I'm starting today [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : I'm starting today


bunch_G17
10-13-2005, 07:58
erased

bunch_G17
10-13-2005, 08:04
So I guess you can see that my problem is my stomach. The diet changes today also.

ryucasta
10-13-2005, 08:54
Wish you success in your new endeavor.

YukonGlocker
10-13-2005, 09:12
Good luck!! Be patient!!

bunch_G17
10-13-2005, 11:51
I figured that I better get into my routine I had a few years ago and up the meal count. This will take some planning and some suggestions from you guys. I plan on eating 6 meals a day from 5am to 9pm beginning Monday. I have a Wal-Mart super center and Costco within mile from my house in Lewisville which should help with getting food.

Does anyone on this forum eat this much?

I plan on using whey protein also. Probably Optimum Nutrition but was wondering about Muscle Milk. The GNC in downtown Dallas has 2 pounds for $42, that is ridiculous. I guess I need some suggestions on online stores that have great deals on protein.

45acp4me
10-13-2005, 13:41
www.dpsnutrition.com

If you are looking to suppliment protein without lots of calories, this is the one you want.

http://www.dpsnutrition.net/product_information.asp?number=CT046&back=yes&dept=1034&last=1034

Seeing that your goal is to drop weight, I'd skip the suppliments for a while. Aerobic exercise is the most important thing at this point. You don't start to really burn fat until you are working out at 70% to 80% of your max heart rate for at least 20 minutes. A 45 minute cardio workout three to four times a week + calorie cutting will do wonders. You can google up calculators to figure out the best caloric intake for safe weightloss for a person your size. I would imagine that 1,800 to 2,000 calories plus a 45 minute cardio session will get you seeing results within a couple weeks.

Check out these two sites to figure out your workout range:

http://www.brianmac.demon.co.uk/maxhr.htm

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/moser9.htm

Once you drop the fat and want to add muscle, it will be time to up your calorie intake and suppliment protien. Just stick to getting protein from lean meats for now, fish and chicken will do just fine.

Try mixing it up between the stair climber, tread mill and elliptical machine to fight getting bored. If you have access to a racquetball court and know anyone that wants to play, it will burn more calories and be a lot more fun than any machine you can find in the gym.

Good luck and keep us posted on your results!

John McClain
10-13-2005, 15:12
Originally posted by 45acp4me
www.dpsnutrition.com

If you are looking to suppliment protein without lots of calories, this is the one you want.

http://www.dpsnutrition.net/product_information.asp?number=CT046&back=yes&dept=1034&last=1034

Seeing that your goal is to drop weight, I'd skip the suppliments for a while. Aerobic exercise is the most important thing at this point. You don't start to really burn fat until you are working out at 70% to 80% of your max heart rate for at least 20 minutes. A 45 minute cardio workout three to four times a week + calorie cutting will do wonders. You can google up calculators to figure out the best caloric intake for safe weightloss for a person your size. I would imagine that 1,800 to 2,000 calories plus a 45 minute cardio session will get you seeing results within a couple weeks.

Check out these two sites to figure out your workout range:

http://www.brianmac.demon.co.uk/maxhr.htm

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/moser9.htm

Once you drop the fat and want to add muscle, it will be time to up your calorie intake and suppliment protien. Just stick to getting protein from lean meats for now, fish and chicken will do just fine.

Try mixing it up between the stair climber, tread mill and elliptical machine to fight getting bored. If you have access to a racquetball court and know anyone that wants to play, it will burn more calories and be a lot more fun than any machine you can find in the gym.

Good luck and keep us posted on your results!
why would he wait to gain muscle? That makes no sense at all, and all that cardio is helpfull, but a good weight training routine would be by far better.

If I were you, I'd do something along the lines of this.

Weight train 3 days a week. You could do 5 days, but I dunno about your enthusiasm. Be sure to do the big 3, squat, deadlift, and bench. The ARE important in burning fat/calories. You'll burn more calories doing 4 sets of 12 squats with some decent weight then you will in 45 minutes of cardio. Not to mention, these exercises use more muscle groups at one time forcing your body to produce more testosterone. In sort, you'll burn calories, build muscle and end up with a body type that will burn more calories at rest. That would be the biggest reason to start weight training.

Some cardio. Try 20-30 minutes (30 would be better) 2 - 3days a week on a stairmaster or something. You could do it on your weight training days off or on the same days after your workout, do not do it before. Any more, and you'll get burned out unless you're really crazy about doing it and lets face it.. you wouldn't have that gut if you were. no offense, just honesty.

diet, I wouldn't go on a fad diet, IE no fat, or all fat and no carbs. Try to avoid over processed carbs try to get whole grains. Avoid very fatty things and just cut meals short. And like you mentioned eat more meals, but that can get really annoying.

The biggest thing to remember, a 6 pack is made in the kitchen.

California Jack
10-13-2005, 16:27
Good luck, you can do it. We're here to help and support.

45acp4me
10-13-2005, 17:51
Originally posted by John McClain
why would he wait to gain muscle? That makes no sense at all, and all that cardio is helpfull, but a good weight training routine would be by far better.

If I were you, I'd do something along the lines of this.

Weight train 3 days a week. You could do 5 days, but I dunno about your enthusiasm. Be sure to do the big 3, squat, deadlift, and bench. The ARE important in burning fat/calories. You'll burn more calories doing 4 sets of 12 squats with some decent weight then you will in 45 minutes of cardio. Not to mention, these exercises use more muscle groups at one time forcing your body to produce more testosterone. In sort, you'll burn calories, build muscle and end up with a body type that will burn more calories at rest. That would be the biggest reason to start weight training.



Everyone has a different metabolism, but I could barely add any muscle at all when I was playing racquetball twice a week for 1.5 to 2 hours at a time. I would wait a day, lift a ton, eat a ton and not make any noticeable gains at all. I did however gain some strength though.

A few months ago I started getting lower back/hip issues so my racquetball days were done for quite a while. With only doing one good cardio workout a week and eating lots, I started adding mass much faster than I did before. I put on more muscle in three months than I did in the year before that.

Cardio burns both fat and muscle, it's hard to really make gains at both at the same time. Of course you mileage may vary.

heat762
10-13-2005, 19:35
2 Weeks ago I was 245....granted I'm 6'1'.
When I graduated Marine Corp Boot camp I was 185, and most of my military career I was 210. Basically I have gained 5 pounds every year since 1998.

I have had a Bowflex and or membership to a gym all this time. I lift weights regulary.

Not until I changed my diet did I start to loose weight. I actually started following the Bowflex diet that is in their training manual.

It is a Low Calorie, High Carbohydrate, Low Fat, Low Protein Diet.

You get 1500 Calories Starting out, and stairstep down to 1300.

Breakfast 300 calories - Weight Control Oatmeal - Orange juice - glass of milk

9:30 snack 100 calories - Fat Free Yogurt

11:00 Lunch - 300 calories 1 sandwich - whole wheat bread, fat free cheese, 7 slices of turkey, some mustard

3:00 snack 100 calories - banana

dinner - 500 calories steak, veggies, 2 slices bread, milk

snack - 200 calories - frozen yogurt

You eat all the time, the first 3 days were Hell, but no I have sooooo!!!! much more energy and the weight is melting off.

11 pounds in 11 days

Exercise is a must - run 30 minutes a day no matter how slow.

31 Years old and feeling great!!!!!!!!!!!

You can do it to!

bunch_G17
10-13-2005, 19:55
heat762

Thanks for the schedule of meals and thank you for serving in the military.;?

heat762
10-14-2005, 09:30
Originally posted by bunch_G17
heat762

Thanks for the schedule of meals and thank you for serving in the military.;?

No Problemo!!!

I woke up this morning 13 pounds lighter than last 11 Days ago.

If you are interested in the diet, I will attach here. It has a shopping list and everything!!!!!! Just stick to the overall theme and the calorie count and it will work.

DO whatever you can for the workout. Good Luck!

heat762
10-14-2005, 09:43
1/2 cup of Egg Beaters, 2 ounces of chopped or slcied turkey, 1 slice of fat free cheese.
Scramble it all up.

2 slices of Smart Bacon

Juice of your choice.

Holds me over good till my 10AM Fat Free Blueberry Yogurt....Yum!

If you are married, and the wife or you has a crockpot, my wife found some good low calorie/low fat recipes that rock. I could post those as well.

heat762
11-23-2005, 13:21
How's the diet going?

Mine is good.

31 pounds lighter. Just in time for Turkey!!!!

bunch_G17
11-24-2005, 19:24
Oct. 17 - 292.8

This morning 265.2 11/23/05


6 meals a day a cardio 3 times a week


about 27 pounds lost

DBradD
11-25-2005, 20:04
Good job dude!

Focus on counting calories and you can't fail at losing fat. I'm down 18 lb, one double chin, and two belt loops in a few weeks. Counting calories (and therefore not accidentally eating more than I think) is all I've changed. Before, I was doing cardio but nothing was happening.

DBD

seamus
11-26-2005, 15:17
Swimming is a great low impact cardio exercise that will help you burn a lot of calories w/o all the impact issues of running. It's a good thing to mix in different kinds of exercise so you don't get burned out.
Good luck!

45acp4me
11-26-2005, 16:56
Great job bunch_G17, just get past the holidays and you will be home free!

rookieshooter43
11-26-2005, 17:29
If you don't enjoy the fat free yogurts (or whatever else you eat for a snack, you could try a low calorie proteirn bar. That always helps me. I think it tricks my brain into thinking I am more full since I am eating something solid.

A place that I get them is the DPS website previously posted.

Good luck and keep up the hard work.

DonCT
11-26-2005, 20:50
I have dropped 34 pounds in the last five months, from 200 to 166 (I'm about 5'8)and all my pants are baggy. Now for the bonus. Keep all of your "before" pants and get some sweet IWB holsters. Yet another reason to get healthy.;f

DonCT
11-26-2005, 20:54
Originally posted by rookieshooter43
If you don't enjoy the fat free yogurts (or whatever else you eat for a snack, you could try a low calorie proteirn bar. That always helps me. I think it tricks my brain into thinking I am more full since I am eating something solid.

A place that I get them is the DPS website previously posted.

Good luck and keep up the hard work.

The Nature Valley crunchy bars are pretty good and the variety packs are relatively inexpensive at the supermarket. Also, I find the Slim Fast shakes (chococlate and coffee flavored, not vanilla) are pretty good as are their Chocolate chip cookie dough meal replacement bars.

BLS439
12-03-2005, 00:24
Not to get you away from this forum, but there is another out there that is really great. check out www.johnstonefitness.com

it has a lot of great infomration on the site and some additionally knowledgable dietitions/nutritionalists lurking about it.

Other than that, good luck on your endeavor and stay motivated!

--BLS439

bunch_G17
12-17-2005, 11:01
256.2 12/17/05

36 pounds lost with several cheat meals thoughout the last 10 weeks and I stopped working out due to a second job.

;+

fit4christfit4life
12-18-2005, 03:57
That is awesome man. Keep it up. I was inspired to do the same thing and have someone to keep me accountable. I am starting tonight and made a thread. I will post pictures and stuff tomorrow after shift.

Matt

kestrou
12-19-2005, 21:17
Originally posted by bunch_G17
I stopped working out due to a second job.

This scares me man - sure you can't squeeze in 30 minutes?

It's part of what got you here, so don't toss it aside too quickly...

kestrou

ray9898
12-23-2005, 05:55
Hey...good work. I am about to crank up after the holidays. I know heat762 is doing the Bowflex recommended diet...what are you doing?

bunch_G17
12-23-2005, 10:05
Physical activity includes working two jobs and I still might go out and ride my bike at work. As a supervisor I have found my self stuck in the office a lot more lately.

Diet - eat every 3 hours and try to stick around 2000 calories a day.

helpful link- http://www.menshealth.com/cda/tools.do?tid=calorie.counting

ParaBear
12-31-2005, 17:38
Bunch, good job on the weight loss, but you just have to keep the PT up! I am a Patrol Sgt. who has to work 12hr shifts, four to six times a week, depending. I know how hard it is to stay motivated to work out every day. When I was a Infantry Paratrooper, my job WAS a workout. I could not eat enough! But in police work I was stuck in a car, office, or court so the trim athletic look morphed toward 'powerlifter';f . I still lifted and hiked three times a week but it was not enough. Running, which I hadn't done seriously in ten years, was the answer. I run four to five miles every other day and walk the dogs in between, with weights AND calisthenics five to six days a week. The up side to this is that I can see my abs again:) and almost, almost now, eat whatever I want;) . Good luck!

bunch_G17
01-05-2006, 12:36
This last week was great I ate everything in sight. One night I wa eating sushi with my wife and after dinner we went to a another bar and we cleaned up on chips and queso THEN went marble slab for ice cream. I probably ate 7000 calories that day.

I'm back up to 260 but really i am right back on track. I'm finished with the second job and plan to start the 45 min cardio sessions again.

DBradD
01-05-2006, 13:29
Originally posted by bunch_G17
This last week was great I ate everything in sight. One night I wa eating sushi with my wife and after dinner we went to a another bar and we cleaned up on chips and queso THEN went marble slab for ice cream. I probably ate 7000 calories that day.

I'm back up to 260 but really i am right back on track. I'm finished with the second job and plan to start the 45 min cardio sessions again.

There's something strange with the psychology here. Why the need to pig out for a week? A meal or two here or there doesn't seem strange. I don't know your whole plan or story.

DBD

bunch_G17
01-06-2006, 17:54
Originally posted by DBradD
There's something strange with the psychology here. Why the need to pig out for a week? A meal or two here or there doesn't seem strange. I don't know your whole plan or story.

DBD

New Years weekend I had 4 days off. If I wanted Taco Bell, I ate it. Pizza or wings didn't really bother me. I just enjoyed running around on my little vacation. It only took me 4 days to get back to were I started. I am fine now and going to the gym right now for cardio. A cheat meal or two is fine and a cheat weekend is great if you have the will power to get back on track.

bunch_G17
01-06-2006, 18:06
Before and After (well this week at least)

Don't laugh at the match patterns on my shirts, Gap had a sell and I bought the same shirt in several different colors ;g
That's about 290 and the after is 260

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y131/bunchjonathan/beforeafter1.gif

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y131/bunchjonathan/beforeafter2.jpg

DBradD
01-06-2006, 18:12
Originally posted by bunch_G17
Before and After (well this week at least)





http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y131/bunchjonathan/beforeafter1.gif

WOW!!! Awesome dude!

DBD

DBradD
01-06-2006, 18:18
Originally posted by bunch_G17
New Years weekend I had 4 days off. If I wanted Taco Bell, I ate it. Pizza or wings didn't really bother me. I just enjoyed running around on my little vacation. It only took me 4 days to get back to were I started. I am fine now and going to the gym right now for cardio. A cheat meal or two is fine and a cheat weekend is great if you have the will power to get back on track.

Agreed. It's a drop in the bucket with the incredible success you're having.

The initial post got my attention because it sounded like an ultrabinge that lasted a whole week.

DBD

Eagle78101
01-07-2006, 19:20
G17,

You are an inspiration. Please continue to share your stories!;?

bunch_G17
01-13-2006, 18:56
1/13/05 253.6
started back in October at 292.8
it feels good

It is really hard and I am getting fed up with certain parts. I am getting used to the lower calories. Overall I am feeling good. I gotta get back to the gym. -.8 pounds to hit the 40 lb mark!!

I average about 2 gallons of water a day also

DBradD
01-13-2006, 19:15
Originally posted by bunch_G17
...It is really hard and I am getting fed up with certain parts. ...

It's Friday the 13th combined with an almost full moon (full tomorrow)! My wife and I both are feeling a bit down on our plan today. Gotta hang in there. She's on the stairmaster now. I'm gonna do it after she finishes - we need a little victory to finish off the otherwise sorry day.

My wife and I are down 24 and 28 lbs (your 40 lbs, wow!) respectively, since about the first of November. It is a great feeling. Yesterday, I comfortably wore 33 jeans for the first time since half a life ago when I was 17. Dropped 3 belt loops and about 3 waist sizes.

Great job dude! I have no doubt that your story is inspiring others to get going the right direction.

DBD

California Jack
01-14-2006, 13:33
Yeah, I agree, great job bunch-17.

Also great job to you and your wife DBD!

DBradD
01-14-2006, 16:43
Originally posted by California Jack
Yeah, I agree, great job bunch-17.

Also great job to you and your wife DBD!

Thank you very much!

DBD

bunch_G17
01-18-2006, 13:55
I forgot to post ...............Sat. morning 249!!! 43.8 pounds lost!
Almost a 4 lb loss in 1 day. Probably all water weight and well you know...

I got pretty sick on Sunday and ended up with a resp. infection. I have gained a few lbs. since Sat. but that steroid shot the doc gave me yesterday has me feeling pretty good. I should be alright.

Eagle78101
01-18-2006, 17:33
Originally posted by bunch_G17
I forgot to post ...............Sat. morning 249!!! 43.8 pounds lost!
Almost a 4 lb loss in 1 day. Probably all water weight and well you know...

I got pretty sick on Sunday and ended up with a resp. infection. I have gained a few lbs. since Sat. but that steroid shot the doc gave me yesterday has me feeling pretty good. I should be alright.

Congratulations! I had a weak day: fried chicken, cookies, three cokes...darn it.

bunch_G17
01-31-2006, 07:39
I have had a really hard time since I got sick. I am back up to about 258 and frustrated. I went to the gym last week but this weekend I just ate whatever and drank quite a few beers. Kolaches, pizza, wings, and Bud Light are gooooood

I am so sick of drinking 2 gallons of water a day and counting every calorie. I suffered from burn out and have not been 100% committed for about 2-3 weeks. (My wife and I went to On the Border last night mmmmmm fajitas and queso). But that crap has got to stop.

My cheat meal once a week turned into a cheat day and then my attitude was eat whatever from Friday after work until monday morning.....oh well the whole weekend was a vacation.
















But enough with the complaining and excuses. I am ready to knock this thing out. 240lbs seems like my next goal. Maybe I can make it in 8 weeks. April 1st seems good. I will keep you guys posted.


I just saw that stupid jenny craig commerical with that Fat Actress lady and really got mad. It is a lot harder than just paying someone to tell you that you are fat. This discipline is hard. I have come a long way and feel like its not over yet.

Eagle78101
01-31-2006, 17:03
Originally posted by bunch_G17
I have had a really hard time since I got sick. I am back up to about 258 and frustrated. I went to the gym last week but this weekend I just ate whatever and drank quite a few beers. Kolaches, pizza, wings, and Bud Light are gooooood

I am so sick of drinking 2 gallons of water a day and counting every calorie. I suffered from burn out and have not been 100% committed for about 2-3 weeks. (My wife and I went to On the Border last night mmmmmm fajitas and queso). But that crap has got to stop.

My cheat meal once a week turned into a cheat day and then my attitude was eat whatever from Friday after work until monday morning.....oh well the whole weekend was a vacation.

Yeah, I'm slipping too. More sodas than usual and today I ate like a Cossack. It's hard and I'm tired of it. ^2

45acp4me
01-31-2006, 17:21
Originally posted by Eagle78101
Yeah, I'm slipping too. More sodas than usual and today I ate like a Cossack. It's hard and I'm tired of it. ^2

Green tea with a pinch of Splenda is your friend!

Eagle78101
01-31-2006, 17:25
This sounds interesting. I think I'll try the green teas at Starbucks and see if that works. Thank you for the suggestion.

California Jack
02-01-2006, 16:05
This is my opinion and it is effective for me, ymmv. When I lost the weight I needed to loose, I took cheat days not just cheat meals. But after about 3 months of my diet I took a whole cheat week, eating-wise that is. I needed it, and it didn't hurt because I was disciplined enough to go back to dieting after that week. Anyhow, provided you fellas are still motivated, I don't think you've hurt your diet. Now, get back after it.

Excuse me, I'm going out to the garage to throw the weights around now. Some snatches followed by jerks, front squats and if I feel like, a couple sets of bent over rows. It'll be fun.

Jack

DBradD
02-01-2006, 16:56
Originally posted by Eagle78101
This sounds interesting. I think I'll try the green teas at Starbucks and see if that works. Thank you for the suggestion.

If Starbucks serves instant tea, then you might be better served trying tea from somewhere else. I get my tea from adagio and like it much better than instant stuff. They have a wide variety of green teas. My personal favorite is the citron green. If you're new to tea, expect to try several different varieties, hate most of them, and settle on one or two that you actually like - at least that's what happened with me. Adagio has samplers that are about $2 each so you can try many different ones.

DBD

Eagle78101
02-01-2006, 17:08
Originally posted by California Jack
This is my opinion and it is effective for me, ymmv. When I lost the weight I needed to loose, I took cheat days not just cheat meals. But after about 3 months of my diet I took a whole cheat week, eating-wise that is. I needed it, and it didn't hurt because I was disciplined enough to go back to dieting after that week. Anyhow, provided you fellas are still motivated, I don't think you've hurt your diet. Now, get back after it.

Excuse me, I'm going out to the garage to throw the weights around now. Some snatches followed by jerks, front squats and if I feel like, a couple sets of bent over rows. It'll be fun.

Jack

I think you are being very wise. I think I just needed to take a breather from the self-denial and the endless water and so on. I'm back on track (well, I did have a small bag of cheetos) and I'm feeling okay. Thanks for the encouragement. It is indeed appreciated.

California Jack
02-01-2006, 17:56
I'm back on track (well, I did have a small bag of cheetos)

Don't you mean a small bag of Cheaters? Just kidding. Good luck and get back at!