What is the best 1st person shooter w/old west theme? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : What is the best 1st person shooter w/old west theme?

NDGlock
10-12-2005, 12:10
I used to play 1st person shooters a lot: Duke Nukem 3D, Doom, Quake, Tribes, 1942 and RTCW. Anyway, I have been out of the loop the past year because of work and deployment to Iraq.

I am looking to get back into it a bit. What can you recommend for a good old west style first person shooter?

I played "Red Dead Revolver" (I think it was named this) on XBox.

Is there something similar for PC?

RF7126
10-12-2005, 19:33
There was one a long time ago called "Outlaws" I think, but it is severely dated by now. I haven't seen any good ones recently, Red Dead Revolver appears to be the closest thing to it.

NDGlock
10-12-2005, 20:56
Actually, I think I found it...it is called "Gun - Kingdom Come"...coming soon. Do a search on it...looks badass!

RF7126
10-13-2005, 06:47
Wow, that looks great! If the free roam plays out as well as it could, it should be an awesome game. Thanks. :)

RF7126
10-13-2005, 06:51
I just saw the trailer, the guy even sounds like Tom Jane from the Punisher! Now that's cool. :cool:

Black Metal
10-13-2005, 08:42
You might want to give a game called "Darkwatch". It kinda of like the old west meets Doom.

Black Metal

Walter45Auto
10-13-2005, 19:49
I like Dead Man's Hand, but it's a pretty easy game. Not very challenging. You may not like it.

;g

;8 ;I

gh0st614
10-17-2005, 04:58
Yea, there arent enuff quality western games out there, red dead revolver was fun tho.

Forensik
10-24-2005, 14:27
I played Outlaws, put out by Lucasarts in the mid to late 90s, was pretty poor. Red Dead Revolver was WONDERFUL, if not based in any sort of reality.

"Gun," looks like the game to get this year. I am a huge fan of the Grand Theft Auto game play style and Gun looks like it will fit the bill dead on.

Cmoosh
10-26-2005, 19:02
Why don't you look at Darkwatch, it is kind of a horror/wild west theme all set in first person shooter where you are a vampire who becomes a part of a group called "Darkwatch" from the demo i played it has me going through some old wooden type train.

Here is the website: (not sure if it is 56k friendly) Flash required

http://www.darkwatch.com/index.html#

i would recommend just letting it load in the background if you do have 56k it is a prety cool flash created website site in my opinion

jason10mm
11-21-2005, 05:34
The guy on GUN sounds likie Thomas Jane because it IS Thomas Jane! Lance Hendricksen and Kris Kristopherson are in it as well. I'm gonna grab GUN when I get my Xbox 360.

H-D&GLOCK
11-21-2005, 06:19
Originally posted by Forensik
I played Outlaws, put out by Lucasarts in the mid to late 90s, was pretty poor. Red Dead Revolver was WONDERFUL, if not based in any sort of reality.

"Gun," looks like the game to get this year. I am a huge fan of the Grand Theft Auto game play style and Gun looks like it will fit the bill dead on.

I agree, I own red dead revolver and like it very much. Gun, looks like a real great game comming out though.

Bikewer
11-21-2005, 19:26
The reviews on "Gun" are kind of mixed. Most like the thing, but complain that it's too short. Maybe wait till the price drops...

H-D&GLOCK
11-22-2005, 15:08
Originally posted by Bikewer
The reviews on "Gun" are kind of mixed. Most like the thing, but complain that it's too short. Maybe wait till the price drops...

Or do like I do and rent it first to see what it is worth. Usually wait a month or so and the price will drop.

RF7126
11-25-2005, 08:53
I just rented GUN for my regular Xbox this week.

The graphics are good, the voice acting is pretty good-especially with Thomas Jane as the main voice. The gameplay is not quite like GTA. GTA was pretty true to the idea of a free environment with plenty of extra missions that you could do endlessly (taxi,vigilante,ambulance,etc...) and several fun vehicles/locations that kept it interesting. GUN's main gameplay is more like Red Dead Revolver with the option of riding around the countryside every once in a while completing a limited number of side missions. There's about 10 side missions per type, such as working for a sheriff. However, when you complete those missions you're done, there really isn't anything else to do.

I still think GUN is a very good game, and one of the best westerns, although a little short. It's not quite the GTA of the West, but if you're looking for a good western shooter, you'll probably enjoy this one.

NDGlock
11-28-2005, 10:01
Thanks for the review RF. I'll need to get it when I get a 360.

Of course, I need to get Call of Duty 2 Big Red 1!