lonewolf01
09-26-2005, 12:29
Hard to beat Keith Moon.

pellertpale
09-26-2005, 12:39
Danny Carey, or Billy Cobham

84S
09-26-2005, 23:11
Steve Gadd has been a favorite for me for a while, but John Bonham and Keith Moon are the two guys that make me want to play drums.

Davegrave
09-26-2005, 23:18
It takes 8 replies before someone mentions John Bonham?!

09-27-2005, 03:46
I saw Tommy Lee do the forward tilt up drum solo on the Theater of Pain Tour; before he went upside down. ;?

Tommy21
09-27-2005, 04:50
Ian Paice (Deep Purple).

Listen to "Fireball" some time - that's ONE kick drum with ONE pedal.

Never has anyone with less drums done more.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v254/Tommya/Ian_Paice_8_02_3.jpg

Tommy

beavis1957
09-27-2005, 06:35
Carter Beauford. He makes most others look like amateurs.

dgg9
09-27-2005, 08:05
Originally posted by beavis1957
Carter Beauford. He makes most others look like amateurs.

He's probably the best drummer in rock now, but Dennis Chambers is to CB as CB is to everyone else. CB is a lower-case Dennis Chambers.

Dave Weckl is always amazing too.

In the pop world, I always liked Clem Burke and Stewart Copeland.

micah
09-27-2005, 15:46
IMO, the BEST DRUMMERS OF ALL TIME are, in no order:

Keith Moon
John Bonham
Max Roach
Buddy Rich
Steve Gadd
Dave Weckyl
Chad Wackerman
Bernie Dressel
Carter Beauford
Stewart Copeland

All have amazing chops, and know when to show off and when to be tasteful and how to best serve the music. Neil Peart gets half a mention, but he's into musical masterbation a bit much to be on my list. Mike Portnoy is right out.

<editted because I somehow forgot stewart Copeland! I am ashamed of myself!>

dgg9
09-27-2005, 15:55
Originally posted by micah
IMO, the BEST DRUMMERS OF ALL TIME are, in no order:

No mention of:

Dennis Chambers
Lenny White
Billy Cobham
Tony Williams
Bill Bruford

...?

micah
09-27-2005, 21:04
You read it right...but, as I said, IMO. These are the guys who's work I am inspired by...just me.

dgg9
09-28-2005, 05:40
Originally posted by micah
You read it right...but, as I said, IMO. These are the guys who's work I am inspired by...just me.

Ok, fine -- I keyed off the fact you wrote "best" rather than "favorite." Purportedly objective "best" lists are hard to put together.

philford
09-28-2005, 17:07
Marvin Mcquinty

TimC
09-28-2005, 19:14
Charlie Watts

T. Harless
09-29-2005, 21:08
Terry Bozzio with Zappa kicked hard. I was always a Mickey Hart fan.

84S
09-29-2005, 21:48
Originally posted by T. Harless
Terry Bozzio with Zappa kicked hard. I was always a Mickey Hart fan.

Ditto on Bozzio, he's a bad ass. But I never was impressed with the Dead's drummers though.

T. Harless
09-29-2005, 22:05
Originally posted by 84S
Ditto on Bozzio, he's a bad ass. But I never was impressed with the Dead's drummers though.

I was looking at Bozzio's website before I posted. Spell checking. If you go there, check his "kit set up" Damn! The Dead., it's less technical and more of a groove thing. Could have been the acid.

JBW
09-30-2005, 23:21
Since we're talking about "favorites", not necessarily the "best":

Rod Morgenstein (Dixie Dregs/Winger) - few of us left handed drummers

.....So many more that have already been listed

10-01-2005, 23:24
I saw Phil Collins play in Genesis in '83. Later that yr. I saw him w/ Robt. Plant in Buffalo. Great drummer, he had his kit "backwards" ,lol. ;?

glock2901
10-03-2005, 13:47
Some are more technical than musical. Anyway, John Bonham and Buddy Rich seemed to exemplify both in my opinion. Terry Bozio, Billy Cobham, Steve Gadd, Steve Smith are examples of those that are simply in that "hard to imagine" league. Neil was a huge influence but Phil Ehart was a better drummer. Ian Paice doesn't get his due for sure! Mick Fleetwood with his seasoned, killer groove........Its the heavy/slow caliber vs. light/fast caliber arguement applied to drummage! Appreciate them all and stop tryin' to figure it out!;g

scowan007
10-03-2005, 13:59
Mickey Dolenz

http://freespace.virgin.net/katharine.goddard/monkee.jpg

nickg
10-03-2005, 14:05
Buddy and then everyone else. ;f ;f

the list of great drummers for me is WAY too long to list. just about everyone else that was mentioned here makes my list.

but no one mentioned Ringo -- the drummer of drummers for those who know what "playing for the song" means. he's done things that sound so simple, but i've been playing for over 40 years and there are some things that he did that i STILL can't do. not because it was technically hard, but because it was feel, and his own technique, not to mention that since he was a left handed drummer playing a right handed kit some of his sticking was very much a part of his technique when it comes to his fills.

but i will tell you who my LEAST favorite drummer is -- neil peart. thank you!!

micah
10-03-2005, 20:13
Oh, and HTF did I forget about Carmine Appice? That dude rocked before anyone else knew what rock was.

10-03-2005, 23:38
I saw Carmine and Vinnie Appice @ a drum clinic in Orlando They both inspired me to want to play drums, pearl, ludwig,tama,gretcsh,lol.;?

nickg
10-04-2005, 12:19
Originally posted by iplaypearldrums
I saw Carmine and Vinnie Appice @ a drum clinic in Orlando They both inspired me to want to play drums, pearl, ludwig,tama,gretcsh,lol.;?

i saw carmine with vanilla fudge last year on the bill with mountain.

VF and carmine were great. mountain sucked big time.

SMSTRICK
10-04-2005, 12:29
Originally posted by Hudson341
Neal Peart.

By far the best.... Neil Peart,....drummer for RUSH.
I also like Tommy Aldridge ( Ozzy's Blizzard Of Ozz ), the drummer on the Robin Trower LIVE album from 1976, Buddy Rich,....and the dude that played on the John Fogerty " Premonition " album and live DVD. He teally kicked MAJOR ASS. Watch it !!....He ROCKS !

10-04-2005, 20:41
Chris Slade w/ the Firm, later AC/DC, great live. My favorite Neil Peart (RUSH) recording is Signals.;?

Data
10-11-2005, 07:26
Danny Carey & Carter Beauford

nickg
10-11-2005, 09:05
another one of my ALL time favorites that no one has mentioned -- Jeff Porcaro. what a great groove he had.

84S
10-11-2005, 17:40
Originally posted by nickg
another one of my ALL time favorites that no one has mentioned -- Jeff Porcaro. what a great groove he had.

Yep, his work on Steely Dan's "Katy Lied" is very solid.

nickg
10-12-2005, 08:37
Originally posted by 84S
Yep, his work on Steely Dan's "Katy Lied" is very solid.

not to mention all of his work with Toto, one of my all time favorite bands plus everyone else he played with from boz scaggs to michael mcdonald to don henley to dozens of others.

according to porcaro, his "rosanna" groove was a combination of ideas he got from bernard purdie's "shuffle" groove and john bonham's drum part from "fool in the rain" -- not bad inspiration that's for sure.

84S
10-12-2005, 10:39
Originally posted by nickg
not to mention all of his work with Toto, one of my all time favorite bands plus everyone else he played with from boz scaggs to michael mcdonald to don henley to dozens of others.

according to porcaro, his "rosanna" groove was a combination of ideas he got from bernard purdie's "shuffle" groove and john bonham's drum part from "fool in the rain" -- not bad inspiration that's for sure.

Too bad it seems he liked cocaine more than playing drums. I hate when great talent died or dies because of stupidity. I always liked the drumming on "Rosanna" and "Africa" is not too shabby either.

wolfsong
10-22-2005, 22:48
Have we all forgotten Buddy Miles? Jai Johanny Johanson (Jaimo)?

10-23-2005, 01:21
I met Rik Allen @ a gas station. He gave me an autograph on a drum pad. Was nice of him. Peter Criss signed his pic @ a kiss convention too. ;?

JAMES77257
10-26-2005, 18:37
LARS LARS LARS

Giezr
10-28-2005, 20:06
My all time favorite drummer of all time is Ginger Fish.

Some of the best drummers IMO include Tommy Lee and Lars Ulrich. I don't like Lars but that doesn't make him a bad drummer.

The most impressive drummer I've ever seen was Brian Viglione of the Dredsen Dolls. He would play a guitar in his lap while still playing the drums. Very impressive solos as well...

Giezr

Berto
10-29-2005, 16:39
Hellhammer of Mayhem
Frost of 1349,Satyricon
Lopez of Opeth
Steward Copeland from Police
Bonzo (of course)
.....this could take forever.:)

Retired in 2001
10-29-2005, 16:51
Ringo Starr
Ginger Baker;a

nickg
10-31-2005, 09:52
Originally posted by Retired in 2001
Ginger Baker;a

i'm asking santa claus to bring me the new Cream - Royal Albert Hall DVD for Christmas!! :)

Retired in 2001
10-31-2005, 13:40
Is that an old or new recording ;a

bhart89
10-31-2005, 14:42
John Bonham and Mitch Mitchell.

PeterJasonMN
10-31-2005, 23:53
Being that I'm in my mid-20s, I've never seen many of the drummers listed above, and to be honest don't know many of the bands they are/were in, save for John Bonham.

For me, from what I've seen, heard, and can articulate:

For double-bass intensity, and great toms work up through the Black Album: Lars. I don't know WTF Bob Rock's doing having Lars' toms tuned so that they sound like paint cans now, but they need to stop and go back to the glory days.

Most creative kits: Tommy Lee. Some of those things are just monsters, and he can play it like they're a starter kit from wal-mart.

Most psycho drummer: Shannon Larkin from Godsmack. For those of you who have a Yahoo screen name, go to Yahoo Music, Videos, and find the video for "I Stand Alone" Live, from the Rockin the Corp show.

Most focused: Morgan Rose from Sevendust. Was front/center for one of their shows and he's amazing. Plus the band spends almost their entire show throwing picks, drumsticks, and other stuff to the fans.

nickg
11-01-2005, 09:21
Originally posted by Retired in 2001
Is that an old or new recording ;a

this is new. it's the reunion shows from Royal Albert Hall back in May.

Cream just did a couple of nights last week at Madison Square Garden for their only US appearances and all of the reviews were great.

http://www.cream2005.com/

nickg
11-01-2005, 09:29
Originally posted by PeterJasonMN
Being that I'm in my mid-20s, I've never seen many of the drummers listed above, and to be honest don't know many of the bands they are/were in, save for John Bonham.

go back and look up and listen to some of the older school drummers listed here.

it's NOT all about massive drum kits, floating drum risers, pyrotechnic drum solos, speed demon double bass licks, and the like.

it's about style, touch, feel, groove, and playing for the song and not "how many licks can i fit into this break so people will think i'm the coolest and fastest drummer around!!"

but no doubt there are many excellent young drummers out there today for sure.

Secant Ogive
11-09-2005, 20:58
I have always admired good drummers. A few of my favorites are:

Kenny Aranoff (Mellencamp, Etheridge)

Michael Shrieve (Santana)

John Bonham (Zeppelin)

;)

Altaris
11-10-2005, 21:42
1) Danny Carey of Tool, That guy is amazing live and on the albums.

2) Tim Alexander of Primus, he was always good at playing really odd and off beat rythms.

Lars - don't like him personally, but he is a great drummer.

Neal Peart - while he was good, I have a hard time picking him since he played for one of the worst/most annoying bands ever.

Ridx
11-15-2005, 17:50
How can this thread exist without Dave Grohl's name appearing at least once?!?!?

Im not saying greatest of all time, but some recognition is in order. If anyone disagrees, please join in. Oh and at least Mitch Mitchell got some cred in this thread. :soap:

11-15-2005, 19:40
He's apparantly a good songwriter. I like the airplane video myself and that other one, kinda newer.

nickg
11-16-2005, 09:40
there are so many excellent drummers out there past and present you could be here forever discussing the merits of each.

i'll toss another name on the list. Bernie Dresel, who plays with Brian Setzer and has appeared on numerous albums by other artists and movie soundtracks.

he's from my hometown here and he used to follow us around all the time in drumcorp when he was a kid. we all knew then he was going to be a great drummer. and his brother Jonathan is excellent as well.

5150Glock
11-16-2005, 09:44
JD Blair & Carter Beauford

H-D&GLOCK
11-16-2005, 09:47
Originally posted by Tommy21
Ian Paice (Deep Purple).

Listen to "Fireball" some time - that's ONE kick drum with ONE pedal.

Never has anyone with less drums done more.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v254/Tommya/Ian_Paice_8_02_3.jpg

Tommy

WOW, something tommy and I agree on for once. There are many, many good ones, but I think Deep Purple was one of the tightest and hottest rock and roll bands ever.

micah
11-16-2005, 16:00
i'll toss another name on the list. Bernie Dresel, who plays with Brian Setzer and has appeared on numerous albums by other artists and movie soundtracks.

I think I already mentioned him...and I'm going to see him and Setzer again tomorrow night:) The guy has got chops.

Chad Wackerman is amazing too, I don't recall if I mentioned him.

Japle
11-16-2005, 18:06
Ed Thigpin
Grady Tate
Rufus Jones
Buddy
Gene Krupa

Ed wrote the book (literally!) on brushes.

John
Cape Canaveral

Retired in 2001
11-16-2005, 19:42
Max Weinberg Bruce Springsteen Drummer

nickg
11-17-2005, 12:29
Originally posted by Japle
Ed Thigpin

Ed wrote the book (literally!) on brushes.

clayton cameron, who has done a lot of work with tony bennett, is also supposed to be a master of the brushes.

i guess he's done some drum clinics where he has come out with just a snare drum and brushes and totally blew people away.

nickg
11-17-2005, 12:32
did anyone mention studio great Hal Blaine? that guy played on so many hits during the 60's!!

i met him one time and spent about 45 minutes talking to him. he had some great stories.

bhp31
11-19-2005, 10:58
john bonham
alex van halen
matt sorum

Rock and Glock
11-27-2005, 19:58
Originally posted by glock2901
Some are more technical than musical. Anyway, John Bonham and Buddy Rich seemed to exemplify both in my opinion. Terry Bozio, Billy Cobham, Steve Gadd, Steve Smith are examples of those that are simply in that "hard to imagine" league. Neil was a huge influence but Phil Ehart was a better drummer. Ian Paice doesn't get his due for sure! Mick Fleetwood with his seasoned, killer groove........Its the heavy/slow caliber vs. light/fast caliber arguement applied to drummage! Appreciate them all and stop tryin' to figure it out!;g

And none have mentioned Ginger Baker?

;j

thenewguy
11-27-2005, 20:05
Carter Beauford (DMB) and Vinnie Colaiuta (Sting.)

11-28-2005, 02:22
Ilove big kits!!!!

Reissman
11-28-2005, 20:00
Anybody Check out www.drummerworld.com. You can get clips of these guys playng and background Bios, very cool.

BTW.
Carter Beauford and I think Chad Smith (Red Hot Chilli Peppers) is pretty awesome

costanza187
12-08-2005, 10:28
Tommy Lee

12-09-2005, 11:58
I saw him when M Crue was promoting "Home Sweet Home" and he did the forward tilt drum solo; was neat. Very LOUD show. Great drummer for the Crue! ;?

epsylum
12-09-2005, 17:50
I am no drum expert by far, but here are my favorites

Danny Carey - Tool , Seriously one of the best drummers I can think of right now. That whole band is SERIOUSLY talented.

Nicholas Barker - Dimmu Borgir , some of the fastest drum rolls in the middle of ta song I have ever heard

Dave Lombardo - Slayer & Fantomas , one-handed ultra fast snare rolls without missing a beat

Mike Bordin - Faith No More & Ozzy's current drummer , just a plain ole good drummer.

Runner ups-

Paul Bostaf - Slayer's off and on replacent for Dave Lombardo

Charlie Benante - Anthrax

Sorry, but I mainly listen to metal, so I haven't heard of many of the drummers other people have mentioned, but I don't doubt they are good.

Parisite
12-17-2005, 22:30
And for my first thread ever on Glocktalk, I'll nominate the legendary Frank Beard of ZZ Top.....Talk about a percussionist who can FEEL the music and can whip out the fastest licks with anyone....

seamus
12-19-2005, 07:14
Ginger Baker is (was) one of the best. He might be a little past his prime now. One drummer that i've met is Kenny Aronoff. He was (ahem) dating one of my neighbors at the student trailer park at I.U. He is excellent. One of the best I've ever heard who played for everyone in their sessions was in the Mad Dogs And Englishmen tour, Derek & The Dominos etc is Jim Gordon. Unfortunately he went insane and stabbed his mother to death and is incarcerated in a California Penitentiary.

cheaptrick
12-23-2005, 06:09
You guys have really taken me back.

I also thought of the great Carl Palmer w/ Emerson, Lake, and Palmer too.

Keep them coming!!!!!

hnard
12-26-2005, 03:33
Don Brewer, Jon Bonham, Neil Peart, Alex Van Halen, and the guy who plays drums for Kenny G (He is probably one of the best I've seen live...seriously!).

PlethoraGreen
01-06-2006, 14:26
Skillwise I don't think I've ever seen a drummer pull off what Marco Minnemann can.

He's a relatively new drummer to the scene, but I highly suggest you take some time to watch some of his videos. Pure insanity.

http://www.drummerworld.com/drummers/Marco_Minnemann.html

PresidentReagan
01-06-2006, 19:08
My favorite has always been Tommy Lee since I first saw him on the Shout tour in '84. Saw him again in '85. Just amazing.

I too admire John Bonham, Neal Peart, Carmine Apice and Lars Ulrich. And while I'm at it, some of my other favorite musicians:

Bass - Billy Sheehan, Steve Harris, Les Claypool, Cliff Burton.

Guitar - Jake E. Lee, Ry Cooder, George Lynch, Angus Young, Eric Clapton, Steve Vai, Neal Schon.

Vocals - Ronnie VanZant, Sammy Hagar, Paul Rodgers, Ozzy Osbourne, Bob Seger, Bryan Adams, Brian Johnson and, I hate to say it, but Axl Rose.

FredB.
f.j.bradfordREMOVE@verizon.net

QUEENGLOCK
02-02-2006, 16:06
frank beard....zz top..awsome

HavinaPretzel
02-02-2006, 16:35
Awesome list so far--I've seen a lot of drummers listed here that I think are Great - Bonham, Moon, Beauford, Carey, Cobham, and a lot more....

but my favorite is Elvin Jones. He did some amazing stuff with Coltrane and a LOT of other people, and was a big influence on a lot of other players too.

00blkgt
02-06-2006, 20:21
Neal Peart (Rush), Tim Alexander (Primus) and , Matt McDoungh (Mudvayne).
J

DocAmentler
03-10-2006, 10:04
Cozy Powell (RIP) has got to be my favorite drummer. Ian Paice, as was mentioned earlier, is amazing. Listen to him play on Deep Purple's "Burn". Awesome. Also Mike Terrana is a fantastic drummer. He has played with Yngwie, Artension, Rage, Metalium, etc.

mlcs
04-08-2006, 13:24
neil peart
shannon larkin
tim alexander
"brain"

firedex
04-08-2006, 13:44
chad szeliga

costanza187
04-10-2006, 16:32
Tommy Lee

Fenway
04-11-2006, 21:21
Art Blakey

Tommy21
05-16-2006, 05:21
Did anyone mention Mike Portnoy yet?

http://www.musicstreetjournal.com/GRAPHICS/portnoyprimecuts.jpg

He's definitely not hurting for gear:

http://miranda.bitacoras.com/fotos/mike%20portnoy.jpg

When I first heard Dream Theater, I described Portnoy's sound as "A drum store rolling down a hill."

:supergrin:

Tommy

Green_Manelishi
05-29-2006, 11:03
Originally posted by Tommy21
Did anyone mention Mike Portnoy yet?

http://www.musicstreetjournal.com/GRAPHICS/portnoyprimecuts.jpg

He's definitely not hurting for gear:

http://miranda.bitacoras.com/fotos/mike%20portnoy.jpg

When I first heard Dream Theater, I described Portnoy's sound as "A drum store rolling down a hill."

:supergrin:

Tommy

Wow ... Dream Theater ... what a sound.

Ian Paice (Deep Purple)
Les Binks (session drummer who worked with JP)
Simon Phillips (also worked with JP)
Neil Peart (drumming on Bytor and The Snow Dog)
Bill Ward (Black Sabbath)
Phil Ehart (Kansas)
Scott Rockenfield (Queensryche)

rick458
05-30-2006, 15:26
Has anybody seen the Drum Duet Of Phil Collins and the Genesis Concert drummer George ? 20 minutes of synchronized drumming it was fantastic