Got dismissed by BMW owners this weekend. [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Got dismissed by BMW owners this weekend.

fnfalman
10-03-2005, 13:02
So, I was on my Aprilia cruising out to the Malibu Canyons for the usual runs. I encountered a group of about six Beemers going in the general direction westward. I passed by them slowly and gave them all the V finger sign. None even bothered to bat an eye my way. But hey, whatever floats your boat, but I think it's kind of lame not to acknowledge a fellow motorcyclist.

The next day I took my Rockster out for a cruise up the same canyons again. On the way back, I cruised by Beverly Hills just for the hell of it and came up to Rodeo Drive stop light. A really hot young chick in a Z4 pulled up next to me, looked over at me, stuck her nose up in the air. So I revved the engine a bit to catch her attention. She looked over and I tapped on the tank and pointed at the BMW Roundel. Her eyes lit up and gave me a big smile and a thumbs-up.

I motioned for her to flash some boobs but she wouldn't do it.

:soap:

xrmattaz
10-03-2005, 15:52
~`c Who know's WHO to wave at anymore????

I give a little acknowledgment to anyone riding a motorbike. Was out on the BMW today, and EVERY Harley rider waved at me?? When I get out on the Guzzi, no one gives me a second glance. Must be the position of the moon or something.

Perhaps because I had some Grateful Dead blasting that caused "the shift"?? No tellin'.

I'm getting older and grayer, doesn't matter to me anymore.

NMGlocker
10-03-2005, 16:34
Around here all the Harley guys are "too cool for the room".
They won't even acknowledge your existance.
When I come up on one of these cool dudes, I take pleasure in pulling up next to him at the light and giving him the shoulder brush off motion then slowly pull away hoping he tries to make a race out of it.
Some of them have seen too many American Chopper episodes and think their Hog actually has balls.
Nothing like hearing their straight pipes get really loud as they try to get a run on you....... then (very) quickly fade out behind me as I roll into the throttle. Heck to outrun the really fast Harleys, I might even shift into second.

Bullwinkle J Moose
10-03-2005, 20:32
I try to wave at other cyclists, but paying attention to surroundings sometimes trumps waving. Maybe they weren't comfortable in their environment and that's why they didn't take a hand off the bars to wave. Maybe they WERE snobs. In the grand scheme of things, is it worth raising your BP one point? Let it go and enjoy the ride. Life's too short to look for problems where there may be none.

BikerRN
10-04-2005, 03:18
I don't care what you ride, we all share the same road.

I'll wave, couldn't care less if you wave back. To me my wave is a way of showing respect and acknowledging you on the road. If you don't show me the same, oh well, I guess you aren't a person I'd want to share a beer with.

Sometimes I'm too busy to wave, shifting, pushing on a bar, or doing something else that requires my attention. If I fail to wave then, or you fail to wave in a like situation, I understand and hope you do too.

Take care and ride safe.

Catbird
10-04-2005, 03:59
I tend to agree with Mister Moose. Sometimes, depending upon the situation, I will at least try to nod if both hands are occupied.

4eyes
10-04-2005, 04:02
Remember that lots of these guys will lose control of their bikes if they remove their left hand from the grips.

Jtemple
10-04-2005, 06:45
I wave at everyone when it's safe to do so, ESPECIALLY the snooty Harley riders. ;f

Cryptoboy
10-04-2005, 10:31
Originally posted by NMGlocker
When I come up on one of these cool dudes, I take pleasure in pulling up next to him at the light and giving him the shoulder brush off motion then slowly pull away hoping he tries to make a race out of it. Some of them have seen too many American Chopper episodes and think their Hog actually has balls.
Nothing like hearing their straight pipes get really loud as they try to get a run on you....... then (very) quickly fade out behind me as I roll into the throttle. Heck to outrun the really fast Harleys, I might even shift into second.

Funny, because I get just the opposite! I rarely get a wave back from someone not on a Harley. Although, the funny thing is, if I get stopped at a light and another motorcyclist pulls up next to me, he/she'll start chatting! (Most are riding metrics!)

BikerRN
10-04-2005, 10:45
#wav

White Buffalo
10-04-2005, 15:39
When I come up on one of these cool dudes, I take pleasure in pulling up next to him at the light and giving him the shoulder brush off motion then slowly pull away hoping he tries to make a race out of it.
Some of them have seen too many American Chopper episodes and think their Hog actually has balls.
Nothing like hearing their straight pipes get really loud as they try to get a run on you....... then (very) quickly fade out behind me as I roll into the throttle. Heck to outrun the really fast Harleys, I might even shift into second. What do you ride? I ride in a club that has everything from stock hondas, sport bikes to chopped hogs. So, I'm just curious, if my friend with an R1 has a problem, stop light to stop light, pulling away from another friend of mine whose got a sporty chop bored to an 88", what the hell do you ride that's so fast? Not trying to be a dick, but seriously, I hear some of the dumbest things on this part of the board and am just trying to figure out if this can go into that rub catagory or if your scoot really is that fast.

I've ridden everything. I'll wave at anybody that starts it off first. We all share the road. But hell, I'm a jacket wearing member of the knucklebusters. We love our bikes and most of ya'lls too. Just keep the crap talking to yourselves after we've split.:cool:

NMGlocker
10-04-2005, 16:36
'05 ZX10R w/ some mods.
It gets the job done.

RevTech Gen 3 100" motor .... 100hp
Hell throw a 40 horse shot of Nitrous on it and do some major mods and you might get 160 hp from it.
Harley Sportster dry weight is 555 lbs.

'05 Kawasaki ZX10R .... 175hp (stock) and 375 lbs. dry weight.

Show me the modded Sporty that can even stay in the same zip code.
:cool:

White Buffalo
10-04-2005, 16:58
'05 ZX10R w/ some mods.
It gets the job done. Quick bike. What mods are you really rolling? Gotta assume your outrunning basically stock cruisers though. Guess there's a bragging right in there somewhere.:cool:

NMGlocker
10-04-2005, 17:03
Full Yoshimura race pipes, Power Commander w/custom map, and a few little things here and there.
I'll run against any Harley that you can ride on the street.
Heck I'll run against any sport bike that wants to have a go.
Only thing that's beat me so far was a Honda 929 or 949 or something like that with a Nitrous shot and he was only a bike length ahead at the 1/4.

White Buffalo
10-04-2005, 17:15
Full Yoshimura race pipes, Power Commander w/custom map, and a few little things here and there.
I'll run against any Harley that you can ride on the street. After it's all said and done on that bike, you're probably pushing a truthful 160 at the wheel right? Impressive number. Don't think anyone in my crew on a hog would be able to hang out past the next stop light. .

Nice bike though. Seems like you may know a bit about sleds. Shame you jumped on that wagon though.

Catbird
10-04-2005, 17:54
Around here in semi-rural VA, My best guess would be that only 10% of the Harley riders I pass going the opposite direction will throw up their hand and wave. This compares to 98% of all other riders. That's just my experience.
http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y115/Catbird1/1458.gif

NMGlocker
10-04-2005, 18:05
I know a lot of real Harley bikers that wave regularly.
But the majority you see around town are Harley owners that think they bought their coolness. Those are the clowns that NEVER wave (and the ones I like to knock down a few notches).
Especially the ones with the Ness knockoff bikes that think they are putting down some horsepower. Nothing like shaming a snobby Doctor on a $80k custom "Drag Bike" with my little rice rocket.
Heck I get along great with some really hard core bikers. Used to hang out at the Brotherhood of 69's clubhouse drinking beer and shooting pool.
Just motocross and crotchrockets turn my crank.

White Buffalo
10-04-2005, 18:10
I know a lot of real Harley bikers that wave regularly.
But the majority you see around town are Harley owners that think they bought their coolness. Those are the clowns that NEVER wave (and the ones I like to knock down a few notches).
Especially the ones with the Ness knockoff bikes that think they are putting down some horsepower. Nothing like shaming a snobby Doctor on a $80k custom "Drag Bike" with my little rice rocket. Brother, I hear you and echo you. Keep the rubber side down and if we ever pass by, I'll wave for sure.

White Buffalo
10-04-2005, 21:31
'05 ZX10R w/ some mods.
It gets the job done.

RevTech Gen 3 100" motor .... 100hp
Hell throw a 40 horse shot of Nitrous on it and do some major mods and you might get 160 hp from it.
Harley Sportster dry weight is 555 lbs.

'05 Kawasaki ZX10R .... 175hp (stock) and 375 lbs. dry weight.

Show me the modded Sporty that can even stay in the same zip code.
:cool: revtech motors are big v-twins and are for cruisers, not sport bikes. Their power to weight ratio is way off when compared to a sportster. Problem is that a 1200 sportster is pushing 70 horse at the wheel, according to our shop dyno, and I forget how much torque... but also about 550-600 pounds. Taken into account that when I say sporty chop, I'm reffering to an m2 cyclone motor which is based off the sportster motor but slapped into a buell with a few "upgrades. 1203cc rated at about 95 stock but actually shows more like 88 at the wheel. Bored over to an 88 with a 12 compression on a bare bones paughco. That bike weighed in total at about 400-430 lbs. Off the top of my head, I'd say that the horse is upwards towards 155ish with his turbo and other upgrades... not too mention, he's got you on torque. So, stop light to stop light, you're not going to pull like you think you will. YOu will pull, but you need to be on your game to keep it otherwise the bike beneath you is just a numbers brag and nothing more. On the 1/4, yeah, you got him even with his 6th gear upgrade, maybe about 1 sec or so.

Plus, 175 stock on yours, I'd throw it on a dyno, cause I'm not 100% on those numbers.;e

But it's late and honestly I'm pulling numbers from vague drunken memory of a bike we built three years ago. You need to give some respect where's it's due. Sport bikes are just that, sport bikes and nothing more....as a harley is a cruiser/bar hopper and nothing more... You seemed to have convinced yourself that if it isn't fast, it's inferior... that's a complex....

And, at this point and time, I don't even ride a harley anymore nor do I have forseeable plans on getting one. I'm about to chop this old 81 cb900 I have laying around and ride the piss out of it. It'll be neither expensive nor all that fast,,, and probably ugly as a bar fly in the morning so I guess noone's gonna respect it around here.... But I will have built it with my own two hands and that's where I gain my respect in my crowd.

;c

NMGlocker
10-04-2005, 22:17
Originally posted by White Buffalo
Plus, 175 stock on yours, I'd throw it on a dyno, cause I'm not 100% on those numbers.

You need to give some respect where's it's due.

175hp at the crank is the generally accepted number for the stock ZX10's.
Rear wheel HP are in the 155 range for stock. Ones with similar mods to mine usually dyno out at 160 to 165 at the rear wheel.

Stick to making noise on a cool looking cruiser and having a decent touring bike. That's where Harleys excel.

I respect the fact that your buddy has the fastest slow bike around. But if he doesn't wave at me, I'll dust his ass at the next stoplight.
;f ;Y

ChaZ
10-05-2005, 14:27
175hp at the crank is the generally accepted number for the stock ZX10's.
Rear wheel HP are in the 155 range for stock. Ones with similar mods to mine usually dyno out at 160 to 165 at the rear wheel.

Stick to making noise on a cool looking cruiser and having a decent touring bike. That's where Harleys excel.

I respect the fact that your buddy has the fastest slow bike around. But if he doesn't wave at me, I'll dust his ass at the next stoplight.
;f ;Y

Are you that insecure about other biker not waving at you so you have to show them what you can do?

You need professional help.

-ChaZ

Clydeglide
10-05-2005, 16:59
I'm sure I posted this here before. It's an article from Esquire regarding "the wave".

Why I Donít wave
I love motorcycles, and I love riding. Like many of you, what first drew me to bikes was not just the experience of riding, but the feeling that I'd become part of a special community? a brotherhood, really. Nothing calms me more than a long ride down the interstate, waving to the members of my beloved clan. Except when I pass Harley guys. I hate Harley guys. Hate, hate, hate. When they pass me on the highway, you know what I do? I don't wave. With their little tassel handlebars and the studded luggage and the half-helmets? God, they drive me crazy.

You know who else I hate? BMW guys. Oh, I do hate those guys. I don't wave at them, either. They think they're so great, sitting all upright, with their 180-degree German engines. God, I hate them. They're almost as bad as those old bastards on their touring motorcycles. You know what I call those bikes? "Two-wheeled couches!" Get it? Because they're so big. They drive around like they've got all day. Appreciate the scenery somewhere else, Grampa, and while you're at it, I'm not waving to you.

Ducati guys?I don't wave at them either. Why don't they spend a little more money on their bikes? "You can have it in any color you want, as long as it's red." Aren't you cool! Like they even know what a desmo-whatever engine is, anyway. Try finding the battery, you Italian-wannabe racers! I never, ever wave at those guys.

Suzuki guys aren't much better, which is why I never wave at them, either. They always have those stupid helmets sitting on top of their stupid heads, and God forbid they should wear any safety gear. They make me so mad. Sometimes they'll speed by and look over at me and you know what I do? I don't wave. I just keep on going. Please, don't get me started on Kawasaki guys. Ninjas? What are you, twelve years old? Team Green my ass. I never wave at Kawasaki guys.

I ride a Honda, and I'll only wave at Honda guys, but even then, I'll never wave at a guy in full leathers. Never, never, never. Yeah, like you're going to get your knee down on the New York Thruway. Nice crotch, by the way. Guys in full leathers will never get a wave from me, and by the way, neither will the guys in two-piece leathers. And I'll tell you who else I'm not waving at? Those guys with the helmets with the loud paintjobs. Four pounds of paint on a two pound helmet? Like I'm going to wave back to that! I'll also never wave at someone with a mirrored visor. Or helmet stickers. Or racing gloves. Or hiking boots.

To me, motorcycling is a like a family, a close-knit brotherhood of people who ride Hondas, wear jeans and a leather jacket (not Vanson) with regular gloves and a solid-color helmet with a clear visor, no stickers, no racing gloves and regular boots (not Timberlands). And isn't that what really makes riding so special?

epsylum
10-05-2005, 18:11
;z

Pretty funny