Bought a bike on eBay... [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Bought a bike on eBay...


09-27-2005, 22:21
I just won a bid on eBay for a 2003 VTX 1300R, 3800 miles, for $6500. I have a couple hundred miles to go to pick it up, but I thought that was a decent price, assuming the bike is in as good a shape as the guy claims (will pay after seeing the bike). The bike looks good from the pictures, was garage kept, and I put almost as many miles on my VT750C in 3 months as that bike has got in 2 years. I just decided I wanted something a bit bigger than 750.

http://i18.ebayimg.com/02/i/04/fc/5b/00_3.JPG

What do you guys think, decent deal or no?

fnfalman
09-28-2005, 08:22
I don't know if it's a good deal or not but you will definitely enjoy the bike.

Dandapani
09-28-2005, 08:55
http://www.kbb.com/kb/ki.dll/ke.kb.mr?kbb.FL;135718;FL101&34654;rc;r&154&2003;Honda;VTX1300%20Retro;421312;16270;;;;&&&&&

2003 Honda VTX1300 Retro
2-Cylinder
4-Stroke
1312cc

Suggested Retail Value $6435

ChaZ
09-28-2005, 09:13
Looks tooooooo clean and spotless. If I was selling it, I could get away with lying that my grandmother used it only for her Sunday jaunt to neighborhood church and back.

I hope it's the same thing you see in person as the picture...

-ChaZ

Timothy658
09-28-2005, 09:33
I dont have a clue if that is a good deal or not but that is definately a fine looking bike!

09-28-2005, 13:57
Originally posted by dmobrien2001
http://www.kbb.com/kb/ki.dll/ke.kb.mr?kbb.FL;135718;FL101&34654;rc;r&154&2003;Honda;VTX1300%20Retro;421312;16270;;;;&&&&&

2003 Honda VTX1300 Retro
2-Cylinder
4-Stroke
1312cc

Suggested Retail Value $6435

Thanks for the referrence.

There are several additions to the bike that would perhaps raise it's value above the base blue book cost. There's probably close to a $1000 dollars or more worth of stuff between the extra chrome, the windshield, the footboards, grips, etc. Obviously that only represents a value to those who would want it, and I do in most of cases on this bike.

09-28-2005, 14:01
Originally posted by ChaZ
Looks tooooooo clean and spotless. If I was selling it, I could get away with lying that my grandmother used it only for her Sunday jaunt to neighborhood church and back.

I hope it's the same thing you see in person as the picture...

-ChaZ

Which is a good reason why I haven't paid yet. :)

I'll have to take a good look at it when I get there, ride it first as well.

09-28-2005, 14:04
Originally posted by fnfalman
I don't know if it's a good deal or not but you will definitely enjoy the bike.

I think you are right.

It looks quite a lot like my Shadow Aero, only with a bigger engine (largely why I got it) and dual exhaust pipes.

I've never ridden a bike with a windshield however, and I'm interested in knowing how different it feels. For me, part of the appeal of a bike to begin with is the feel of the wind.

G23 4 ME
09-28-2005, 14:36
Great looking bike. What are you doing with your 750?

White Buffalo
09-28-2005, 15:26
you got a decent deal on a pretty cool bike. I got to borrow a friends for about two weeks and thought it was pretty cool. Good balance, decent power to weight ratio. Think you'll enjoy it.

09-28-2005, 15:35
Originally posted by G23 4 ME
Great looking bike. What are you doing with your 750?

Selling it. I'm waiting until I actually seal the deal on the other bike first.

I will be losing money on that bike. But it works out better in the end in terms of my long term financial situation. The price I pay now is for lack of patience, and lack of research when I bought the 750 to begin with.

Don't take that the wrong way though. My Aero is a great bike, and it runs excellent. I just want a bigger bike, with a bit more acceleration. The top end speed isn't really as much the issue, thought it will probably handle my (generally) max speed of 65-70 slightly better over long hauls. The mileage is great as well, averaging around 50-52 mpg.

whogasak47
09-28-2005, 16:46
Outstanding Model from a great MFR.It is the right color also . After you get it, Get out ther and wear out that first set of tires. The Bearing and Tire people need Money just like the chrome folks do. Good Luck and Ride Safe

joker1
09-28-2005, 16:57
^7

09-28-2005, 17:59
Originally posted by whogasak47
Outstanding Model from a great MFR.It is the right color also . After you get it, Get out ther and wear out that first set of tires. The Bearing and Tire people need Money just like the chrome folks do. Good Luck and Ride Safe

Without a doubt, I will be logging some road miles in support of Capitalism!! ;f

10-11-2005, 22:33
Well, a week ago Saturday I went and picked the bike up. After a 200+ mile ride back home, I was pleased that it was in good running order. Still somewhat paranoid about buy a used bike (and closing in on 4000 miles), I set up an appointment with the local Honda dealership to do the scheduled maintenance, and look over the bike for me. I was pleased to hear them tell me that the bike seems just fine to them as well.

I'm not much for windshields, but this one stopped with the top of the windshield dead center of my vision. That was annoying enough, but as the wind seemed to gust over the top of it, it would cause my head to "randomly" get blown back. Constant wind I don't mind, but jerky or gusty wind is a pain. After riding with it a short distance, I took that off before I rode the bike home.

This is what it looks like now that I've changed the seat out to a Mustang Vintage Wide, and added a Cobra sissybar and luggage rack;

http://members.cox.net/futbolhead/pictures/mybike.jpg

I thought my Shadow Aero SEEMED big, but this VTX 1300S IS big! Plenty of power for me. While I generally didn't like going over 65 on the highway with the Aero, I constantly found myself creeping up to 75-80 on the VTX (70 mph speed limit in parts of NC). And even at high speeds in 5th gear, it still has some decent acceleration.

All in all, I'm happy with my purchase. Before long I'll be looking for some removeable saddlebags. Any suggestions on which ones might be good for a VTX?

fnfalman
10-12-2005, 07:43
First of all, the windshield's buffeting around the head area is pretty common for most windshield equipped vehicles. I don't know how the people deal with it but the buffeting around the head just drives me nuts.

Secondly, check out Corbin for some saddlebags.

10-12-2005, 11:19
Originally posted by fnfalman
Secondly, check out Corbin for some saddlebags.

Thanks, I will.

ChaZ
10-12-2005, 13:00
Glad you like it. It sure does look good!

-ChaZ

Texas T
10-12-2005, 13:10
Originally posted by fnfalman
First of all, the windshield's buffeting around the head area is pretty common for most windshield equipped vehicles. I don't know how the people deal with it but the buffeting around the head just drives me nuts. The windshields are available in different sizes and styles. The stock shield on my Connie did buffet me a bit as the wind would hit me right in the middle of the visor.

I moved up to a Cee Bailey 26.5" shield and it puts the airstream right at the very top of my helmet; I actually have to sit up higher in order to get better airflow into the helmet vents but there is little to no buffeting and weather protection is much better.

Lone Wolff
10-12-2005, 20:33
Originally posted by RationalCop


This is what it looks like now that I've changed the seat out to a Mustang Vintage Wide, and added a Cobra sissybar and luggage rack;

http://members.cox.net/futbolhead/pictures/mybike.jpg



You've definitely inproved the looks of the bike, and given it some more versatility as well. SWEET! :cool:

10-13-2005, 02:24
Thanks Chaz!

Thanks Lone Wolff! I definitely like the look better now as well.

Now if the rain will die down....

fnfalman
10-13-2005, 07:46
Rain? Get some raincoat and go for it.:cool:

Nah, I'm with you. If I get caught in the rain, that's one thing but I wouldn't go out on a bike when the weather looks like it's about to rain or is raining.

First of all, it's not fun riding in the rain. Secondly, dealing with idiot car drivers on dry roads is bad enough, worrying about them wiping out and taking you out on wet roads is just too much ulcer material to make riding worth it.

quinch
11-04-2005, 22:46
vtxoa.com