Technical Rope Rescue [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Technical Rope Rescue

aspartz
10-16-2005, 20:11
I just finished the low/high angle part of my NFPA 1670 Technician class(es)

Things I learned:
1) Sedentary middle aged males are not the best candidates for lots of hill climbing

2) People carry a grudge is they land a bit too had and in an unplanned way

3) Hanging inverted is not a good thing for gastric reflux

Seriously, it was a killer class. Not the same as initial attack interior work, but the same pucker factor going over the edge.

Anyone else take this? Experiences, stories? Advice? Now I have to get the city to come up with the gear to get our rescue team started.

ARS

oldstyle
10-17-2005, 20:08
No doubt about the pucker factor! Going over is a rush!

RESCUE31
10-20-2005, 20:44
I have just finished my rope rescue training, it was a blast! The training was broken up into 3 courses.

Rope I- high angle/low angle
Rope II- mechanical advantage
Rope III- high line

If I could give any advice it would be to start a rope log and use it religously.

RESCUE31
03-02-2006, 20:58
I just wanted to post some pics of my RopeIII class.

RESCUE31
03-02-2006, 21:00
another

RESCUE31
03-02-2006, 21:04
This is one of our small grass rigs and our technical rescue trailer.

Tvov
03-03-2006, 11:34
I haven't done any rope rescue classes, but a bunch of guys in my dept have. We have done some rope rescue at drills, mostly to get the guys who haven't taken classes familiar with some of the basics (this is not to "certify" anyone, just to know what to do to help out the guys who are certified).

One thing that inevitably comes up during a rope drill, is making sure that the full body harness is adjusted correctly, especially the straps that go under the crotch. OUCH! ;)

D25
03-03-2006, 23:56
I had my first real high angle rescue call last month. An approximately 145 kilo trauma entry patient is a good way to find flaws in your training.;P

On a side note, is there such a thing as an XL stokes basket? Anyone have any ideas about how to improvise such a device?

inspector1
03-07-2006, 09:49
tie your own knots,

if you cant tie a knot, tie a lot (wrong)

double check everything (twice)

high angle is a true rush. (pick offs at 50 feet just cant be beat)

the prussic just my be your best friend.

ken