Looking at cruisers. [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Looking at cruisers.

xring04
10-27-2005, 09:17
I am hunting for a cruiser. I had a few sport bikes in my past, but now I want a cruiser.

I know that I want a jap bike (no harley) I like the proce of the jap bikes.

I think I will get a much better deal if I look at the used bikes. (probably even better in the winter).

I am a big boy, 6'1 280lbs so I need a good size bike.

I am considering the honda vtx 1300,

The yamaha 1100

Even a suzuki 800.

I know I want a bigger bike, but I dont need the most poweful thing on the road.

So what do you guys think. What would you get your nods!

TimP
10-27-2005, 09:55
That Yamaha warrior is a good lookin bike. 1670cc, so its a big bike, but even the 1100 is still fast enough. Personally I wouldnt want to go any smaller than 1000-1100cc on a big heavy cruiser.

I shared with FnFalMan last week that I am without a bike now. I sold my 600R back to the guy I bought it from, so I too, and looking for a new bike.

I think I have decided on newer model FZ1. Should be a nice step up in power from the 600, and more comfy to ride 4-5 hrs at a time

VWglocker
10-27-2005, 10:36
timP

thats what i'm looking at as well. if you get one, i expect a full, detailed report asap. :)

i have almost decided to get a new 05 instead of the 06. i like the idea of fuel injection, but i don't like buying something like that the first year it comes out. oh, and the 2 grand difference in price is a consideration as well.

TimP
10-27-2005, 11:01
I'll keep ya posted. Yeah the Fuel injection is nice. Really smooth power delivery, no dead spots. Then again like you said, its a first yr bike. I don't want to have to deal with the first yr tweeks and problems, if they have any.

fnfalman
10-27-2005, 15:59
Back to the cruisers thing.

I'm not a cruiser type, but I would like to suggest a hard look at the Victory line. They are expensive brand new, but used ones can be had for dirt cheap (i.e. don't hold values well). It's a very impressively made cruiser and I think that they compare with the Japanese ones quite well.

And then there's the Triumph cruisers and check out the BMW R1200C-series as well. The Beemers are discontinued, so you can find brand new ones for dirt cheap as the dealerships trying to clear inventory.

Cryptoboy
10-27-2005, 17:43
TimP had a good point, that Warrior is a nice looking bike!

A buddy of mine has a VTX1300 (I think it was the 1300, he's a big boy too, so I'm sure it was at least that size!) that's he customized quite a bit. It looks nice, but it's cost him quite a bit more than my Harley with all the work he had done on it!

Anyways, the Honda VTX and V-Star (Yamaha) are pretty good cruisers.

MarkTX
10-29-2005, 07:52
Kaw 1600 Classic.

Best bike for the money ;z

norton
10-29-2005, 10:10
I really liked my Kawasaki 1500 Drifter.
Somebody mentioned the Victory. they have come a long way since their first bikes. The first ones were crudely built. The latest bike-a friend of mine has one-is very nicely finished.

RoyG
10-29-2005, 12:23
http://www.bosshoss.com/images/PRODUCTS/zero_on.jpg

Boss Hoss (http://www.bosshoss.com)

xring04
10-29-2005, 18:20
I think I need that 502 cruiser!

I bet you would need a crain to lift one of those babies up it it ever fell.

flaman
10-31-2005, 04:14
My 2005 VTX1300C. I have 700 miles on it. It's a beast! I love it... Cobra pipes; jet kit; back rest was a must

fnfalman
10-31-2005, 09:03
Speaking of Boss Hog, Jay Leno just showed up to the Rock Store with one. I forgot to bring my camera in to download the pics, but I will do it tomorrow. That thing is gigantic!!!;g

Three-Five-Seven
11-03-2005, 22:46
I have seen some smokin' deals on used VTX's (both sizes, but mostly 1800s).

You cannot, will not, and no one ever has gone wrong with a Honda.

The guy above who said his buddy had more bucks in a honda than a harley has little understanding of either.....

Cryptoboy
11-03-2005, 22:56
Originally posted by Three-Five-Seven
I have seen some smokin' deals on used VTX's (both sizes, but mostly 1800s).

You cannot, will not, and no one ever has gone wrong with a Honda.

The guy above who said his buddy had more bucks in a honda than a harley has little understanding of either.....

Sure......;Q

You must not have seen much in the way of custom metric bikes to know what I'm talking about.......

PACHARY
11-11-2005, 15:27
Yeah, but is the Harley customized to the same degree as the VTX. You've got to do a lot of customizing to get a VTX1300 to be more expensive than a Harley.(except a sportster, but even other HOG riders don't consider them much better than a Buell) My best bud rides a Road King and was observing how unique his black Road King was;) . Most of the guys I ride with have Harleys, and I get nothing but respect from them when we are on the road. The kidding gets rank over brews, but hey we all have a good time.

Paul
VTX1800R

ZZR guy
11-19-2005, 20:33
I shared with FnFalMan last week that I am without a bike now. I sold my 600R back to the guy I bought it from, so I too, and looking for a new bike.

I think I have decided on newer model FZ1. Should be a nice step up in power from the 600, and more comfy to ride 4-5 hrs at a time [/B][/QUOTE]

Have you thought about getting a ZZR1200? I love mine, I have not rode a FZ1 but the ZZR is comfortable on long rides, full fairing and lots of power (143 hp), and now that the ZX-14 is will be in the showrooms soon you can get a good deal on one, just my two cents.

whogasak47
11-19-2005, 21:22
[QUOTE]Originally posted by flaman
My 2005 VTX1300C. I have 700 miles on it. It's a beast! I love it... Cobra pipes; jet kit; back rest was a must [/QUOTE

That would be my choice . Any of the 1300's , depending on body and frame style you like. I think there are 4 different ones to choose from. The 1300 folks love their bikes. Good Luck and Ride Safe^c

xring04
12-06-2005, 11:49
Well my buddies father is getting rid of his (health reasons) vtx 1300 so I am gonna try and get that. It has 1300 miles on it and it was broken in by an expert so I think this is the one I really want.

fnfalman
12-06-2005, 14:19
Enjoy the bike!

Cryptoboy
12-06-2005, 14:46
Good luck with that xring!

Hey I noticed you are in Jacksonville. Are there any good ranges around here? I'm in town this week, be back for the week before xmas, and wanted to get some range time in. I didn't bring anything with me though, so I'd have to rent. I'm in the I-95/J Turner Butler area.....

epsylum
12-06-2005, 16:26
Originally posted by xring04
Well my buddies father is getting rid of his (health reasons) vtx 1300 so I am gonna try and get that. It has 1300 miles on it and it was broken in by an expert so I think this is the one I really want.

Sounds like a deal. VTXs and Roadstars are the best metric cruisers out there. The Kaws and Suzukis are nice, but they have their "quirks" (I highly suggest taking any Vulcan 1500s to the dealer to be worked on, it took my brother about 2 years to finally get proficient at working on those things).

Jake Mountain
12-31-2005, 23:39
For the ULTIMATE cruiser you might want to look into a Honda Valkyrie. They were discontinued in 03 and a standard can be had pretty cheap. They are pretty much a stripped down Gold Wing with 6 carbs and hooter cams. Although the frame is not the same as a wing. I have a 99 standard with a Corbin seat, Corbin Beetle bags, a Hondaline windshield and Cobra 6 into 6 pipes. Its an awsome cruiser, and is just built for bigger guys. Its also more comfortable and faster than a VTX. The 1520 flat 6 engine is also pretty bulletproof and will run for more than 150,000 with no problems.

stinx
01-02-2006, 12:36
your a good sized guy, I would go for at least a1500. I am only 5,7 and weigh about 160 and my first cruiser was a Roadstar Silverdo 1600. The Yamaha was a great bike, but I couldnt shake the HarleyBug. Im now riding an 04 Road King Classic and love it. Give the Roadstars a look very nice bikes and used ones in excellent shape are usually ver reasnobaly priced.

Circle Burner
01-05-2006, 07:26
VTX all the way!!!

I have a 04 1300C and love the bike. It has good power, great breaks and because it's a Honda outstanding reliability comes stock. I installed some Jug Hugger pipes so you can hear it coming, great sound.

I have had six Honda motorcycles over the years and they have all been winners. Other than routine maintenance I have never had a problem with any of them.