chatterboxes? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : chatterboxes?

MStarmer
10-25-2005, 12:45
Any opinions good or bad appreciated. Seems to be mixed feelings about the quality and just curious if people here have any first hand experience. I'm looking for a pair for me and the wife (each have our own bike so I'm not interested in tandem).

Thanks,

fnfalman
10-27-2005, 09:11
I don't have them but a lot of people seem to like them just for communication purposes.

MikeG22
10-27-2005, 11:49
I have one. Get an X1 rather than the slightly less expensive X2's. Better range and clarity. I enjoy them when riding with others. It is really nice to be able to say you want to pull off and get gas or take a different turn or that you see a cop or whatever. I think it makes the rides more enjoyable when you have a chance to talk to whomever you are riding with.

That said, it can sometimes be hard to hear depending on how fast you are going. You likely won't be carrying on long conversations with it when you are on seprate bikes but they are nice to have. You can use the remote button that you can strap to the bars or you can push a button on the unit itself to activate. That works much better than trying to deal with the VOX (voice activated transmission). If you are riding 2-up and are both plugged into the same one the quality of the voice is much better and you can talk if you want to much easier using the intercom mode.

Also, you can listen to music thru it. I used to pipe my mp3 player thru the chatterbox. All you need is a cord with the male connector on both sides. Worked out nicely.

Oh, and to buy them don't go to a normal bike shop. I got mine online from a seller/ebay store where that was all he sold. Saved like 100 bucks on my brand new on from them. They were a full reseller so you still got the factory warentee and everything.

MStarmer
10-27-2005, 12:26
MikeG22,

Have the name of that Seller?

fnfalman
10-27-2005, 15:56
http://www.solomotoparts.com/catalog/

These online guys give really decent prices on everything to include Chatterboxes. Call and talk to Daniel - he's the owner and tell him that HT sends you.

groverglock
12-02-2005, 05:42
I bought the Chatterbox intercom with the VOX headsets.

The thing would not operate on the road. Background noise was too loud and there was not enough adjustment on the sensitivity.

Rode down to Cerritos to Chatterbox. The first thing the tech does is remove the foam rubber covering the mike. Every thing works. Put the thing back together and head home. With the foam covering the mike, you have to yell to get the VOX to open.

Sent it back for a refund.

I can yell over my shoulder for free.

Don't waste your time and money on Chatterbox.

kshuart
12-02-2005, 13:50
I had the HJC-90's a number of years ago. Started off with one when the wife was riding on the back and it worked fine. She ended up getting her own bike so we bought another one and had nothing but troubles with them. Multiple trips back to Chatterbox and they still didn't work right. I ended up getting rid of them and buying Autocom systems. BIG money, but they work perfectly at just about any speed or condition including over 100 MPH.

They even have a 1/2 off sale going on right now if you are interested. www.autocomamerica.com

groverglock
12-02-2005, 17:42
I have heard good things about Autocom.

Let's hear from some people who have used Autocom with 1/2 helmets.

MStarmer
12-02-2005, 22:15
Well I bought (2) FRS-x2's about a week ago, I'll report back on how they work. I don't expect miracles but there isn't alot out there to choose from. FYI I paid a little under $400 for the pair from a authorized seller and am getting the free handhelds as well.

Kahrma
12-08-2005, 09:23
I bought a second-hand Chatterbox FRS X2 a couple years ago. I don't think I would pay retail for one.

Bike to bike, I'm not impressed. Get over about 45mph and I have a tough time hearing what the "other guy" is saying. The VOX feature - as mentioned by others above - is not very useful. Very difficult to get it set sensitive enough to pick up your voice without getting tripped by wind noise. I don't like to use the PTT button on the unit as this takes my hand off of the bars. The accessory PTT button adds one more wire to place/keep track of. Most of the things I need to communicate on a ride can be communicated by hand signals or can wait for a stoplight.

Being able to pipe music through the Chatterbox is nice, but if you want music there are many easier and inexpensive ways to go about it.

The feature I like best is the full-duplex intercom. Makes two-up riding much more enjoyable. The intercom system allows clear communication even at highway speeds (much better sound than bike-to-bike). After riding two-up with the intercom, neither you nor your riding partner will likely want to ride without one.