way it feels on the road, the sound of the engine, the acceleration, the handling, everything. It just has so much style and "soul." Amazing. I am extremely extremely confident that this was the car for me. I have nothing but good things to say about it.

Oh, and fnfalman I can see why a pu---hound like you has a BMW. ;) Women LOVE this car. ;N

Thanks again everyone for the input. I appreciate it. ;c ;c

Congrats!!! ;c I know you'll love it.

I'll be ordering my 325 in about 5 months and I'm already excited!;a