Should I buy it? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Should I buy it?

Cochese
10-12-2005, 21:40
http://images.traderonline.com/EMedia/tarchive2/250/417002/00473855922.jpg

1996 Katana GSX-600
$1500.

New tires and battery. 15k miles. "ready to ride".

I need something to ride to work 7 miles one-way because gas is killing me in my truck. It would be my second motorcycle. I used to have a 1995 Kawi Ninja EX500R a few years ago. I'm not looking for some ridiculous sportbike to kill myself on. I'm 6'3 200lbs. It's going to be a commuter/weekend errand mobile.
Not getting it to impress chicks. Don't care what the guy on the GSXR-1000 with the backwards upside down visor and flip flops thinks about me riding a Katana.
I understand the Katanas sit you upright slightly more than a sportbike and that these are considered sport/tour bikes.

Opinions?
I miss having a bike and would love to save $$$ on gas.

Questions:
What kind of MPG can I expect?
What kind of maintenance $$$ can I expect? (brakes/tuneups/etc)
Are Katanas semi reliable?
What are my insurance options in Texas?

Thanks in advance.
Now I need to find $1500. Don't really wanna put it on a credit card.

It's 30 miles away so I'm gonna try and go take a look at it on Friday.

epsylum
10-13-2005, 05:46
looks like it's been wrecked, so there is possible abuse. Katana 6s are everywhere so no need to jump on one right away. I would try to find one that at least wasn't obviously dumped.

fnfalman
10-13-2005, 07:42
I would also look for a used SV650 as well. The SV650 also sits upright (as opposed to the SV650S with the sportier riding position). Why the SV and not the Katana? The SV is lighter and easier to handle on a commute. And there's the Honda Bandit and other similar types of vehicle. They are honest street bikes and don't have the racer-wannabe fairings look like the Katana. You might even get a better insurance rate due to the fact that it's not a faired sport bike.

But as far as the Katana goes, it's a tried-and-trued vehicle like the EX250 and EX500 (aka Ninja 250 and Ninja 500).

This particular Katana just doesn't seem to be in good shape for a vehicle that only has 15K miles on.

Cochese
10-13-2005, 17:35
Originally posted by epsylum
looks like it's been wrecked, so there is possible abuse. Katana 6s are everywhere so no need to jump on one right away. I would try to find one that at least wasn't obviously dumped.

Holy crap, your right. I just looked up the NADA thinking it would be 2500-3000! Ha! $1500 low retail.

Thanks for the heads up! I didn't notice the fairing damage until you mentioned it...

Cochese
10-13-2005, 17:40
Originally posted by fnfalman
I would also look for a used SV650 as well. The SV650 also sits upright (as opposed to the SV650S with the sportier riding position). Why the SV and not the Katana? The SV is lighter and easier to handle on a commute. And there's the Honda Bandit and other similar types of vehicle. They are honest street bikes and don't have the racer-wannabe fairings look like the Katana. You might even get a better insurance rate due to the fact that it's not a faired sport bike.

But as far as the Katana goes, it's a tried-and-trued vehicle like the EX250 and EX500 (aka Ninja 250 and Ninja 500).

This particular Katana just doesn't seem to be in good shape for a vehicle that only has 15K miles on.

Good info. Thanks a ton.

Here is what I want:

-Lots better gas mileage than my 2004 Ranger 4.0 4x4
-a sportbikish appearance (don't want a cruiser)
-a non uber aggressive seating position (like the katana)
-$1000-$2000 (1500 would be nice)
-liability and collision only. No comprehensive as I think
that'll save $

I was thinking Katana, but it doesn't have to be. I'm not partial to any one manufacturer. I don't mind semi naked bikes like the sv650. I had an EX500 Ninja and want something a tad larger... (I'm 6'3/200 lbs)

epsylum
10-13-2005, 17:52
Honda Bandit

You just made every Suzuki guy on here cringe. ;)

epsylum
10-13-2005, 18:04
Originally posted by glocktastic
Good info. Thanks a ton.

Here is what I want:

-Lots better gas mileage than my 2004 Ranger 4.0 4x4
-a sportbikish appearance (don't want a cruiser)
-a non uber aggressive seating position (like the katana)
-$1000-$2000 (1500 would be nice)
-liability and collision only. No comprehensive as I think
that'll save $

I was thinking Katana, but it doesn't have to be. I'm not partial to any one manufacturer. I don't mind semi naked bikes like the sv650. I had an EX500 Ninja and want something a tad larger... (I'm 6'3/200 lbs)

In your price range it'll be tough to find one that doesn't need some kind of work. Not saying it's impossible. Katana 6's can be had around that price, but usually owned by other or whole strings of beginners, and you know what mistakes beginners make (we were all there at some point). You could look for older CBR 600 F2's or even 600 Hurricanes. Older FZR 600's. If not then you may have to dive into the 80's bikes to find a decent one at that price. I know I did. I have an 84 Kawasaki GPz 1100, I originally bought it from a dealer about 7 or 8 years ago for $2000. Then sold it to my dad, then bought it back.

Cochese
10-13-2005, 18:31
Other than the fact that this one has been laid down, is there anything about Katanas that's bad?

epsylum
10-13-2005, 22:52
Other than the fact that this one has been laid down, is there anything about Katanas that's bad?

For your use, no.

The main complaint with them is that they are slow (again not an issue with you). They were far from high tech when they were introduced back in the late 80's and all they have done is put snazzier (uglier) plastic on the late 90's and up models.

Now that being said it will still outrun most cars on the road, but in the bike world, that's not hard.

Another thing that I sort of touched on earlier is, a lot of people like to get them as a first bike. So, buying one used is a crap shoot. People's first bikes are thier learning bikes, so bike could be wrecked, dropped, not maintained, and even worse improperly maintained (you have to go find and reverse someone else's screw ups).

About the wrecked bike thing. The mis matched flat black plastic and repainted gas tank was a dead give away. Judging from the gas tank paint job, it was probably done before the wreck. It looks like the usual crappy "solid color and chrome badging put on wrong" paintjob that I see all the time around town. Let's just say I wouldn't trust the people who have these kinds of paint jobs to give me the right month if I asked for it. Some people like to try and bring bikes back that should have been totaled. So you have to look out for things like a bent frame. If the bike rides funny or pulls wierd, good chance an alignment ain't gunna fix that.

I am just warning you since in that price range you can very eaily wind up with a $1500 pile of worthless crap just as easily as a good working bike. If you know anyone that knows something about bikes (a bike mechanic would be best), I would have them give whatever you are looking at a once over just to make sure.

Good luck.

VWglocker
10-14-2005, 07:41
you drive 7 miles each way to work. you might get 45mpg on the bike. you probably get what, 18-20mpg on the ranger. how long is it going to take you to make up the $1500?

ps. don't forget to add in oil changes, insurance, etc.

fnfalman
10-14-2005, 08:57
It's going to be his weekend errand mobile as well, so the mileage probably will rack up real soon.

Glocktastic, you're a tall fellow so the Katana's relatively heavy weight wouldn't be a problem for you since that you can easily flatfoot both feet on that thing.

When you get into the $1500 range, there really isn't a lot available that are in excellent shape, so shop wisely.

Cochese
10-14-2005, 09:55
I'm not the poorest bastard on earth, but working as a police officer in texas for the state isn't a big cash cow.
On top of that, I'm getting married in Oct of 2006.

My Ranger (16mpg) is a lease vehicle. I got it in March of 2004 brand new for about 17000. It's a 22,300 truck brand new. I worked at the dealership a few years ago and they D planned it to me, so I have some equity in it. What I'd like to do is sell it before the lease is up and use the equity to get a nicer motorcycle, or a cheap car and a 1500-2000 bike.

First I have to find someone that wants a 2004 Ranger XLT 4.0 4x4!

;g

Thanks for all of the good ionfo so far, all.

VWglocker
10-14-2005, 15:29
i'm not saying don't do it, just make sure you do your math. just quick figuring it looks like you'll have to ride the bike 11,000 miles before you recoup the $1500. thats the break even point (just in fuel costs). my 2 cents.

epsylum
10-14-2005, 16:21
Originally posted by VWglocker
i'm not saying don't do it, just make sure you do your math. just quick figuring it looks like you'll have to ride the bike 11,000 miles before you recoup the $1500. thats the break even point (just in fuel costs). my 2 cents.

But, your formula doesn't factor in 2-wheeled fun.

;f

phxtravis
10-15-2005, 16:54
I must agree about the SV650, not only does it look better but it also *should* get better mileage.

Fast Glass
10-15-2005, 18:10
I sold my '93 750 Kat back in June for $2K. Kats are nice bikes for cruising/commuting. I got high 30s for gas mileage for mine. That was with a V&H full system, jetted, sprockets, and ignition advance. Only downside was the weight of the bike. Insurance is cheap because they are considered a sport tourer.
That one looks like it was abused. Just a quick glance looks like the lower chin fairing is missing, case cover looks ground down, reset for the trip meter is gone, and the passenger grab bar is missing. Plus what has been stated about the fairings/tank. $1500 looks a bit steep to me.

The SVs are nice, but hard to find one in the price range you have. Best bet would be to look on cycletrader.com for your area. Probably find more Kats, or CBRs in better condition.

Jtemple
10-15-2005, 19:18
I vote for the SV650. Mine gets 50 mpg. I bought a new one a couple months ago; I couldn't find one used. It seems like everyone is hanging onto them.

Cochese
10-16-2005, 11:44
Heh..

I've decided that I don't need that $1500 Kat.
I've decided I need a SV650! I'd like to find a decent 1999. The search is on!

50 mpg=;f

epsylum
10-16-2005, 12:50
Heh..

I've decided that I don't need that $1500 Kat.
I've decided I need a SV650! I'd like to find a decent 1999. The search is on!

50 mpg=;f

A wise decision my friend.

Cochese
10-16-2005, 13:23
A wise decision my friend.

Sometimes a wiseass like myself needs to just be wise ;)

I need to find someone to buy my truck for 1200 under book value and I can buy one cash...

FYI, I found two 'busas for $3500 and $3000!

They are on Cycletrader.com if anyone is interested. I think they are 1999 and 2000.

Jtemple
10-16-2005, 13:31
I love my SV! You won't be disappointed. It's fast enough to scare you, but not fast enough that you can lose control real easily. I think you have to really try hard to get the front wheel off the ground. I haven't managed to yet; although I'm not trying to.

fnfalman
10-17-2005, 09:07
I know a few guys who are on the holy quest to find the older SVs with carburators and with air cooling so that they don't have to fool around with changing out antifreeze coolant for waterwetter when they take it to the track.

epsylum
10-17-2005, 17:21
I know a few guys who are on the holy quest to find the older SVs with carburators and with air cooling so that they don't have to fool around with changing out antifreeze coolant for waterwetter when they take it to the track.

I am 99.9999% sure the original SVs were water cooled. The main difference in the older and new ones are the carbs/FI and the chassis.

gixxer11
10-18-2005, 14:57
Originally posted by Jtemple
I love my SV! You won't be disappointed. It's fast enough to scare you, but not fast enough that you can lose control real easily. I think you have to really try hard to get the front wheel off the ground. I haven't managed to yet; although I'm not trying to.

Ohhhhhh, it'll do it. TRUST ME!;)

Jtemple
10-18-2005, 21:18
I am 99.9999% sure the original SVs were water cooled. The main difference in the older and new ones are the carbs/FI and the chassis. I don't think the older ones had an oil cooler either. Other, smaller differences are the plastics and gauge cluster changes.

Cochese
10-18-2005, 21:27
What is the Kawasaki version of the SV650 called? I saw one today. Maybe a KV750 or something like that? The most beautiful shade of Electric/Fiji/Atlantic blue I've ever seen.

Stunning. I wish I had the $..

Cochese
10-18-2005, 21:39
Here it is..

the Z750S.

Drool**

http://www.totalmotorcycle.com/photos/2005models/2005-Kawasaki-Z750S.jpg

OMG, I really like this 650R..

What are the major differences between the two?

http://www.kawasaki.com/kawasaki_main/images/products/MOTORCYCLE/2437_1024.jpg

Fast Glass
10-18-2005, 22:31
I like the new Kawi too. Of course I still like the SV.
Looks like the major differance is the Kawi is an inline 4 where the SV is a twin. Don't know how good it will do against the SV since it is $1000 more, almost 100# heavier.

fnfalman
10-19-2005, 09:22
The Kawasaki version of the SV650 would be the new 2006 Ninja 650. This thing is known in Europe as ER-6N. I like the European naked version much better than the faired over Ninja 650. This thing has a parallel twin with a very pretty frame design. Very clean engine compartment setup. I can't believe that they'd hide all that stuff under a stupid fairing.