Mercury Marauders? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Mercury Marauders?

Dark_Knight7096
10-11-2005, 19:00
Anyone here own a Mercury Marauder? I own one and I love it. I also love getting in touch with other owners. Unfortunately I was involved in an accident 28 hours ago and did approx 4K worth of damage to my front end, but I should be getting it fixed soon. Most people I have ran into really can't tell the difference between them and the Grand Marquis' or Crown Vics. So, any Marauder owners, or enthusiasts?

geminicricket
10-11-2005, 19:16
If it's just the car you want to talk about, honestly, edmunds.com forums are pretty good.

I don't have one, but if you enjoy having it, good for you.

epsylum
10-11-2005, 20:05
My dad had one. He had to give it back (it was a leased company car). He loved that thing. I got to drive it a couple of times. It really surprises you how much get up and go that big ole body on frame family sedan has. It must be the gearing, because even looking at the numbers it didn't look like it would drive the way it did. Stiff suspension, gripped really well, and pulled pretty hard in the straights.

That growl the car lets out when it starts is completely worth it. Me and my brother kept badgering him to put an exhaust on it because it sounded so good. He never did though (for obvious reasons).

method
10-11-2005, 23:48
www.svtperformance.com has a Maurader forum, seems to get a lot of traffic.

Alan
10-19-2005, 09:26
Just saw this thread. I'm an owner. It's an '03 300B all stock.
I'm sure you know about the Marauder website. PM me if you don't and I'll send you the URL.

Originally posted by Dark_Knight7096
Anyone here own a Mercury Marauder?

marauder220
10-19-2005, 17:02
2003 Black 300A here, has 13800 miles on the clock and love it more everyday. Had it supercharged last year. Chip and headers over this past winter. It is one nice vehicle. Mine doesn't see any winter driving since I hate to mess up the rims or get any stone\salt, etc dings all over the thing. I plan on getting a dyno tune and some other little things done next year since this thing is definatly a keeper.

Alan
10-19-2005, 17:28
Originally posted by marauder220
Had it supercharged last year.

Did you go with Trilogy?

marauder220
10-19-2005, 17:53
I went with Vortech actually, in retrospect, I should have gone with the trilogy setup, since it seems to put out better performance.

Alan
10-20-2005, 07:54
Don't worry about your choice, my friend. At least it's better than bone stock!

Victory
10-22-2005, 15:01
The marauder really needed to up the stock power. They should have thrown in the blown cobra plant from day one.

I love big fords and drive a crown vic, but i test drove the marauder and wasn't very impressed. It needed a bit more power. Test drove one with my friend Russ (svtregestry, jerseyvics). That particular ford agency actually had someone from the marauder project working there. Russ at the time was driving an AED supercharged 1999 police interceptor. We gave the maruader developer a test drive in russes car and strongly hinted at what the maruader needed to make up for poor sales figures.

I've seen some crazy performance mods on these cars. Once you've driven a supercharged crown vic that pulls mid 12s on street tires and is daily drivable, the stock marauder just doesn't have the kick you're looking for.

So, basically, what i'm saying is good choice on getting it blown.

Sir Hacksalot
10-24-2005, 15:00
I had a black Mercury Marauder as a company car, and in 2 years, put right over 100K miles on it.

I loved my Marauder, however, the 281 CID 32 Valve engine that does an admirable job in the Mach I, is less than stellar in the boat of a Marauder. This is just my opinion, but Ford really should have put the blown 4V Terminator motor in that car, and charged more money, I'd have still paid for it.

The factory stereo/CD changer/speakers are crap, at least for the money you pay for the car.

The fuel economy was great. I would routinely run 80-85 mph, and still get 20-22 mpg in that car, and when I dialed it down to say 70-75, I would see 24-25 mpg.

The marauder got me more attention than a Ferrari on fire. Cops, people, etc. would always ask me, "What is that" at a gas station.

As much as I loved my Marauder, I traded it in on a 2006 Chrysler 300C, and well, the 300C is just all around, worlds better. It has more room, more trunk room, a MUCH better sound system (optional), and is bluetoothed enabled, which is cool so I can use the entire car as my hand's free unit.

The 5.7L Hemi might not be the Pachyderm of the musclecar era, but let me say this...if I ran a stock Marauder against my 300C, he'd get nothing but a look at my taillights, and the MB transmission is smooth as glass and as quick as a cat on the shift. The 300C is quieter, and smoother, and just shows the age of the Crown Vic/Marquis/Marauder platform for what it is. The only area that the Marauder outperformed my 300C was fuel economy...the best I have gotten with the Hemi was 22 mpg, and that was going 74 mph from Sioux City to Des Moines. Around town, fuel economy is pretty bad...like 14-16 mpg.

I don't know what your plans are for that Marauder, but if I had mine, I'd slap a Kenne Bell Blowzilla 2.2 on it, Bassani full exhaust, and call it a day.

Hax

Victory
10-24-2005, 16:13
with the kenne bell you'd have to relocate the battery. the panther platform has the throttle body facing the other way. Not a big deal, fastest panther i ever drove was a vortech SQ supercharged 98 police interceptor. 12.59 on street tires. Owner was a DC park police cop. Go figure they issue him an impala at work.

You know someone just started making a paxton kit for the new hemi's. Think it was GS motorsports. Last i heared kenne bell still hasn't got ther **** togeather for the hemi supercharger.

You made the same point i did. The marauder with the terminator plant would have sold much better even at 5K more.