Picking up a PSP today [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Picking up a PSP today

Godfather
09-25-2005, 10:44
Any tips or suggestions? I travel with my job so I figured this was the best of all worlds without shelling out the cash for a nice laptop. I plan to use this mainly for movies, mp3s, and the web when a signal allows. I don't want to invest alot in games, but plan to buy one or two that I know have hours of play time plus being fun enough to continue replaying them (the reason I love racing sims).

Odd question... have any of you PSP owners ever picked up a signal during a flight? Web, or another PSP for multiplayer games? Just curious if anyone has had this happen.

funbob
09-25-2005, 11:46
Get a decent carrying case. I like the Logitech Playgear Pocket (http://www.logitech.com/index.cfm/products/details/US/EN,CRID=2362,CONTENTID=10181). A screen protector wouldn't hurt either. Ditch the wimpy 32MB memory stick and buy the biggest one you can afford. You can get a 1GB card for less than $100 online. You can put your own videos on the memory stick in addition to mp3's. I'd also ditch the crappy headphones that come with it and get something more comfortable and better sounding.

Be sure the first thing you do is upgrade to the v.2 firmware to get the web browser and some other nifty things. Web browing on the PSP works surprisingly well actually.

The movies are great! I didn't think I'd use it very much for movies when I first got it but now I probably use it at least as much for movies as for games. The quality is amazing, it's like looking at a little HD monitor. Everyone that's looked at it is amazed by it, even the non-techno types. They can't believe that kind of picture can come out of a little handheld device.

Haven't taken my PSP on a flight yet so I can't comment on that. Using the wifi is disallowed anyway so I wouldn't bother trying.

Regarding the games, I like racing sims too. I can't wait for GT4 to be released for this thing. And the F1 game looks pretty decent too.

The games I have right now are...

Wipeout Pure, which is a futuristic hovercraft racing game. Excellent graphics and the developer is regularly releasing downloadable addons with new tracks and ships. The game is a bit pokey at the lower levels, but start to unlock the faster modes and ships and you'll have your hands full. The game also features a great techno soundtrack that I love.

Need for Speed Underground Rivals. Good arcade racer. Plays very much like the console versions. Good selection of cars and they've managed to cram in as many upgrades as the console versions. The sound and music is great.

Untold Legends. Quite a good RPG. The levels are huge and there are 4 character classes to choose from. This is a blast in multiplayer. The music is a little cheesy but it can be turned off.

Darkstalkers Chronicle. A port of the excellent Dreamcast games of the same name, this 2D fighter is a bit of a throwback in that it doesn't feature cutting edge graphics but the sound is great and it has great over the top japanese style character design.

I just bought Madden '06 yesterday and I haven't really gotten a chance to play with it but it looks like a winner. I can already tell multiplayer games are going to be great.

Godfather
09-25-2005, 15:59
I just got home with my new technotoy, and it is on the charger. I picked up a movie, and a 128 card (the biggest the store had.

My friend gave me a screen protector that he is not using, as well as a car charger. HE also let me borrow Untold Legends, and Underground rivals. I am planning on trying to find a used copy of Wipeout b/c I loved the origional series...the soundtracks ROCK.

Do you have to connect through wireless to do the updates? I don't have wireless access here at the house, so it may have to wait.

GT4....can't tell you how excited I am about getting this.

funbob
09-25-2005, 18:34
Originally posted by Godfather
I just got home with my new technotoy, and it is on the charger. I picked up a movie, and a 128 card (the biggest the store had.

Do you have to connect through wireless to do the updates? I don't have wireless access here at the house, so it may have to wait.

GT4....can't tell you how excited I am about getting this.

You can download the update manually and do it with a USB cable. The PSP is recognized as a mass storage device when you plug it it or if you have a card reader, just pop in the memory stick and transfer the update to it. Manual update instructions are here (http://www.us.playstation.com/PSP.aspx?id=softwareupdate/pc_200.html).

I think you'll fill up that 128MB card pretty quick. And if you bought it at a retail store, you probably got burned. The prices online are sooo much better. You can get double the card for you money without even trying.

Latest info I'm hearing on GT4 is January '06. Any more delays and I'm going to go crazy! ;f It was supposed to be a launch title. GTA: Liberty City is also another one I'm eagerly awaiting.

Godfather
09-25-2005, 22:07
Oh yeah, I'm a big fan of the GTA series so that is also on my list.

Now for the bad news.... I've got a dead pixel :( It isn't noticable, but I am one of those people that wants to get what he paid for. I plan to use it this week, and return it next weekend when I get back from this business trip. Then on to the mods, and downloads.

Quint57
09-25-2005, 22:29
What the h#ll are you guys talking about???

I thought his was a PSP!

http://www.hkpro.com/psp.jpg

funbob
09-26-2005, 01:37
Originally posted by Quint57
What the h#ll are you guys talking about???

I thought his was a PSP!

http://www.hkpro.com/psp.jpg

This is a PSP... ;f

http://home.comcast.net/~bobthemtnbiker/pspgt.jpg

And Godfather, if all you have is one dead pixel, I'd consider yourself lucky, especially if it's in an unobtrusive spot, like along the edge of the screen. I doubt you'll do much better exchanging it and you could stand to do a lot worse.

Godfather
09-26-2005, 06:03
HAHAHA, that PSP won't play movies.

The dead pixel is actually in the center of the screen about a half inch from the top edge. I think it will go un-noticed pretty easily though, I am just anal about my a/v stuff so I thought I was going to be picky about it. If it won't get any worse, and trading it might put me worse off, I will probably end up keeping this one.

I'm off to put it to the true test this week on it's first business trip. Wish me luck. I will report back when I get home friday.

Thanks for all the help.

Godfather
10-01-2005, 08:14
Well I just got settled in after my trip, and I can say that I am honestly very happy with my purchase. The only problem I had was trying to get onto a wifi connection to do the update. One of the hotels that I staied at, and the ATL airport had connections that the PSP was able to find, but for some reason it would not do the network update. MAybe I was doing something wrong, but I don't know.

Godfather
10-01-2005, 22:51
posting from my PSP now, thanks for your help with the update. this thing is amazing!

sigpro-fessor
10-03-2005, 18:59
I'm in the market for a psp. May get one this weekend after I pick up my sig, the wi-fi is cool but I can surf the net anywhere I can get a nextel signal. In fact I'm posting this from my blackberry no need for a hot spot to surf the web. Granted its dial up speed. I'm also awaiting gt4. Anyone burning their own psp movies?

sigpro-fessor
10-03-2005, 19:08
I'm in the market for a psp. May get one this weekend after I pick up my sig, the wi-fi is cool but I can surf the net anywhere I can get a nextel signal. In fact I'm posting this from my blackberry no need for a hot spot to surf the web. Granted its dial up speed. I'm also awaiting gt4. Anyone burning their own psp movies?

Godfather
10-03-2005, 19:17
As long as the format is right you can play any video file you want to from the memory card (assuming that you spend the cheezy for a big enough card to hold the movies). There are mods out there to play many formats, but the main one is MP4 (Mpeg4).

sigpro-fessor
10-26-2005, 00:43
Hey godfather what kind of run times are u getting off the battery? I'm going to indonesia I imagine I'd need several batteries to stay in business there and back. There's no way to charge it while I'm there as I think they use 220 outlets there.

Cmoosh
10-26-2005, 18:26
Just as an fyi i usually play my psp for around 4 hours+ with battery to spare althoguh i do usually play with the brightness on its lowest, so that helps alot with battery times when i am out and about and in a building where daylight doesn't catch the screen, now if you turn the battery all the way up you really cut your battery time i think to around 2-3 hours.

Although i am sure there are some other people that don't got rough approximations like my responses but at least you got soem ball park figures

DreamWeaver88
10-31-2005, 01:04
I love my PSP. Games are great, movies look awesome on it, and the wireless gameplay and internet are great.

Make sure you keep a screen protector on it at all times. Without one the screen gets scratches if you look at it wrong.

DW