Question for Paintballers [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Question for Paintballers

Dark_Knight7096
10-16-2005, 19:55
A while back I purchased a marker from a company that I didn't know of, that said their marker was compatible with all spyder parts. I had purchased spyder bolts, barrels, and other parts for it, until a week ago my ball detent just blew out the side of the gun. I went to have the ball dentent replaced and not a single ball detent that my dealer had in his store would fit. He tried every single thing he could think of, even taking the detents off display models and trying them in my marker. He then measured the hole and realized that the hole for my detent was actually larger than any other detent he has ever heard of. Planned obsolesance. So now I am rather leery of picking anything up unless it has a recognized manufacturers name on it. However, today, while trying to get my dentent fixed, I noticed a marker on the wall. A "Gameface Recon E5". This marker looks sweet. It looks like an M4 and it will accept any rail mount accesories that an M4 will. I read some reviews online and it got very good reviews from everyone who has written reviews on it. It says it's compatible with all spyder accesories and this is what has me worried. Has anyone had any experience with either Gameface or their Recon E5 marker? Is it really compatible with spyder internals or am I going to have this one for a few years and then never be able to use it again because some parts aren't available. If anyone could help me out I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks a lot everyone!

brock sampson
10-17-2005, 19:45
No experience with this particular marker but, I know that there are a ton of Spyder-type guns out there so the upgrades should be plentiful. But, as you've found, they are not always made to the exact specs of Kingman.

Gameface is a newer company but they are not unheard of in the least. I can't say much about this gun except that there are quite a few options in this price range. You may have already throughly searched and decided this is the one for you. I just wanted to make sure you're aware that several comparable guns are out there and worth a look if you're still undecided.

samhane
10-18-2005, 13:59
I haven't heard much about that company. I would personnally shy away from it not that its bad. But if you want something that will last more than a season or two and still can get parts for get something good not a $100-150 marker from walmart and such.

If you're going to spend the money than by all means spend the money. Going cheap doesn't help in the long run and this is not a cheap sport. Sure it might cost more now but in the long run it works out and helps on resale to fund a newer and better marker for when your skill goes up and you out shoot that marker.

My spyder clone was an Icon E and had absolutly no problems with interchangablity. I then moved up to a Smart Parts ION by far I think the best for your money only $250-300. I do recommend HPA not CO2 not just for the ION but for any marker.

I'm not a fan of the rails for accesories they're pretty useless for paintball it just adds weight and bulk the only purpose it serves is it looks cool (looking cool doesn't win games) what can you really put on of use anyway? Sights are useless because of how a marker shoots between distance, wind, drop off, and out of round paint you're better off just eyeing down the barrel its just if not more accurate than a site trust me I learned the hard way.

I'd spend my money on a decent marker, HPA, barrel or barrel kit, good hopper, and a good regulator. Thats all you really need for a good consistant, reliable accurate marker that will keep you in the game.

Check out this site for reviews I've found it extremly helpful and covers eveerything paintball:

www.pbreview.com

brock sampson
10-18-2005, 23:09
Gameface, owners of Detroit Strange, a division of Crossman airguns.

I agree that the better the gun the longer you will enjoy it. And HPA is always the way to go, but the tank setup will run you about what you're looking to spend on a new gun.

Like any other gun or marker, there are "upgrades" you can add that may do nothing for performance. But if they make the marker look or feel the way you like, go for it. It all depends on what you're looking to do with this new gun. Rec ball, scenarios, tournaments, or a mix. Guns like the Ion or A5 will cover your needs for most of these, but may not meet all the requirements you have for specific things. If you want a gun because it's cool looking, that's not a bad thing. Just know what you're getting first.

podwich
10-18-2005, 23:29
I don't know anything about the one you mention, but I can recommend the Tippmann 98 Custom. I've used that one-it's cheap, pretty accurate, and nearly unbreakable.

Dark_Knight7096
10-19-2005, 10:36
Thanks for all the help everyone, I think I'm going to go with a Tippmann A5 instead of the Recon E5, if i take off the front grip and add the adjustable stock it will give me a look that i'd like to have anyway, plus it's reliable and since it is a "brand name" I won't have any trouble getting parts or service for it.

samhane
10-19-2005, 15:08
If you are going for the A-5 check www.888paintball.com I think they have a few upgraded already for a decent price.

space_weazel
10-23-2005, 16:06
This was my A5 till i sold it. the mag i made my self out of an airsoft mag, and a billet of aluminium.
http://www.jayloo.com/photo_gallery/show_pic.html?pSHOW_ME=standard&pIMAGE_ID=6255&pGROUP_ID=40&pUID=&pSZ=1
I think you will be very happy with the A5 its a much better gun with a strong company behind it.