New Car Dilemma: Mazda6 or Ford Five Hundred? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : New Car Dilemma: Mazda6 or Ford Five Hundred?

JMag
10-09-2005, 14:01
Friend wants the Mazda6 as it is more sporty (everyone has an Accord or Camry he says) than the Ford Five Hundred the wife wants (she believes it safer as they have a child). There lies the dilemma.

I told him I'd collect some opinions from here at GT. Fire away; I appreciate the help helping these folks. The prices are pretty close either way with the option list they want, BTW.

TIA.

phxtravis
10-09-2005, 22:38
Maybe another option could be the new Malibu Maxx SS? I owned an 04 Maxx LT and from personal experience I can vouch for its safety, hit a wall at 45degrees going over 60mph and had no injuries what so ever. The new SS has the 3.9, my LT has the 3.5 and it was pretty quick, after my car was totalled I thought about the SS but didnt want the payments anymore. Also, the platform is shared by many of GM's cars, very lightweight and stiff design.

If it has to be a 6 or fivehundred I would choose the 6, the 6 has recieved SO many good reviews and looks awesome whereas I have yet to hear anything stelluar on the Fivehundred.

epsylum
10-10-2005, 05:41
I wouldn't say one is safer than the other. They are both made by the same company with the same amount of attention given to safety. I don't even have to look it up, but I am willing to bet they both even scored pretty equally in crash tests (probably either a 4 or 5 star rating). In America, you can't sell an unsafe car any more, well...... unless it's cheap enough to make people forget about it being dangerous *cough* Kia *cough*.

Some people are stuck with old Volvos in mind as far as car safety is concerned. The more boring it looks, the safer it is.

JMag
10-10-2005, 08:44
Thanks for the help. They've updated me that the Five Hundred is winning out due to the trunk size and the large spaces inside v. the 6. I think they are about there, so to speak.

Personally, I think I would go with the 6 as it looks more fun.

OUSooner
10-10-2005, 09:33
I think the Mazda has a better warranty and for sure has a better reputation. If you plan on keeping it I would get the 6.

Asha'man
10-10-2005, 21:22
Mazdaspeed6. 274hp/284tq, AWD, 6-spd, huge brakes, family-carrying capacity. :)

Brian

epsylum
10-10-2005, 22:47
Originally posted by OUSooner
I think the Mazda has a better warranty and for sure has a better reputation. If you plan on keeping it I would get the 6.

They are both made by ford.

I think they may even be based on the same chassis. I know the new Focus and Mazda 3 are the same thing (I think the Mazda looks better though).

Glockman67
10-12-2005, 13:50
I believe the Fusion and the 6 are based on the same chassis.

The Volvo S40 is based off the Mazda 3.

gman67

walkin' trails
10-12-2005, 19:43
Ford owns something like 25 percent of Mazda. I haven't heard much about the 500 other than it seems to be a bit on the underpowered side, but comes with optional all wheel drive. I'd at least check for frequency of repairs and such on the Ford since its only been on the market for about a year.

epsylum
10-12-2005, 19:56
Originally posted by walkin' trails
Ford owns something like 25 percent of Mazda. I haven't heard much about the 500 other than it seems to be a bit on the underpowered side, but comes with optional all wheel drive. I'd at least check for frequency of repairs and such on the Ford since its only been on the market for about a year.

I believe the AWD is only availible with the CVT (yuck).

Gary_P
10-13-2005, 18:15
I have seen a few 500's in for service, mostly molding warpage issues and a few, and I mean few, in for rotor/hub replacement

NO major repairs as of yet. this is the first time I can remember a model launch so successful by FORD that wasn't riddles with recalls. I drove one for 2000 miles and I can tell you, I would buy the 500 without hesitation.

Gary

Gary_P
10-13-2005, 18:16
BTW the CVT kicks ass

Gary

Maxthemutt
10-16-2005, 22:05
I also rarely hear of 500 repairs. It is also very roomy.

kawalerzysta
10-17-2005, 07:01
Originally posted by JMag
Friend wants the Mazda6 as it is more sporty (everyone has an Accord or Camry he says) than the Ford Five Hundred the wife wants (she believes it safer as they have a child). There lies the dilemma.

I told him I'd collect some opinions from here at GT. Fire away; I appreciate the help helping these folks. The prices are pretty close either way with the option list they want, BTW.

TIA.
If safety is a priority, Ford Five Hundred comes also in AWD.

johnstrr
10-17-2005, 08:48
If you need space the M6 wagon is the way to go.

jessz1
10-23-2005, 17:59
I work in a BMW, Honda, Mazda dealer as a body tech. I would say the Mazdas do not take a hit well. Also, I do more rust repairs on mazdas than all the other makes combined. In my opinion, I would steer clear of the mazdas.

Glockman67
10-25-2005, 14:07
Originally posted by jessz1
I work in a BMW, Honda, Mazda dealer as a body tech. I would say the Mazdas do not take a hit well. Also, I do more rust repairs on mazdas than all the other makes combined. In my opinion, I would steer clear of the mazdas.

Interesting take.

I wonder what the average age is of the drivers bringing in their wrecked mazdas. That may skew the data results.

gman67