Banned Book Week [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Banned Book Week

BLUEeyedBanshee
09-28-2005, 12:50
I just found out today that it's ALA Banned Book Week!

http://www.ala.org/ala/oif/bannedbooksweek/bannedbooksweek.htm

Here is the list of the top 100 most challenged books.

http://www.ala.org/ala/oif/bannedbooksweek/bbwlinks/100mostfrequently.htm

I'm going to go pick up one I haven't read already and read it in celebration! :)

Texas T
10-01-2005, 14:44
I gotta share.

This is a big deal with all the bookstores every year and when I was with B&N I came up with a great idea. I took one of our round display tables and placed it in the main center aisle. I then took rope stantions used to keep people in line and placed them around the table at a 3 foot distance and removed the ropes.

I then placed POLICE LINE DO NOT CROSS tape (that I had obtained from a LEO) around the stantions to form a barrier but I left one 3 foot section open.

People would look, but they would NOT cross the line.

Sheep.

;a

BLUEeyedBanshee
10-03-2005, 06:35
That is a really cool display.

In honor of the week, I had my daughter read Catcher in the Rye. I re-read Bless Me Ultima.

mattpreston007
10-16-2005, 21:34
The library at LSU had a banned book display in a room right next to the music resources room.

The sign:

Banned Books --->
<--- Band Books

;f

I Love Catcher in the Rye, btw.

BLUEeyedBanshee
10-17-2005, 06:50
That is really an awesome thing to do in any library. I think they should all have a banned book room! :)

I was just glad I got my daughter to read Catcher before the end of her 8th grade year. I have a plan for her, with "Catcher in the Rye" as well as "Portrait of the Artist as a Young Man." I want her to read both at least 2 times in her high school career. Then re-read both after her first semester in college. As time goes on both of these books really mean different things. Reading them at different levels of intellectual maturity really is interesting.

mattpreston007
10-17-2005, 09:27
That's a great idea. I noticed the same thing re-re-re-reading Catcher. Mr Antolini's speech really hit close to home on my latest read. I never was impressed much by it before. I've definitely had an evolving interpretation of it over the years.

Never read Joyce but Ulysses has been sitting on my shelf mocking me for the past 5 years.;)

mattpreston007
10-17-2005, 09:41
88. Where's Waldo?

Huh? I guess thats kind of subversive... like when um... huh.

mitchshrader
10-19-2005, 23:19
This is kinda morbid and if you don't like abnormal psychology don't go there..

But a guy named Jerszy Kozinski..

The Painted Bird..

I TOLD you, this is abnormal psychology.. HE is abnormal.

You really gotta read a little bit about him, and how his life went... feral war orphan got married to an heiress.. Cinderella backwards..

after that intro I hope you don't go look unless you're Really curious.