My son just got his Yellow Belt (TKD) [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : My son just got his Yellow Belt (TKD)

Chad Landry
10-17-2005, 08:49
I studied TKD for a little while, many years ago, and decided it wasn't for me (too many rank = $$ promotions).

But my 6-year-old son expressed an interest in it, so I enrolled him a couple months ago. His behavior has improved tremendously (and he was a good kid before).

He tested for his first promotion last week, and broke his first board. I can see the improvements in his strikes and kicks week by week.

I'd like to teach him Aikido eventually, but he's too young and aggressive right now. TKD looks like it's good for him, and a kid's attention is easier to keep when he's learning flashy kicks and strikes.

I hung a heavy bag for him yesterday, and he's been getting his workout on it.

It's well worth it to my wife and I.

FortyCaliber
10-17-2005, 23:18
Hey, congratulations to your son and to his proud father!

My son also trains. It is always very cool to watch the little guys test and break boards, but their first time is the coolest!

Roundeyesamurai
10-18-2005, 01:14
Cool, CJ.

Let him reach adulthood and have experience under his belt before he gets into aikido. One really can't grasp it entirely without experience and maturity.

Chad Landry
10-18-2005, 08:58
I hope he continues to enjoy this as much as he does now. I'd like to see him rank in TKD before considering any other arts. I'd love to find a Judo dojo in the area, but for now he gets off on that Power Rangers looking stuff. ;)

habu3
10-18-2005, 20:10
It is always wonderful to see your child achieve something like this. I am sure you will have many more joyful experiences as your son progresses. My son and I both train in Goju and it has been amazing to watch my son as he has grown and matured. He is now a brown belt and it is a joy to watch him help the younger students. I hope your son continues to enjoy the experience of learning martial arts.

brock sampson
10-18-2005, 23:25
It seems like you have given him the beginnings of a great foundation. The Power Rangers stuff is ok, at a young age anyways, maybe better in the sense that he's "into" it like you said. I started with a similar approach. As a little guy I thought it would be fun, and my folks wanted to keep me active, not to mention the other benefits!
Congrats to you both. I'm sure the support at home will only help his development progress.