Final drive. [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Final drive.

okie
10-10-2005, 01:22
There is a possibility I may be getting a motorcycle in the near future. It will be a crusier(Jap bike) Should I get a belt drive, chain drive, or shaft drive if in fact this does take place^8

iceman32
10-10-2005, 01:36
in terms of maintanence shaft is easiest to take care of then belt then chain drive. most cruisers are belt or chain drive. theres really no downside to any of them if you don't mind maintanence. onw thing with shaft drive bikes is an effect known as "shaft-jack" on some bikes it's non-existent some bikes more apparent than others but when you accelerate the bike will get taller. compared to squatting with a belt or chain. it's not a problem just different if you've driven belt or chain bikes.

epsylum
10-10-2005, 05:34
Belt or shaft are going to be your 2 main options when it comes to metric cruisers. As previously mentioned, Shaft is the easiest to maintain, but it offers no easy way of changing gearing. Belts are fine for cuisers. It's only in high performance applications where they have issues.

Out of the Metric cruisers the Honda VTX (shaft) and Yamaha Road Star (belt) are 2 of the best.

fnfalman
10-10-2005, 09:28
I like shaft drive but there is a lot of drive line lashes that associate with shaft drive. There's no free lunch, I suppose. Belt and chain are smoother, but the chain requires often cleaning and lubricating. Belt can tear if there's gravel that gets in between it and the teeth. Heaven helps you if the shaft breaks.

okie
10-10-2005, 11:05
I thank you all from the bottom of my heart for the good info.;) :cool:

BikerRN
10-10-2005, 11:44
My Harley had a belt, no problems. My Ducati has a chain, again, no problems.

The BMW I rode had a shaft, mucho problemo. Like it was said earlier, "Heaven help you if your shaft breaks." It's easier to get a chain or belt repaired in Podunk, Idaho than a shaft. That is something to keep in mind if you plan on touring across the country.

Chains require more maintenance, but that is a good thing because you can inspect your bike as you are cleaning the chain. It will help you to know your bike better. Good luck, enjoy and have fun.

hank327
10-11-2005, 12:46
Chain maintenance is no big deal. It's a lot easier than cleaning a firearm and you do it only every four or five hundred miles or as needed.

Bullwinkle J Moose
10-11-2005, 18:30
Try a shaft and you'll never go back.

One Ragged Hole
10-13-2005, 08:36
Shaft drive also has a quirk where it rises up in the rear under power, and squats down under Engine braking. Dad's old Beemer was a fun ride. It was a '69 R600 S with an Earle's Fork. Remember those?
O-R-H