Kenny Roger was right - you gotta know when to walk away [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Kenny Roger was right - you gotta know when to walk away

fnfalman
10-31-2005, 10:25
I did a lot of riding this weekend, probably close to 500-miles on both days with both bikes. I'd dare say that I put on 100-miles or more of canyon riding. Yesterday, while making the last run up a familiar but tight canyon road (Latigo Canyon Road out in Malibu), I felt good but for some reason I blew the double-yellow line on the first hairpin. I've ridden this road so many times that I know every rut. So, I shook my head and redoubled my concentration only to blow another double-yellow line a few turns later. Aghast, I slowed down and reexamined myself. I felt good. Shoulders and hands are tired but that was expected. Yet somehow I was no longer in the groove. So, I swallowed my pride and cruised the rest of the way back to the Rock Store, got me some water and went home.

I guess I shouldn't be surprised at the loss of concentration considering how much I've ridden, but there was really no physical indication that I was truly tired. Yet my concentration was gone and thank goodness that it was later in the afternoon where there were no traffic coming from the other direction.

BikerRN
10-31-2005, 11:02
Good on ya' for recognizing the symptoms and not pushing yourself into what could have been a poor choice. Glad you made it home OK. I went and rode the twisties up the mountain yesterday with the wife and a friend. We had a blast!

As I ride the Mutistrada more and more I find myself taking the twisties faster and faster with more and more in reserve. I am in no way riding the bike to it's full potential yet, but that's for the track.

Take care and ride safe.

Clydeglide
10-31-2005, 17:57
Originally posted by fnfalman
got me some water and went home.

You need to do that before you pile on miles and during as well. I believe you were mostly dehydrated.

Seriously, keep that in mind.

$.02

:cool:

fnfalman
10-31-2005, 18:09
I wasn't dehydrated because I drank lots of water before, during (backpack) and after. I was simply too mentally tired to hold the concentration.

epsylum
10-31-2005, 19:03
Glad to hear it didn't lead to an accident. I just found out my Dad's (who recently had this happen to him
http://www.glocktalk.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=427891) buddy whom is a VERY experienced rider (goes to track days, had classes, and has been riding for 30 or so years) and a leader of a local chapter of a nation-wide riding club just fell victim to the same thing. Loss of concentration. He wound up in worse shape than my dad. He broke all of his ribs on one side, and some on the other, and fractured a vertebrea (sp?).

Goes to show, it happens to the best of us.

Rosey
11-01-2005, 21:43
Several years ago I was riding (on a canyon road) behind a fella who blew a double yellow in a right-hander. He didn't heed the warning. The very next corner (a lefty) he ran off the road. He's dead now. I got to his body just in time to watch his helmet fill up with blood...I'll spare you all the details of our (the riding group) efforts to save his life on the side of that road.

Thanks, fnfalman, for reminding me to heed the warnings.

TKM
11-01-2005, 22:43
I hear ya.

I made the Vegas run to see Jimmy Buffett on Saturday morning, got home 16 hours later. 680 miles....

Of course, I missed the time change while I was on the road. I was trying to figure out how the hell I'd managed to average 100mph. on the way back.

Got a little fuzzy the last twenty miles. Damn... when I was a kid I could blaze cross country without even thinking about it. I must be getting old or something.:)

okie
11-02-2005, 10:32
Ya done the right thing fnfalman;) :cool:

c5367
11-05-2005, 09:07
Discretion is the better part of valor. When you get on a bike, it's best to leave your ego in garage.

I've noticed the same thing sometimes, especially on track days. Occasionally toward the end of a session I notice that I'm making a lot of mistakes, and I call it as soon as i do. Why practice mistakes and/or sloppy riding? Perhaps more importantly on the street, why risk crashing?