Never made it out the door [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Never made it out the door

NMGlocker
09-25-2005, 17:34
My nephew works at a large Honda dealer.
They had a total squid come in and buy a CBR1000RR, he's never ridden a bike before in his life. After giving him the keys, they watch as he stalls the bike so many times trying to get rolling that he runs the battery down.
(wait it gets better)
After recharging the battery, the salesman mentions that he might want to give it a little more gas before he lets out the clutch. Not wanting to continue looking like a moron, the squid revs her up to about 5k and dumps the clutch. The rear tire spins on the slick concrete shop floor, he gets a little crooked, the tire catches and he rockets 20' across the shop and nails the Coke machine.
One wrecked bike (fairing, mirrors, front fender) one bruised Squid, and one totalled Coke machine.
~rf

Jtemple
09-25-2005, 18:30
Hah, hilarious. I'm glad I got a smaller bike to start on...

Here it is after a handlebar and mirror swap. I love my SV650! I just finished breaking it in this weekend. It sure sounds different at 10,000 rpm!

http://photos1.blogger.com/img/297/5980/1024/P9241014.jpg

khaitran
09-25-2005, 19:02
Haha that is so funny, ive seen videos of guys eating eat trying to just get going, thanks for the laugh

FoxMustang
09-25-2005, 20:19
Man, I would have paid to see that, LOL ;f

JAREDG21
09-26-2005, 06:37
^b ^b ^b I loved it when morons bite off more than they can chew.

ChaZ
09-26-2005, 09:39
What? No pictures? :(

-ChaZ

fnfalman
09-26-2005, 10:30
JTemple,

The handlebar looks sweet.

But back to topic, yes, it is funny in a "haha" way because the guy didn't kill himself or break anything too serious and hopefully he learned his lesson - but probably not.

It's not funny that the Honda shop would sell him something like that. Don't get me wrong, it's up to the buyer to close the deal and the shop has no legal obligations to not sell him one if he were idiotic enough. But shame on the shop for not having some ethics and maybe steered the guy or at least attempted to steer the guy toward something more manageable. If they did and the guy still wants a liter bike, then oh well, so sad too bad, but if they didn't, then shame on them.

I am not one of those people shy about calling names so I'll relay some of my experiences here:

Irv Seaver BMW refuses to sell the new K1200S and K1200R to beginners. Yep, they refuse to make the sales of those missiles to beginners.

Honda of Hollywood also sells BMW and they wouldn't sell me the old K1200RS (a "mere" 130-hp bike) when I told them that I was out of the moto riding scene for 13 years.

Malcolm Smith in Riverside sells Suzuki, Yamaha, BMW, etc., one of their sales rep told me that I should recommend a 600-cc supersport for a beginner rider (this said rider is the younger brother of my friend) when I went looking for a GS500 or something small for the kid to start out with. And the same rep told me that the kid would be ready for a liter bike three months afterward and then, winkie, winkie, he would make a "good" deal for me on the K1200S.

Now, guess which dealerships I have respect for and recommend and which one I trash every time I get the chance?

Once again, I say loudly that THE BUYER ASSUMES ALL RESPONSIBILITIES, but gee whiz, can a dealership be that cheesy? OK, so you made the sale on the liter bike or the supersport and the guy went out to kill himself or hurt. Chances are the family is going to make a big stink and while the dealership won't be liable, they will suffer bad marks. After all this is the age of the Internet.

epsylum
09-26-2005, 20:27
My brother told me about when he work at a dealership, some 16 year old rich kid wanted a Busa for his first bike. Everyone was trying to talk him out of it. His parents, the salesman, etc. He flat out refused to even try anything else other than the Busa. Well his parents let him have it (mistake #1). My brother said it was back in about a week later. The forks were smashed so far back they cracked the engine cases. It looked like it hit a semi head on (and may have for all I know) and it was absoutely totaled. BArely anything of value to part off of it either. I guess it only had like 100 miles on the odometer.

I don't agree with flat out refusal to sell, but letting the person know what they are getting into is a VERY good idea. I see all these squids rolling 06 GSXR 1000s in flip flops and shorts. They have NO clue just how much power they are sitting on. They think they are ready, but it is VERY apperent they aren't. From everything I heard from first hand experience on the new Gixxers, they make even the ZX-10 feel slow. I know of people getting 190 rwp out of them with basically bolt-ons. Add in the fact those bikes are about as light (if not lighter) than most 600s and have an even crazier suspension geometry, that's one bike that does NOT go easy on mistakes.

White Buffalo
09-26-2005, 21:48
Oh well. Damn shame, but I know that'll be a lesson learned.

As far as not selling liter bikes to beginners, I say give them what they want. Personal responsibility folks.

phxtravis
09-26-2005, 22:09
They should've told him more than just "to give it a little more gas before he lets out the clutch", maybe actually SHOWED him how to ride for a couple of minutes. My personal experience is that most motorcycle salesman are *******s(worse than car sales), the place where I bought mine(Metro motorsports) they blatantly lied to me(salesman, sales manager, and finance guy).

BikerRN
09-27-2005, 06:59
I have a Co-worker that has 0 riding expirience and wants a Suzuki GSX 1000 as a first bike. I tried to talk her into a 250 or 500 for the first year to learn to ride. I also tried to tell her that any monkey can go fast in a straight line, the real skill is in slow speed handling and twisties.

Do you think she would listen? Heck no! I just plan on attending her funeral soon. She claims to have been on the back of a bike that went 174 MPH and I called BS one night. One of the ER Docs also called BS. Now she won't even talk bikes when that Doc and I are working.

We have a saying in the ER, "Stupidity should hurt" and I think this one is going to hurt big time. I'm keeping my calander open for hospital visits or funeral, whichever comes first in her case.

stinx
09-27-2005, 07:50
THe dealer's and Ass for selling an obviousley inexperienced rider such a high performance machine. A good delaer would not have done that.

One Ragged Hole
09-27-2005, 08:34
My friend bought a brand new Yamaha SX500 (a long time ago) and the guy told him "Break it in right, NO over 4,000 for the first 500 miles. When he got it behind the shop to check it out he started it up, wicked up the revs, and dumped the clutch a 8,000 (I was standing next to him watching the tach) and he proceeded to rocket across the lot and wound up in the berm next to the shop. Scratched the hell out of the tank. O miles at this point. The Salesman just shook his head and walked back into the shop. 1 month later (200 miles at this point) he smashed it up against a car at 70mph and damn near tore his leg off. It's STILL in his garage to this day. Not his leg, the bike. His scars are really something I wouldn't want on me.
O-R-H

epsylum
09-27-2005, 10:58
I think the worst part of the whole deal is idiots like these raise the insurance rates on the rest of us and give insurance companies data to back-up thier "blacklisting" policies of yore.

I am all for people getting what they want, but I think someone (*ahem* dealers) should take a good appraisal of the rider before selling them the baddest, fastest, road-rocket on the planet for a first bike. When I hear of people buying CBR-1000RRs for a first bike and need to "practice for the riding test" in the parking lot, I think just how much these morons are causing our insurance rates to jump up. I mean hear about people paying more money per month for insurance on a bike than the bike payment, even on experienced riders. I have layed a bike down before. I didn't file an insurance claim. Why should others have to pay because I screwed up? Not to mention the fact that they would also just raise my rates. "Personal responsibility" is what this country is lacking.

Same goes for jackasses riding off-road on property and then get into a wreck and hurt themselves, then sue the property owner. WTF? You screwed up, not the poperty owner. Now it's a SOB to find a decent rinding spot without people freaking out over the fear of lawsuits. Thanks for ruining it for the rest of us, morons!

DaisyCutter
09-27-2005, 11:24
+1 Falman

At least the idiot f'd up the dealer's Coke machine. I can't abide dealer's that sell the wrong product to people and then LAUGH when it turns out bad. It woulda been better had the idiot torpedoed the sales manager's Corvette on the drivers door.

Ultimately, the buyer is responsible. But that shouldn't preclude the dealer from doing the right thing.

FoxMustang
09-27-2005, 15:29
Just my two cents, but I don't think it's the dealer's job to protect someone from themself. If someone comes in and is hell bent on buying the fastest thing on two wheels, I think they'd be silly to turn that person away (to go to another dealership).

That said - I think it's a good thing if a delaer suggests that a new rider start small (and if the new rider refuses to listen to good advice, that's his problem). I also think it's a bad thing if a dealer tries to push a new rider into buying too big a first bike (either because they're ignorant of what a fast bike can do, or because they want the bigger commission from a more expensive bike, or both).

The original story didn't mention how the dealer acted during the sale, so I'll reserve judgement. The buyer, on the other hand... :)

ChaZ
09-27-2005, 16:59
I want to add something to this thread. I must say that I am bit confused. It sound like the guy who crashed doesn't have any experience with bikes.

Is it not generally assumed that if anyone want to buy a motorbike, their driver license should be endorsed for riding motorbike? In order to have your driver license endorsed for motorbikes, wouldn't that mean you already have taken motorcycle safety course or taken motorbike test at local DMV?

If that guy wasn't endorsed for motorbike, it isn't dealers' fault for selling it to him. He should have known that he wasn't allowed to ride motorcycle in the first place.

That's why I will have hard time placing blame on the dealers. I think it's the motorbike rider who have to assume the responsibility for their safety and wisdom of buying a proper bike of their choice and to ride it safely...

-ChaZ

fnfalman
09-27-2005, 17:04
I don't blame the dealer at all for making a legal sales. Legally they can do it, ethically...that's another story. But if I were in the market for a bike, I'd rather spend my money on a reputable and ethical dealership. Even if I weren't buying a bike but my acquaintances do, I'd rather them spend their hard earned money on a dealership that isn't out to make a buck by hook or by crook either.

Anvil
09-27-2005, 21:09
When I got my KLR 650 I told the store owner, Kawasaki of Memphis (Della Gant) that I was uncomfortable buying a bike with no riding experience so she offered to take a couple of hours out of her day and train me on a KLR 250. She worked with me until I had the most basic aspects down and had a foundation to work from. I rode my bike home that day brand new from the dealership... (scared to death). I've only got about 1,500 miles on it so far but I'm confident taking it anywhere now.

jthuang
09-28-2005, 07:06
Originally posted by ChaZ

Is it not generally assumed that if anyone want to buy a motorbike, their driver license should be endorsed for riding motorbike? In order to have your driver license endorsed for motorbikes, wouldn't that mean you already have taken motorcycle safety course or taken motorbike test at local DMV?

Dunno about the state in question, but in Pennsylvania you don't need to take any test or course to get your Class M permit. You need to take a road course for your Class M license. Any PA resident with a PA Class C (regular) driver's license and an extra $15 can get his or her Class M permit through the mail.

Jtemple
09-28-2005, 09:53
Originally posted by Anvil
When I got my KLR 650 I told the store owner, Kawasaki of Memphis (Della Gant) that I was uncomfortable buying a bike with no riding experience so she offered to take a couple of hours out of her day and train me on a KLR 250. She worked with me until I had the most basic aspects down and had a foundation to work from. I rode my bike home that day brand new from the dealership... (scared to death). I've only got about 1,500 miles on it so far but I'm confident taking it anywhere now. That's exactly where I'm at now on my SV650. I was scared to death going home from the dealership. At the same time, it felt very cool!

Jtemple
09-28-2005, 09:54
Originally posted by jthuang
Dunno about the state in question, but in Pennsylvania you don't need to take any test or course to get your Class M permit. You need to take a road course for your Class M license. Any PA resident with a PA Class C (regular) driver's license and an extra $15 can get his or her Class M permit through the mail. You have to take a written exam to get your M permit in NE. Later on, you just have to take the riding test to get the full license.

White Buffalo
09-28-2005, 15:34
I guess that the next fairly unexperienced shooter that hops on this board wanting to buy a glock, will be recomended that they start off with a single shot .22 huh?

Or how about the unethical dealer that sells a person, who hasn't shot a pistol much, a glock... guess you guys won't do business there anymore.

It's the same difference, keep your finger off the trigger or keep your rpms down and take it slow. Personal responsibility.

fnfalman
09-28-2005, 17:53
No, but I would curse the dealer that tells the beginner that it's fine to buy the 454 Casull and just "take it easy with the trigger pull". ;)

A novice isn't going to kill his or herself by shooting a Glock, even a "powerful" Glock such as the G20. But he's or she's probably going to break something shooting a .454 Casull, a .500 Magnum or a .460 Magnum and that's what these supersports and superbikes are the equivalent to.

A Glock is at best a Suzuki GS500's analog - almost the perfect vehicle for a beginner.

White Buffalo
09-28-2005, 18:09
Originally posted by fnfalman
No, but I would curse the dealer that tells the beginner that it's fine to buy the 454 Casull and just "take it easy with the trigger pull". ;)

A novice isn't going to kill his or herself by shooting a Glock, even a "powerful" Glock such as the G20. But he's or she's probably going to break something shooting a .454 Casull, a .500 Magnum or a .460 Magnum and that's what these supersports and superbikes are the equivalent to.

A Glock is at best a Suzuki GS500's analog - almost the perfect vehicle for a beginner. I was actually refering to the glocks nonexistant external safty issue, as it were. YOu know, don't put your finger on the trigger unless you are ready to shoot..... well, don't gooseneck the throttle unless you are ready to scoot. Honestly though, a novice can and just might kill him/herself shooting a glock. It's not the size that counts at all, but the safe handling of the device. If that person would have reved a 750 and dropped the clutch in the same manner, he would've gotten the same result as with the liter bike... maybe not as intense, but the same basic result non the less. The kid was an ass either way you slice it.

All in all though, I'm just having fun here;e

Texas T
09-30-2005, 19:50
Originally posted by White Buffalo
As far as not selling liter bikes to beginners, I say give them what they want. Personal responsibility folks. +1

10-01-2005, 02:52
I take the personal responsibility position on this. The consumer should know what they are buying. There's plenty of information out there now that people can tap into to buy just about anything. I think the dealer's responsibility is to sell the customers what they want, not what the dealer thinks they need. Now, it may be good business to guide an otherwise clueless person in the right direction, but I don't see it rising to the level of a responsibility on their part.

Buyer beware.

Cryptoboy
10-04-2005, 14:11
Originally posted by phxtravis
They should've told him more than just "to give it a little more gas before he lets out the clutch", maybe actually SHOWED him how to ride for a couple of minutes. My personal experience is that most motorcycle salesman are *******s(worse than car sales), the place where I bought mine(Metro motorsports) they blatantly lied to me(salesman, sales manager, and finance guy).

I'd like to hear more about your experience at Metro.

I agree, it IS the consumers responsibility when all is said and done. That doesn't mean the dealers can't have a little decency and at least try to get a rider (or rider wannabe) into something a little more practical to start off on though. I'd rather have the repeat business/customer loyalty because I tried to get them onto a bike that won't kill them/turn them away from the sport, than get an extra $200 commission check by going for the higher bike (but then I've never been in sales, so what do I know?) :cool:

White Buffalo
10-04-2005, 16:29
Originally posted by Cryptoboy
I'd like to hear more about your experience at Metro.

I agree, it IS the consumers responsibility when all is said and done. That doesn't mean the dealers can't have a little decency and at least try to get a rider (or rider wannabe) into something a little more practical to start off on though. I'd rather have the repeat business/customer loyalty because I tried to get them onto a bike that won't kill them/turn them away from the sport, than get an extra $200 commission check by going for the higher bike (but then I've never been in sales, so what do I know?) :cool: Don't get me wrong, I'm no0t at all against a salesperson recomending something else if he/she thinks the rub will kill themselves within the first week, but I saw more than one post saying that the dealer is essentially scum if they sell the bike the person wants in the end. That to me screams "It Takes A Village"... and it doesn't. Personal responsibility.

fnfalman
10-05-2005, 07:45
It doesn't smack of "take a village" when the sales rep is telling you that you'll tire of that R6/CBR600/Gixxer6 in three months so might as well buy a liter bike now.

TimP
10-05-2005, 12:52
FNFALMAN: Thats what the guy that I bought the 600R from said. he was selling his 600 because he wanted a "real bike", he got a new R1 after I bought his bike. I just found out he laid it down going way too fast in the twisties last week.

That 600 is all I need. It will take me faster than I want to go, and quicker than I need to get there. Sure I will get spanked by the larger literbikes, but I'm willing to bet after I do a few riding/racing schools I'll be able to use 100% of what that 600 will give me THEN go out and get a literbike and actually be able to use all 1000cc's. I couldnt imagine learning to ride on a 1000cc sportbike. One flick of the wrist and your doing 80mph, or you flip your bike trying to do a wheelie.

ChaZ
10-05-2005, 14:22
Originally posted by TimP
FNFALMAN: One flick of the wrist and your doing 80mph, or you flip your bike trying to do a wheelie.

Funny, that's what a guy who rides on 250cc engine sized bike would say about 600cc bikes...

-ChaZ

Gravity
10-05-2005, 16:04
Originally posted by phxtravis

Ditto
Well said.
When they obviously saw what was happening here they should have stepped in a little.
;c

fnfalman
10-05-2005, 18:42
Originally posted by ChaZ
Funny, that's what a guy who rides on 250cc engine sized bike would say about 600cc bikes...

-ChaZ

Have you seen those new '06 600 rice rockets? They are putting out over 120-hp now.;P

TimP
10-05-2005, 20:00
Have you seen those new '06 600 rice rockets? They are putting out over 120-hp now.;P

Yeah those figures are what 900cc and 1000cc bikes were puting out a few years ago. This 600R still amazes me with the power it has.

ChaZ
10-05-2005, 20:50

Exactly! That's my point...

-ChaZ

painkiller
10-05-2005, 21:28
the new R6 is gonna be insane,just to get off topic a bit.i know a guy who bought an 05 shift red R1 as his first bike,with no experiance at all,i mean never even been on a dirt bike or quad,and so far if ive head right,he's on his 3rd set of plastics,and the triple tree is cracked.

painkiller
10-05-2005, 21:31
the new R6 is gonna be insane,just to get off topic a bit.i know a guy who bought an 05 shift red R1 as his first bike,with no experiance at all,i mean never even been on a dirt bike or quad,and so far if ive head right,he's on his 3rd set of plastics,and the triple tree is cracked.oh and the kicker,i see him riding in shorts,tank top and flip flops.i mean i understand it gets 105 plus here in the summer but even im not that dumb.i'm guessing skin grafts are that cheap now?i just read an articl about ducati of brea not selling a bike to anyone who has no business of being on it.im done now.