Just a quick Hello! [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Just a quick Hello!

Jon G23
10-06-2005, 21:47
I'm K0JP and just wanted to say HI. I have been into Ham for a long time.. and guns, longer! I have not been active in Ham Radio for a few years, but I'd like to get back into it. I wish i had a HF rig when i was in Russia the last year and a half!!

Jon
K0JP

R. Emmelman
10-07-2005, 07:08
Jon,

Welcome! My call is WI9NDY and I have been a ham since 1978. I am active on HF as well as VHF/UHF. Most of my HF activity is on Air Force MARS.

73 de WI9NDY
Rich in INDY

Texas T
10-07-2005, 20:25
Originally posted by R. Emmelman

73 de WI9NDY
Rich in INDY
Are "vanity" call signs available or was it just coincidence that you got that one?

What happens to inactive call signs, are they reassigned? If I were to determine my dad's call sign, inactive since the late 60's would it be possible to obtain it (after I pass my test)?

lomfs24
10-07-2005, 23:49
Welcome Jon,
I am W7DOA and have been a ham since early this year.

Texas T. Yes, vanity callsigns are available and relatively easy to get. If you are looking for your Dad's old callsign and he has been inactive since the 60's you can get it, provided that it has not been reassigned. When a license expires the FCC holds the callsign in reserve for two years at which time it becomes available to be requested. If the licensee is deceased you can get them as soon as you prove operator is no longer living (read provide a death certificate). If the expired license was held by a family member you can request them sooner than two years as well.

If you know what the old call was you can go to FCC License search (http://wireless2.fcc.gov/UlsApp/UlsSearch/searchLicense.jsp) , enter the callsign and see if it has been reassigned. I think they raised the price for vanity callsigns now so it's like $25 or so. But you have to get your license first and a standard issued callsign before you can apply for a vanity.

Texas T
10-08-2005, 17:38
Thank you.