2000 GMC Sierra question [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : 2000 GMC Sierra question

shadow_dog
10-15-2005, 17:37
My GMC acts like it is flooded or not getting enough gas when I try to start it. It takes 2 tries and then I have to give it the gas to smooth out because of rough idling. Dealer done an injector cleanup and TB butterfly cleanup about 10,000 miles ago. It got new plugs, wires, pcv, fuel filter and air filter 2 weeks ago. It was doing it periodically before the tune up but has got progressively worse. 72,000 miles on it. 5300 V-8 engine.

Any thoughts?

knightkrawler00
10-15-2005, 19:11
If it's blowing black smoke when it starts up, the fule pressure regulator diaphragm is ruptured, allowing fuel to get straight into the intake and flooding the engine. This was pretty common for a awhile on the 5.3's, but haven't seen it for awhile.

To check it, let it sit for awhile after running. There is a small vacuum line running the the regulator on the fuel rail on the driver's side of the intake about middle of the engine, front to back. The regulator is about 1.5" around and the vacuum line had a 90 degree bend on top of the regulator. Pull the line off and see if their is fuel in it, if not, try to smell for fuel there. If there is evedence of fuel, the regulator needs to be replaced. This can be done with a pair of snap ring pliers and a pick to get the parts out of the regulator body, it's fairly simple and should only take a few minutes. Hope this helps.

streeter69
10-16-2005, 12:52
Vortecs are known for injectors going bad, causing the same problems you are having:(

BigC3031
10-16-2005, 15:39
I've had more vortechs than fingers and not had an injector problem, but could just be lucky.

I would check your fuel filter, if it's really jammed up it can starve the engine and is cheap regular maint. anyway.

shadow_dog
10-19-2005, 02:21
It was the fuel pressure regulator. Thanks knightkrawler00 for the help. Thanks to all for the input.

knightkrawler00
10-19-2005, 09:52
Glad to be able to help.