Waist size questions [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Waist size questions

45acp4me
10-09-2005, 17:19
Well I don't think I'm getting fat, but I know that I have been putting on muscle and maybe a bit of fat to go along with it. I've managed to jump my pants size up a notch from 33 to 34 and I don't like it. Is it a normal thing for me to start pushing into the next pant size from muscle gains, is should I stop weights for a couple weeks and concentrate on cardio only?

BCR
10-10-2005, 14:27
I did the same thing last year. I really concentrated on eating tons of calories and protein. I've always been very thin and had trouble adding mass.

My waist went from a 30-31 to a 32. Luckily it was from my whole torso/trunk getting thicker with muscle. There was a small amount of fat. My GF noticed it and even I could see it in the mirror. For once in my life it seemed like I added a layer of mass to my entire body.

So yes, I would say it is normal. Unless you don't like the way it looks I wouldn't worry about it.

I was actually glad it happened to me. As I stated in my other post (about creatine) I'm starting to pound down more protein and calories this winter, but will also do a couple of days of cardio as well. Last year I did zero cardio to make those gains (about 5-7 honest pounds of mass), but this year I don't want my waist to get any bigger or I'll need to invest in new pants.

DBradD
10-25-2005, 16:39
I recommend having your bodyfat percentage checked to be sure. It's obviously possible to add muscle to your abdomen - look at Ed Coan. I can't prove it, but I think that more often than not, this is from fat. That's certainly the simplest explanation! Bodyfat percentage checks are cheap and easy. Speaking of that, I probably need to get that done also. It's so tempting to go by weight, measurements, etc, and ignore the old calipers.

DBD

cop1215
11-05-2005, 01:53
its normal...in the last 5 months i have increased form a 36 waist to a 37-38 and my torso has just exploded....i eat between 3000-4000 calories a day and about 300 grams of protein.i also have put on 25 pounds of solid muscle....dont sweat it...its all good.

Ender
11-13-2005, 01:36
eh...if the 'gains' are proportional, don't be overly concerned.

a few years ago i was a nice slim 32 in waist, but skinny as hell everywhere else. nowadays i'm a 36, with a lot more muscle (even tho you wouldn't know it as of late), and a bit more fat.

overall, its probably better than being a stick thin dood, but who knows ;)

BCR
11-13-2005, 03:20
Hmmm, this year seems a little different.

I've gained about 5-6 pounds, but oddly enough this time my waist hasn't grown. Pants are a little tighter in the legs, but waist seems to be the same. I'm a little more bloated though, from stuffing my face at every opportunity I get.

Maybe the waist will stretch out in a few months. But for now it's a good thing. Don't want to buy new jeans for a 3rd time.

Most of the new mass seems to be in my chest, arms and traps (according to my GF).

DBradD
11-13-2005, 12:46
LOL. Yawl are overlooking the most likely culprit - FAT. I remember saying stuff like this back when I was powerlifting. Denial isn't just a river in Egypt!

If you really want to know, go get a bodyfat percentage test. They're cheap and fast. If you want to "hope for the best" then don't get the bodyfat test. After all, it's not that difficult to lose fat. I've lost two belt loops and 17 lbs in 5 weeks. I'm almost back to the waist size that I had before the last couple of years of powerlifting, telling myself that it was muscle.

Maybe your increase is muscle - I recommended an easy way to be sure.

DBD

45acp4me
11-14-2005, 08:57
I've doubled my cardio in the past couple weeks and did a slight calorie cut and my jeans are slowly getting looser. I've changed my 20 minute warmup to 40 to 50 minutes on the elliptical and I'm not eating enough to gain mass. I'll keep it up for a while, but I need to keep some fat on for the winter. :)