Anyone in the know about old photography equip? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Anyone in the know about old photography equip?

goatranch
09-26-2005, 15:06
I have a lot of very old photography equipment. A couple of older cameras, flash units, light meters, etc. It was my father-in-laws, fathers. Yeah...old. Anyone know where I could find what its worth? Online appraisals?? Let me know. Thanks.

NRA_guy
09-26-2005, 15:31
Here are two reputable places I have dealt with:

B&H Photo (http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=UsedHomePage.jsp&A=getpage&Q=readmoreused.jsp)

KEH (http://www.keh.com/hmpg/index.cfm)

Or, join the KEH forum and ask. The forum folks are friendly.

KEH Forum (http://shoptalk2.keh.com/forums/)

I can tell you this. When selling high quality film (not digital) photo gear, the price is not high.

Strangely, when you are buying it, the prices for high quality equipment have held up well.

hatidua
09-26-2005, 21:35
I can tell you this. When selling high quality film (not digital) photo gear, the price is not high.

Sadly, VERY true. Go forth with very modest expectations.

NRA_guy
09-27-2005, 05:32
Yep. You will likely be better of sellling it to or through a local photographer who shoots weddings or a newspaper guy or just a serious photographer.

If you know anyone who sells on eBay, that may work too.

A friend of mine inhertied a beautiful Mamiya RB645 (medium format) with every possible attachment, telephoto lens, lens filters, waist level view finder, 3 Gossen light meters, and other stuff in a padded metal Craftsman toolbox. After about 6 months of trying to sell it, he got $500 for the whole lot.

That was a crime. It was probably worth $2500 or so---but only if somebody wants it.

hatidua
09-27-2005, 20:47
Another horror story: I switched from Nikon analog to Canon digital this past year. I sold off two F5's, three F100 bodies, 14/16/18/20/24/28/35-70/80-200/60mm lenses, four Minolta IVf meters, two SB-28's, etc. all of this yielded less than ONE Canon 1Ds mkII body! Now, keep in mind, those 1Ds mkII's are costly and all but all I got for all that Nikon gear was about $7000. This, inspite of the fact that all that glass was the current issue AF-D stuff.

Photo gear simply doesn't hold it's value too well.

Not to rain on your parade, but you might just hang onto the stuff as paper-weights;1 -or donate it for a nice tax write-off where you will be able to claim a more realistic value.

Cali-Glock
10-04-2005, 08:59
I dunno - I sold my Nikon F2AS body about 2 years ago and got $600 - but then again I sold it because I figured the value would drop. I kept my FM and FT3 though.

hatidua
10-04-2005, 11:07
I dunno - I sold my Nikon F2AS body about 2 years ago and got $600

you did well. when I sold my last F2AS w/motordrive, I didn't do much better than that and that was ten years ago.

hwyhobo
10-04-2005, 12:29
Originally posted by goatranch
I have a lot of very old photography equipment. A couple of older cameras, flash units, light meters, etc.
Light meters may still come in handy. I use my old one once in a blue moon.

As to the value of old analog equipment, then I am afraid it may have more sentimental value to you than monetary to someone else. You may want to keep it, for your grandchildren. I am keeping my old Canons and lenses (useless now, as they are manual focus). I seriously regret I got rid of my old TLR. I got little for it, and I would definitely like to have it now for remembrance. Not any TLR, mind you, just that one. Many a happy moment was immortalized with that camera.

spober
10-04-2005, 18:35
are you p.t. barnum? i do know and you full of it.

federali
10-12-2005, 13:59
There may be collector interest in your old equipment, in which case you may realize more money. However, if anyone has scanned e-bay lately, it seems that you can barely give away film cameras.

hatidua
10-12-2005, 14:23
Old rangefinders (particularly Nikon and Canon) have great potential collector value. Leica a bit less unless it is a black-paint version or red shutter. SLR's......forget it.

schild
10-24-2005, 18:03
The value of Nikon F2's has gone down the drain now that the market is flooded with F's, F2 and F3's. I just sold my F2 with 43-86mm zoom and 135mm for $200. Old Hasseblads 500c's aren't even worth much. Collectible market is Nikon and Leica rangefinders.

General Sherman
10-26-2005, 09:18
As said above, check www.keh.com

I guess film is dead seeing the used prices of good equipment.

But Nikon made it so you can use your old lenses on digital cameras, but some in a manual focus and manual exposure mode.