Who's into racing sims? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Who's into racing sims?

funbob
10-22-2005, 16:25
I'm not talking about Need for Speed and other such arcade games (though I do play a lot of NFSU2), but detailed racing sims. Lately, I've come back to Grand Prix Legends. After 7 years, it is still an amazing sim and with with the GPL 2004 mod and updated tracks it still looks great. I remember trying to play this game on a 350mhz machine with 128MB of RAM and a Voodoo3 video card and barely mantaining an acceptable frame rate. Now I can play at 1280x1024 with 16xAA and AF and it looks gorgeous and stays pegged at 36FPS (the max allowed by the game due to the physics model).

I also recently came across a copy of NASCAR Heat at my local EB and have patched that up to all the enhancements that have been created for it over the years and it's amazing how well this game has held up over the years. It's my favorite NASCAR game right after NR2003.

Sports Car GT is also a classic and I still take that for a spin sometimes. It really marked the rise of ISI as a developer in this genre, which later did the EA F1 games and and has recently released the unique rFactor, which I have yet to try. GTR is also based on ISI's technology.

But enough about the classics, the modern games that have been receiving the most play time are Live for Speed and GTR. LFS is the best online racer to come along in quite some time and GTR is the new GPL of racing sims in my opinion. The sound alone in GTR makes it worth buying. With some good surround speakers cranked up, screaming off a corner listening to the engine and the piercing diff whine with the wheel turning to slop in your hands as the car explores the limits of traction is about as good as it gets.

F1C with the 2004 season mod is also a favorite as is NASCAR Racing 2003, which is still the gold standard of NASCAR sims (RIP Papyrus). I tried the NASCAR SimRacing demo from EA and prompty unistalled that hunk of crap. The cars bounced around around like old cadillacs on rusty springs, the car textures looked awful and the whole mess ran like a turd on my pretty powerful gaming machine. It's a shame the EA now has exclusive rights to the license as they seem to be taking the game in a mass market direction and not really interested in updating the core game engine.

I control all of this with a Logitech Driving Force Pro wheel. While officially a Playstation 2 product and marketed as such, it works prefectly on the PC (with the current 4.60 drivers) and is the best wheel that can be had without plunking down hundreds of dollars on the really high end stuff. It's main feature is its adjustable range of travel, which can be set anywhere between 40 to 900 degrees of rotation and the force feedback effects are superb as is overall build quality.

I also have an older Logitech Forumla Force wheel which is still an excellent wheel and is widely regarded as having the smoothest FFB effects of any wheel ever made due to its unique cable drive system. I don't use the wheel much anymore, but I keep it plugged in and assign one of its pedals as a clutch axis for even more control and realism.

So, what are the other sim racing nuts playing and who wants to get together for some online racing?

One Ragged Hole
10-28-2005, 09:19
I play World Circuit II, an old F1 game. It was used by Villinuve to learn the tracks his first year, the year he won the championship. I'd love to find the one with the older cars, Lotus and the other "Cigar" cars.
O-R-H

funbob
10-28-2005, 14:23
Originally posted by One Ragged Hole
I play World Circuit II, an old F1 game. It was used by Villinuve to learn the tracks his first year, the year he won the championship. I'd love to find the one with the older cars, Lotus and the other "Cigar" cars.
O-R-H

Grand Prix Legends

http://www.bhmotorsports.com/download/6447

http://home.comcast.net/~bobthemtnbiker/gpl1.jpg

David N.
10-28-2005, 14:51
I bought SCGT, GPL, and some one of the NFS's (can't even remember which) off ebay a few years ago. I never really got into GPL, because I was more interested in SCGT at the time. I played SCGT quite a bit and enjoyed the game, but it still doesn't feel just right. I always thought I could throw the car around too much and get away with too many mistakes. Plus I like more realistic damage. I may try GPL again sometime, though. I wanted to when it first came out, but my computer was too slow.

The one I've played the most by far is NR2003. EA can't come close. For some reason I never could drive the setups that were loose enough to be fast on most of the tracks. I was fine on the plate tracks, and decent on road courses, though. But what I really like is the tptcc add-on and the GT and touring mods for it along with all the road courses I could download. Oddly enough, in those cars I like really loose setups. I don't know how much time I've spent driving around the Nurburgring, occasionally even completing a lap. ;g ;f

The only real wheel I've ever had is the Logitech Momo Force wheel. It only has 270 degrees of rotation, but I like a quick ratio, so about the only time I hit the limits is somewhere like Monaco.

I've heard about rFactor and GTR, but I haven't tried either and don't know when or if I will. And since I'm on dialup, online races are kind of hard to do.

NMGlocker
11-08-2005, 14:16
GPL still rocks.
I love the Ferrari, it's a wild drive.
On the XBox, Forza is excellent.

Bikewer
11-14-2005, 20:27
After several years of flogging my way around innumerable tracks and investing in a MOMO FF Wheel, I finally decided that I suck.... Hehe, maybe I'm just too old and creaky, but with GPL I could never do better than "benchmark" times on any of the courses, and couldn't even approach those times on the Ring...
I got the demo for GTR, and it was the most realistic thing I've ever seen. Absolutely superb. I could not come within 15 seconds of the "fast" laps others were turning.
Hehe- I could hardly beat the AI on the easiest setting.

For me-it's back to military sims; that I can do.

pitbull1
11-30-2005, 03:10
pgr3 ... and forza for me, i cant wait for forza on 360:drool: :drool:

Unbridled Rage
12-04-2005, 16:52
I have spend Everquest-league time playing Need for Speed: Porche Unleashed, over the years.

Really the best NFS to date, physically speaking. Graceful, flowing tracks. Fun to make a Porsche (with its unique handling traits) walk and talk. Makes me want to pick one up.

Anthony k
11-23-2006, 06:19
p;