Trackday riders? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Trackday riders?

steeltoe
10-01-2005, 21:32
Howdy, any trackday riders or club racers here? I just got my WERA license after a few trackdays I'm hooked. Planning on some racing next season in CCS and Formula.

WERA49
10-02-2005, 13:05
Steeltoe, I raced for nine years and have been to a few track days.

I'm glad that you got your license. What do you ride?

My streetbike is a GSXR1000 and my racebike is a TZ250.

BushyAR15
10-02-2005, 17:31
I'm newly retired. Raced the past 5 years and waaaay back in the 80s. So, I'm pretty old ;)

My favorite racebikes had to be my '99 R6 and my TZ250.

The TZ took my to my first victory and had me finish consistently in the top 3 and that was in my 40s.

I miss it, but I don't miss the injuries :)

fnfalman
10-03-2005, 12:34
I'm working my way toward track days. My work is burying me right now, but once I free up sometimes around Dec 05 or early 06, I'm going to take a few courses from California Superbike School and then start to participate on track days. I suppose I can just go out and run, but I don't think I'd get the full benefit without some proper schooling on high speed operation.

Nine29
10-04-2005, 13:44
Certifiable track addict here (and first post!). I gave up the street 3 years ago and haven't looked back. First timers should sign up for a good school like Code's or Pridmore's programs.

Bike pics (http://community.webshots.com/album/405145757DPrUYk)

BushyAR15
10-04-2005, 18:02
Originally posted by Nine29
Certifiable track addict here (and first post!). I gave up the street 3 years ago and haven't looked back. First timers should sign up for a good school like Code's or Pridmore's programs.

Bike pics (http://community.webshots.com/album/405145757DPrUYk)

No offense, I've been to Code's school and it SUCKED. If you are talking about Pridmore, do you mean Jason's Star school.

Thats a GREAT school. Alot of individual attention, more track time than you can seriously ride. Just great! I'd do it again.

Nine29
10-04-2005, 19:10
Originally posted by BushyAR15
No offense, I've been to Code's school and it SUCKED. If you are talking about Pridmore, do you mean Jason's Star school.

Thats a GREAT school. Alot of individual attention, more track time than you can seriously ride. Just great! I'd do it again.
I've never taken Code's school (have heard both pro and con), but I've taken both Reg and Jason's programs and highly recommend them both.

epsylum
10-04-2005, 21:00
I would love to go take Schwantz's class, but man that's kind of far for me.

fnfalman
10-05-2005, 07:41
So, before I spend my money on Keith Code's school, what's wrong with it?

I was also planning on attending CLASS (I think that Reg Pridmore's school).

steeltoe
10-05-2005, 12:12
I'm planning on doing the cornerspeed course at VIR before I compete. Luckily I'm 40 min from VIR and 3 hours from CMP in Kershaw. My bro in SC started racing this summer and got a win already. Point being I'll have someone to share expense/pit with next year. I still need race skins, tent, fuel cans and friggin tires man $$$.

Fast Glass
10-07-2005, 22:40
I'm planning on doing some trackdays this coming spring. If I can swing it with work, maybe doing some schools too.
Closest track is 3 hours drive away from me.

BushyAR15
10-08-2005, 05:50
What I didn't like about Code's School were several things. The first and foremost was his attitude and "concerns".

There was a rider who rented a bike and leathers from his school. Well, the rider went down. I was standing next to Code when this happened. His first comments weren't concern for the student/rider. It was how much damage was done to the bike and how bad were the leathers. No comments about the rider...

Second since we were let out in groups and they didn't want too many groups out there, there was alot of time spent "waiting".

It just seemed to me that Code's school (for first time track riders) is not so much to teach you something but more of a "track experience" school. For someone who wonders what it would be like to ride on the track.

I haven't been to Reg Pridmores CLASS, but here its also a very good school. From what I've heard its geared more towards improving your riding skills as opposed to focusing on racing. But thats what I heard.

Jason's Starschool is AWESOME. So much track time and lots of personal attention. Best money I spent.

Originally posted by fnfalman
So, before I spend my money on Keith Code's school, what's wrong with it?

I was also planning on attending CLASS (I think that Reg Pridmore's school).

gixxer11
10-08-2005, 19:20
Does drag racing count with you guys? I would love to get my hands on something that I wouldn't care about crashing, but I spend too much on the dragbike (horsepower is EXPENSIVE!).

BushyAR15
10-08-2005, 21:13
Originally posted by gixxer11
Does drag racing count with you guys? I would love to get my hands on something that I wouldn't care about crashing, but I spend too much on the dragbike (horsepower is EXPENSIVE!).

No offense and no flame, just my personal opinion.....

I'm not a big fan of drag racing. As you state, "Horsepower is expensive". IMO, thats what drag racing all is about. Its about who has the deeper or deepest pockets.

Which is NOT what I've seen in Roadracing. I've seen guys with 2 generation old CBRs or R6 spank guys with brand new ones. I've seen guys with deep pockets riding their Aprilia RSVs around the track only to blow by them on a basically stock R6 (pipe and jet kit).

Again just my opinion and to each his own :)

WERA49
10-09-2005, 08:28
Which is NOT what I've seen in Roadracing.
I agree. I've been there. I was laughing in my helmet when I passed a Ducati 916 on my TZ125! :)

I also accepted a challenge from a guy on the street to run through a twisty section. I was on my FZR400, he was on a GS1000. He refused to believe that he'd been outran on a 400.

In roadracing, the rider is 80% of the package.

fnfalman
10-10-2005, 10:08
Thanks for the heads-up, BushyAR15. I think that I will go to CLASS first and then look for a track-oriented school. CLASS is about improving your general riding skills and spirited riding skills. I need to do that first before attending hardcore track riding/racing schools. FastTrackRiders.com in SoCal is a great school for those who are focused on track riding and racing. And I'll take that next, but like everything else, you got to have gradation. Basic riding courses, advance riding courses, and then racing-style riding.

gixxer11
10-10-2005, 14:50
Originally posted by BushyAR15
No offense and no flame, just my personal opinion.....

I'm not a big fan of drag racing. As you state, "Horsepower is expensive". IMO, thats what drag racing all is about. Its about who has the deeper or deepest pockets.

Which is NOT what I've seen in Roadracing. I've seen guys with 2 generation old CBRs or R6 spank guys with brand new ones. I've seen guys with deep pockets riding their Aprilia RSVs around the track only to blow by them on a basically stock R6 (pipe and jet kit).

Again just my opinion and to each his own :)

I agree with you, I've built road-racing bikes (for other people) and worked corners @ several WERA races. There is a lot of rider involvment in Drag-racing, though. And in the run what-cha-brung classes, you see alot of low-dollar bikes beat what should be much faster machinery. But yes alot of the "racing" is done in the garage, which is where I belong. ;)

gixxer11
10-10-2005, 14:57
Originally posted by WERA49
I agree. I've been there. I was laughing in my helmet when I passed a Ducati 916 on my TZ125! :)

I also accepted a challenge from a guy on the street to run through a twisty section. I was on my FZR400, he was on a GS1000. He refused to believe that he'd been outran on a 400.

I wish I was there, I'd have bet every last dollar I had on the Fizzer. BTW the rider is @ least %80 in Drag-racing also. A 600+hp, no bar, 68in wheel base, DOT 200 tire, 7-second "street bike" has got to be alot to deal with in a short amount of time!