CCW method [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : CCW method

J.R. Bob Dobbs
10-29-2005, 07:25
I carry a small handgun most of the time.....except when riding my bike. My normal method of carry is a S&W CS9, 640, or KT p3at carried IWB in quality holsters.

This works on the bike if I'm only wearing jeans and no jacket (which is rarely). If I wear a mc jacket, it's tight enough that the pistol gets shoved around uncomfortably, or the grip becomes exposed.

I usually wear textile or leather mc pants, which won't even accomodate my holsters, so I go unarmed.

I've been thinking about getting a shoulder rig for the flat KT or CS9, to be worn under the jacket. But I don't know if I'd like wearing a shoulder rig. And, I'd like it to be concealed even with the jacket unzipped.

I have a fanny-pack with an internal holster for a compact Glock but it's way too bulky and tries to compress my gut when I lean forward on the bike. Maybe I could try a smaller one, but it also interferes with unzipping the jacket, I think they all would.

I have considered making and attaching some kind of mount to attach a holster to the inside of the jacket, but the zip-out linings would make this difficult.

What do you guys use?

NMGlocker
10-29-2005, 09:44
A S&W 360 Air-Lite, either in my HighNoon pocket holster (right rear jeans pocket) or tucked into the front pocket of my jacket.
NM is an open carry state with very good firearms travel laws, so if someone sees it in my back pocket it's no big deal.

BikerRN
10-29-2005, 15:54
I have a firearm in the pocket of my mc jacket, and most likely one in the tailbag as well. I carry a PM9 in my pocket.

J.R. Bob Dobbs
10-29-2005, 18:01
I could surely fit one of my Keltecs in a jacket pocket. Something to try and it won't cost me anything, I like that.

Thinking more about it, seems like you'd also need to ditch the shooting hand glove before going for the gun (unhook glove strap, remove glove, unzip pocket, grip gun). Way way way too slow.

Hmm. Fixed or switch blade knife? I've got a few of each but never use them except to open mail.

NMGlocker
10-29-2005, 19:35
Shooting while riding a motorcycle is not an option.
Nobody has the coordination to balance on two wheels, work a clutch, brake, throttle, and still shoot effectively.
So your ccw should be based on two possibilities.
#1 is you are attacked while on foot away from the bike. Such as while fueling up, or going about your daily business.
#2 is you are going to the gun AFTER you have tried to run away on the bike and either been cornered or wrecked out.
Pocket carry in your jacket is about the best option.
You can discreetly put your hand on your gun while going about daily life and it looks like you are just keeping your hand in your pocket.
In the event of a wreck, if your gun is zipped up into a pocket it is secure. You aren't crawling around in the ditch looking for it after it rocketed out of the holster.

J.R. Bob Dobbs
10-30-2005, 19:40
Yes, I like your comment on good "retention" you get carrying in a jacket pocket.

I surely wouldn't ever try producing a gun while riding! I only mentined the glove thing because I don't regularly remove my gloves when stopped for a quick errand, gas etc like you said. Being chased and run down, now I never thought of that!! :)

NMGlocker
10-30-2005, 19:58
I never thought about it either....... until a old beat up pickup pulled out in front of me one day. I did a nose wheelie and stopped literally inches from his driver side door. This clown just casually looks out his window at me. So I reach over the windscreen and tap a gloved one finger salute on his window. He then floors his truck into a U turn and tries to run me down. I was on a sportbike so I made very quick work out of exiting the situation. But later I got to thinking what if this clown had managed to wreck me, or I wrecked trying to get away and he wanted to finish me off.
After that I started to think of a secure accessible place for a handgun.

BikerRN
10-31-2005, 08:15
Congrats on getting the scoot stopped after doing the "stoppie" and not becoming a hood ornament.

If you are going to carry concealed I suggest that you learn to not give, no matter how appropriate, the one finger salute to anyone. It shouldn't matter, but in a court of law sometimes it will. You also learned that escape and evasion is cheaper and better than standing there and fighting. The firearm is a last resort tool. Good on ya' for realizing that in the heat of the moment.

Take care and ride safe.

fnfalman
10-31-2005, 10:02
My riding outfit is tightly fitted to my body. There is no way that I can carry concealed anything. If I were to pack, it'd have to be in a backpack, tankbag, tailbag, fanny pack, or something external.

Although one thought would be sewing a cargo pocket on your riding pants and just stuff the handgun in there. Maybe have some sort of foam padding between the gun and your leg just in case you take a fall and that metal ain't grinding against your leg directly.

VWglocker
10-31-2005, 16:14
my comp-tac shirt tucker works fine under my jacket and pants. on a side note, never ever ever ever try to smart carry on a bike!!

MStarmer
11-01-2005, 13:22
Originally posted by fnfalman
My riding outfit is tightly fitted to my body.

I have that same problem, but it's more like my body expands to fit the clothing...;f

OMEGA5
11-11-2005, 09:25
S&W m340PD or Glock m33, right front pocket with a piece of stiff leather the size of a pack of 100mm cigarettes in front of it. Looks like you have a pack of cigs in you pocket, not a hand gun. Always have pants on regardless of what else I might be wearing and all my pants have pockets. If I'm up, I'm armed.

DaisyCutter
11-12-2005, 01:09
Originally posted by NMGlocker
Shooting while riding a motorcycle is not an option.
Nobody has the coordination to balance on two wheels, work a clutch, brake, throttle, and still shoot effectively.

I've never tried it, but I'm a lefty and a good rider. I'm pretty sure I could draw and shoot while riding. I ride at a comfort level equivalent to walking, and once rolling only need the clutch to come to a complete stop. Frankly, I agree that it's not an option. The manueverability of the bike is substantially more effective in preserving my life then trying to return fire while riding.

My CCW method while riding was either in the backpack or on my hip, depending on circumstances.

With my streetbike sold, the only application I have is on the dirtbike. I always carry in a camelback. The major threat would be running into bad people in the AZ desert. If that happened, I'm opening the throttle on the CR500 and there isn't much that can match a dirtbike in the desert. I can do 70mph down a trail that would pound the tires off a truck going half that speed. Also assuming that I'd be running from people that would probably have long-guns, engaging them with a pistol would be a last resort.

CajunBass
11-12-2005, 02:10
I haven't been motorcycling long, but the zipped pocket of my jacket seems to be a perfect place for my Makarov 9x18. The trigger-guard on the Mak works better with gloves than my Kel-Tec does.

wolfy692005
11-21-2005, 18:28
got a bersa thunder that will go in pocket holster in inside left vest pocket or ankle holster great retention.. no problem either way

11-21-2005, 18:54
If you ride with a jacket, Langlitz Leathers (http://langlitz.com/) offers a gun pocket as a standard feature: http://langlitz.com/images/29%20LL%20Gun%20Pocket.jpg (Gun Pocket)

For what its worth, so does Harley Davidson, at least in some of their jackets. Mine has one, and it's durable and secure.

Without the jacket, I'd opt for a shoulder rig of some kind over a T-shirt with a light shirt covering that.

Good luck.

hercules
11-24-2005, 11:03
I could put a my G27 in one of my fairing pockets on the ST, but I have choosen not to. Until I can find a safe way to carry my G23, my main carry gun, I leave it at home while riding.

mercenary
12-23-2005, 20:50
I never thought about it either....... until a old beat up pickup pulled out in front of me one day. I did a nose wheelie and stopped literally inches from his driver side door. This clown just casually looks out his window at me. So I reach over the windscreen and tap a gloved one finger salute on his window. He then floors his truck into a U turn and tries to run me down. I was on a sportbike so I made very quick work out of exiting the situation. But later I got to thinking what if this clown had managed to wreck me, or I wrecked trying to get away and he wanted to finish me off.

This summer, while eastbound home on a 12 hour trip, I was ran down by a Dodge Ram (passing Tennessee). I was in the fast lane, however there are traffic infront of me so I couldnt go any faster. This driver was right on my ass wanting to pass me (or run me over). So I tapped my brake to get him to slow down. He kept at it again so I changed lane and flipped him off. He suddenly came over my lane again and tried to run me off the road. I had to run away, PULL OVER to the shoulder and let him pass. I remember his plate number for weeks after the incident. But there really wasn't much I could do. Even if I called the police, they probably wouldn't do anything. I could have easily been killed. Motorcyclist are the most vulnerable out there on the road, so be careful guys.

Three-Five-Seven
12-25-2005, 08:45
I have friends who carry their mini Glocks in right-side, cross draw holsters so they can produce their weapon while riding. In other words, right hand continues to operate throttle and brake while left hand operates Glock (remember here that a clutch is just a courtesy on a motorcycle and not a necessity).

I am certain that I don't want anything on my waist in the event of a low-side fall. Since you'll most likely land on your upper back in a high-side fall, the location of your pistola is not so critical. Of course, you don't want to have a high side crash and a low side is more common anyway.

I have become judicious about carrying on the bike. If you are involved in an injury accident, do you really want the first responders dealing with your firearm rather than you? However, when I do carry, I find the 649 is comfortable in the breast pocket of my jacket. I've always wanted to get a dedicated gun vest because I think that is the best solution and allows for carry on either (or both) side.