So, just how uncool are minivans? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : So, just how uncool are minivans?

Eagle78101
10-09-2005, 07:24
Anybody here drive one? Personally, I like them because they are safe (relatively speaking) and designed to be practical rather than stylish. But they are stereotyped as "momobiles" and people have rather strong opinions either for or against them.

What do you think?

Dandapani
10-09-2005, 08:29
They serve a purpose. BTDT. Family grew out of the mini-van stage. The newer ones are much cooler than during my mini-van years.

bac1023
10-09-2005, 13:20
I have never owned one, but wouldn't hesitate to buy one if I had the need. I don't know if I'd get one over a 4x4 SUV.

Asha'man
10-09-2005, 14:17
I'd never drive one.

Brian

Rob1035
10-09-2005, 16:22
IMHO, and I'm sure this will go over like a lead zepplin, but minivans are cooler than SUVs for the most part. In my neck of the woods, 90% of them do the exact same thing, which is haul kids around, and minivans do it better (to me). As stated in the "$35,000" thread though, my preference for baby hauling is a wagon, booyah.

Does anyone remember the article where they autocrossed a Honda Odyssey (iirc), and with decent tires, it was actually decently quick? I think they contrasted it with a Porsche 356 or somehting like that

dissthis
10-09-2005, 16:31
Mini-van??

NEVER, even with the 3rd child on the way!!

DaisyCutter
10-09-2005, 18:30
Yer balls will fall right off.

epsylum
10-09-2005, 21:47
I'd only get a Honda or Toyota. Just personal prefernce.

I'd try to make a sport wagon to work first. Subaru makes some nice sporty wagons (some even with turbos, but all with AWD).

DaisyCutter
10-09-2005, 21:49
...an you start sitting to pee too...

UCF-Tacoma
10-10-2005, 06:52
Originally posted by Rob1035
IMHO, and I'm sure this will go over like a lead zepplin, but minivans are cooler than SUVs for the most part. In my neck of the woods, 90% of them do the exact same thing, which is haul kids around, and minivans do it better (to me). As stated in the "$35,000" thread though, my preference for baby hauling is a wagon, booyah.

Does anyone remember the article where they autocrossed a Honda Odyssey (iirc), and with decent tires, it was actually decently quick? I think they contrasted it with a Porsche 356 or somehting like that

It was a Super Bird or whatever the proper name is. The one with the big wing. And the Odyssey was weighed down with waitresses to even out the weight difference.

Sir Hacksalot
10-10-2005, 11:45
one thing about a mini-van...it's easier to shag your wife and/or girlfriend or both in one of those than a car.

Hax

Rob1035
10-10-2005, 13:32
UFC- was that grassroots motorsports? I seem to think it was...

Sir Hacksalot
10-10-2005, 13:40

If you have some sort of PSP suite, you can search and download a video clip of an older Dodge Caravan that has a small turbo charged 4 cylinder engine in it. Unbeknownst to most, that little engine can stand a TON of boost, and make sick power.

The video is a minivan with a soccer ball sticker on it ANNIHILATING a Camaro at a drag strip, it's by far one of the funniest things I have ever seen.

If you can download it, it's worth the watch as you can hear the people in the stands laughing their *****es off.

Hax

gixxer11
10-10-2005, 15:04
Originally posted by Sir Hacksalot
If you have some sort of PSP suite, you can search and download a video clip of an older Dodge Caravan that has a small turbo charged 4 cylinder engine in it. Unbeknownst to most, that little engine can stand a TON of boost, and make sick power.

The video is a minivan with a soccer ball sticker on it ANNIHILATING a Camaro at a drag strip, it's by far one of the funniest things I have ever seen.

If you can download it, it's worth the watch as you can hear the people in the stands laughing their *****es off.

Hax

Ya mean this video?

Sir Hacksalot
10-10-2005, 15:05
That'd be it.

Hax

gixxer11
10-10-2005, 15:22
Originally posted by Eagle78101
Anybody here drive one? Personally, I like them because they are safe (relatively speaking) and designed to be practical rather than stylish. But they are stereotyped as "momobiles" and people have rather strong opinions either for or against them.

What do you think?

Hey, Mazda Miatas are supposed to be for girls, but I would love to own one (if I could fit in the thing). BTW, the Honda or the Toyota are pretty cool in my book. Especially compared to Buick Rondevous (and all it's BS varuants), Ford Escape, and all of the other "cute-utes". You could do ALOT worse than buying a mini-van. Hell you could buy another POS Caddy for $70k that is totally indistinguishble from it's POS Suburban counterpart. They're both some of the UGLYIST (along with the H2&3 Hummers) vehicles ever produced. And you'll blend right in with all the "moms".

vart
10-10-2005, 21:23
My wife traded in her 2001 Infiniti QX4 luxury SUV for a 2005 Chrysler Town & Country minivan and she swears she won't go back to an SUV until the kids are out of the house.

The van is so much more practical, roomy, comfortable, and averages 24 mpg compared to 15 mpg for the SUV.

walangkatapat
10-10-2005, 22:35
After totaling my 95 Impala SS ~sd I only had one choice and that was, is the minivan. Frankly they are very versatile and get decent gas mileage. My family of five and used to have two labs works out very well. Seats eight, the back and middle seats are removable and there's enough room to haul two 40 gallon water heaters to the dump as well as other items. Also all the target stands, steel plates, range bags, firearms that can be hauled to the range.

epsylum
10-10-2005, 22:42
My family had a Ford Aerostar for a while when I was younger. We got it because at the time we were taking weekly trips to a town 2.5 hours away to visit my great grandmother who was towards the end of her run.

We got the van so the four of us (or more sometimes) could make the trip as comfortably as possible. Man those things are sweet for road trips. We had the 4 capatians chairs and back bench setup. That bench made a great bed while on the road. We kept a cooler in the back so we didn't even have to stop to eat. Just grab some pre-made sandwiches and drinks out of the cooler and pass them around.

coreseller
10-11-2005, 18:45
Real Simple: Minivans are INCREDIBLY practical, especially if you have more than 2 kids. The wife got a new Oddysey this past spring, no regrets, 24 plus mpg loaded down on the road. Our old minivan (99 Olds Silhouette) was the worst POS we've ever owned (20 trips to the shop in 4 years). To be honest, I'll occassionally drive her van to relax and she takes my new GTO for fun. BTW, I still stand to pee and the boys are still there, I need them when road racing my Cobra....;f

ChuteTheMall
10-13-2005, 10:08
http://students.kennesaw.edu/~jmv7403/a-team-van.jpg

"I pity da fool what disses my mommymobile!"

:cool:

G27dogmannfl
10-27-2005, 18:57
i would get a 4x4 suv first but if i had to get a minivan it would be the honda or the new ford.

Victory
10-27-2005, 22:06
I remember back in the early days of me being a licenced driver, before i had my own car, i was forced to borrow my moms purple dodge minivan on occasion. Possibly the most immasculating thing ever.

Should the day come when i become a dad and i'm stuck buying a minivan, i'm gonna get a used 3.8L windstar and drop in a worked 3.8 from an old t-bird supercoupe so i can roast all the other soccer moms and dads. ;f

Hopefully i marry a woman cool enough to lay rubber picking little timmy up from soccer practice.

Sir Hacksalot
10-28-2005, 07:55
A good friend of mine has a minivan, and trust me he's the 'least feminine person' you've ever met, he, like I both agree, if we had an inner female, we'd be inside touching it all the time.

Regardless, he has a minivan. That being said, he also has the following:

11 second pump gas Buick Grand National
9 second blown, 408 windsor 1992 Mustang GT
12 second 1970 Chevy Nova

FYI...he drives the Grand National when he doesn't have to haul his kids around, and when he's not driving like his hair is on fire, he actually gets 25-27 mpg, with the air conditioner on.

Minivans aren't too bad...if you have something else to drive later.

Hax

rammie
10-28-2005, 14:20
I agree with the practicality, you cant beat the minivans for economy paired with utility (how many SUVs are ever used to their "full capability"). And I've seen more soccermoms driving Escalades, Explorers and Tahoes than vans these days. Plus minivans dont steal your nards, they have balls of their own-check out power and acceleration numbers on some of these things. I would own one but not as my primary vehicle. While we're at it, any other stereotypical vehicles come to mind: VW Rabbit/Cabrio: total chick car
80s Camaro: mullet sporting dirtball
BMW Z3: midlife crisis
Full size van with no windows: Serial killer or the politically incorrect Immigrant smuggler van
VW Bus: hippies, duh

dissthis
10-28-2005, 19:31
HEY
I had a 78 Camero
and a mullet
but not a dirtball!!

FlaFF
10-31-2005, 09:51
A quick check shows that of the minivans produced by Toyota, Nissan and Honda all come standard with V6 engines that make more horsepower than the standard V6"magnum" that comes in the Dodge Durango. Furthermore, two of the three minivans V6's make more horsepower than the smaller V8 (non-hemi) available in the Durango. They do this while getting better gas mileage to boot. Minivans make much more sense for 95% of users than SUV's. Price is generally better too. Sounds like the SUV drivers are trying to compensate for something. ;)

FlaFF

BOBK48
11-03-2005, 15:49
We have 2 Mini Vans a 91 Caravan we bought new and is still used daily and a 2002 Gran Caravan. My children are grown so there is no soccer crap. Besides I can't put 7 people in my Chrysler 300.

JMag
11-12-2005, 12:03
The new Mercedes M may cloud the issue at a bit of a high price tag...

http://www.usatoday.com/money/autos/reviews/healey/2005-10-06-m-class_x.htm

PistolWhip
11-27-2005, 16:05
Originally posted by gixxer11
Ya mean this video?

Anyone notice how that video does not show the times and there is no one in the stands? It has track rental and video "joke/hoax" during down time written all over it. I know there was a magazine article a while back about a Dodge Caravan that had ALLOT of work done to it and was going high 11's with 18 psi of boost, but it was not that van. It lacked the sporty wooded sides like that one had.

geminicricket
11-27-2005, 16:17
I had a 93 Voyager for 11 years.
My wife wanted a minivan since they were introduced in 1984.
She still wants one. At the time, I didn't think I could afford payments on the kind of minivan I wanted (loaded, V6), so I got a full-size car. The car gets better gas mileage than the minivan did.
After that I bought 2 more cars, so in a way, I couldn't have if I'd gotten the minivan.

The passengers in the 3rd row of a minivan can get out in more emergency situations than can the passengers in the 3rd row of an SUV.
If you ever think you'll have a passenger in the 3rd row, the minivan is very much better than the SUV.
The styling, comfort, and utility of the modern minivans is much improved over every generation which preceded them.

In short, if you know you need the four-wheel-drive and ground clearance of a Grand Cherokee, get a Grand Cherokee. If you don't expect to be driving off-road, the minivan is a better choice than the SUV and the sedan.