First Responder/EMT/Red Cross FA [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : First Responder/EMT/Red Cross FA

murph2127
10-06-2005, 09:31
Could anyone explain to me the level of instruction between an EMT, First Responder, and Red Cross First aid type course?

Thank you,

Ted

TerraMedicX
10-06-2005, 11:43
This somewhat depends on your state as the Skills Allowed for EMTs is determined by state statute, but in general:

First Aid: This covers the VERY basics of splinting and bandaging, CPR and a very little on shock management (basically keep them warm!).

First Responder: This is far more extensive training, and is aimed at people who will encounter medical and traumatic emergencies as a regular part of their business (i.e. Police, firefighters, ski patrol, etc.). First responders are trained in advanced treatment of trauma including splinting, bandaging, management of spinal injuries and shock control. They are also more throughly trained in medical emergencies and can preform medical procedures such as insertion of airway adjuncts and (with the approval of a physician adviser) administering oxygen. First responders are supposed to be the first group of trained medical providers to reach the victim and provide the bridge between lay-person and the professional EMS crew.

EMT: EMTs (generally referring to EMT-Basics or equivalent) are the entry level of professional EMS personnel. EMT training is very similar to First Responder training (depending on the first responder instructor) but has a much greater emphasis on history and physical exam skills (better trained to find the problem basically). EMTs are also trained in longer-term treatment, the idea being that they will be with the patient longer and must be able to provide for their needs during that time. Skill sets for EMTs as opposed to First Responders are fairly similar (like I said earlier this greatly depends on the state and what they allow EMTs to do), but also includes assisting with certain medications, and in some areas initiating IV therapy. The EMT is designed to provide medical care as the primary responsibility of their jobs.

Hope that helps a bit, let me know if something is unclear or you want more clarification.

Nate.

murph2127
10-06-2005, 12:18
Thank you very much, that was pretty enlightening.

Just wanted to get some more current first aid instruction, and was not sure if I just wanted to recertify in the basic first aid or try the first responder training.

FWIW, what I was looking for was training that would be suitibale for caring for a bad construction accident or range mishap, until real EMS arrived. Last bad one took over 45 minutes for response.(was out in the sticks) Sounds like the First Responder might be the way to go then.

Thank you,

Ted

TerraMedicX
10-07-2005, 14:25
Originally posted by murph2127
FWIW, what I was looking for was training that would be suitibale for caring for a bad construction accident or range mishap, until real EMS arrived. Last bad one took over 45 minutes for response.(was out in the sticks) Sounds like the First Responder might be the way to go then.

Thank you,

Ted

Yep, sounds like First Responder would do you good...you'd probably want to get a little bit of basic equipment as well if you've got that long of a response. If you take the class, you instructor should be able to help you figure out what you need.

Nate.