Who supplies your gear? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Who supplies your gear?

147 gr Justice
10-31-2005, 18:08
I usually post in CopTalk but just wanted to say what's up to the Firefighters and EMT's.

I have a question for you guys. I'm mostly interested in full time paid FD's, but other input is good too. I'm doing a little study to compare PD to FD and EMT.

Do you guys get most of your gear supplied by the Department, or do you have to provide it yourself? For FD I'm talking about your turnout gear, boots, SCBA, Halligan tool, and everything else.
What, if anything do you have to personally buy to use on the job?

I know that Volunteer FD's will have a long list but I'm curious about paid FD's also.

Thanks everyone,
Be safe out there.

Victory
10-31-2005, 18:31
fema just gave us a check for some new fire gear. Generally flashlights, rope, small tools, etc is up to you. Some guys opt for personal helmets or hoods. Basically anything you want to fill your pockets with.

Gets expensive with EMS since we're such gear whores. We get the uniform, but then we buy our own boots, scopes and equip our bat belts with various tools, pouches, holsters....

TerraMedicX
10-31-2005, 18:35
The volunteer FD I work for provides all of our volunteers with turn-out gear and department T-shirts. Some members have SCBA masks provided by the department (I think everyone with FF1 certs, of which I am not one :P ), other equipment (halligans, etc) are simply stocked on the trucks. We also provide everyone with safety glasses and trauma shears. We are currently in the process of acquiring complete dress uniforms (NFPA pants and button-down shirts).

One paid ambulance service I work for provides all employees with a complete set of firefighter turn-out gear or extrication gear (depends on availability in your size), T-shirts, dress shirts, dress pants, leather belt, sweat shorts, pants and shirts, winter jacket and baseball cap. They even pay to buy you leather boots if you don't have any. I'm not sure this is very common for non-FD based ambulances, but I'm really appreciative for it! On the other hand, the other ambulance company I work for (hospital run actually) provides EMT-type pants, dress shirts and jackets and thats it. The company I worked for before all this only provided two polo-shirts. You had to provide your own pants and if you wanted a dress shirt you had to buy that as well.

Hope that's what you were looking for.

Nate.

sfdfirefighter
10-31-2005, 20:15
our dept suplies our boots, pants, coat, helmet, gloves, and flashlight. but if you want a different flashlight, hood, extracation gloves etc you havee to buy it. We also have to buy our own wedding, safety glasses, or any kind of tool we want to have. They allow almost every thing that they think we will use since we are a small town FD. They also supply our uniform pants, shirt, dress pants, shirts shoes and hats. they also supply our badge and name pins. we have to buy our own duty boots and any kind of hat or jacket or sweetshirt.

Pa Glock guy
11-01-2005, 20:33
I work for a career dept. and they issue us just about everything. Helmet, hood, gloves, bunker pants and coat, rubber boots but a few of us have bought our own leather boots. We also get 2 t shirts, 2 golf shirts, one long sleeve shirt and 2 pairs of pants per year. Plus when you get hired youre issued a winter coat, dress hat, badge, etc. I ran with a volunteer dept. years ago and I first started they didnt have alot of money so alot of the guys, including me bought all out own gear. Now days, with the federal grants most depts. are in better shape.

Tvov
11-02-2005, 07:09
My vol. FD provides everything. This includes basic blue light for POV, fire extinguisher for POV, Streamlight Survivor w/ charger, full structural gear, etc. If someone needs a custom-fitted air mask it will be provided, although I don't believe that has happened recently. Requests for special items, if not too exotic AND you are an active responder, will usually be filled. Such as different goggles, rope, small hand tools, etc. Our dress uniforms, polo shirts, winter coats, etc are paid for through our department's "non-town" account, which is created using donations. Some members buy their own custom leather helmets, boots, etc.

When someone first joins our dept, they are issued used equipment (that is still suitable for use). After about 3-6 months, if it looks like they are going to stay in, they get new gear.

I have come to realize that I am fortunate in this regard with my department. We are able to do this because of good fiscal management, which has not always been easy. Especially with the newer young guys, who show up and want to buy the most expensive equipment available, along with the entire Gall's catalogue. They get the attitude of "the town is paying for it, so let's get it!" without realizing that 1) it is their own tax money, and 2) the budget can and will be axed if we are not careful with it.

hotpig
11-03-2005, 11:52
Ditto, except my Fire District buyes the uniform shoes and duty weapon.

Originally posted by Victory
fema just gave us a check for some new fire gear. Generally flashlights, rope, small tools, etc is up to you. Some guys opt for personal helmets or hoods. Basically anything you want to fill your pockets with.

Gets expensive with EMS since we're such gear whores. We get the uniform, but then we buy our own boots, scopes and equip our bat belts with various tools, pouches, holsters....

Turk40SW
11-04-2005, 15:05
I buy my own doo dads.. Hand tools, specialty mauls, mini axes etc. Extrication gloves, ansi rain gear, etc.

Dept provides everything else..

However, you can't compare the two (leo vs FF). A decked out firefighter is wearing in the neighborhood of 3-4k in gear after you take into account SCBA, Turnout Gear, Helmets, Boots, Gloves, Personal safety devices.

Firefighters are provided the stuff it takes to not burn to death, asphixiate, or get yer noggin caved in.

D25
11-05-2005, 19:26
I work at a combination FD with 8 paid staff and about 25 volunteers, and the department supplies everything that we need, career or volly, except for boots and pants.

There are some things that the volunteer association will buy for the volunteers, but the paid staff can choose to buy if they desire, such as the new coats that everyone around here is running around with. I can think of better ways to spend $350 though.

D25
11-05-2005, 19:30
Oh, and I forgot that I supply my own stethescope. I don't like sharing ear boogers.

tc2129
11-14-2005, 09:05
The FD I work for provides all turnout gear, to include coat, pants, leather bunker boots, helmet, gloves, and hoods. I chose to buy my own helmet years ago and still wear it today. As far as tools, I have my own screwdrivers, pliers, wire cutters, and the such I keep in my gear that I bought. I also have bought my own carabiners and rope and such. I bought my own flashlight, but we have box lights on the trucks. Uniforms are provided and we recieve a boot/shoe allowance. All polo's, T-shirts, sweatshirts, jackets, and pants provided by Dept. I bought a baseball cap though. And I bought my own stethscope too.

RSQMedic
11-14-2005, 22:11
The department I work for gives us an monthly uniform allowance of $100. With that we purchase every piece of turnout gear except the mask which is the only issue item. All uniform items are also our responsibility. All uniform and bunker items must meet dept specs and be in good repair.

Steve

XNYTRUCKIE
12-06-2005, 11:50
Most depts like pd depts will isue everything you need for liablity reasons as well as uniformity of the crews, but as other posters have stated you have to supplement your own personl tools, i have my own halligan(better the depts), my own self rescue ropes, pocket tools, small flashlights, leather boots and of course my N5a new yorker..

kyfirefreak
12-14-2005, 02:00
Provided=
1 full set of gear- Cairns 660 red helmet, 2 PBI hoods, 2 pairs gloves, flashlight, Morning Pride Basofil coat & pants, Warrington Leather boots.
1 work uniform- Short sleve dark blue shirt & pants w/ badge.
2 t-shirts
1 minitor pager
1 Dress/Class A Uniform- white long sleve shirt, dark blue dress coat & pants, tie, cap, white gloves, badges, name bar, dept collar pins.

Basically our dept provides the necessities, you want anything extra or cool, you buy it.

MBrooks
12-15-2005, 23:41

strummer
12-16-2005, 09:51
I'm with the Chicago Fire Dept.

We are provided all work uniforms, dress uniforms and turn-out/fire clothes.

The only thing we have to buy ourselves are socks, underwear and T-shirts. Occasionally the city will provide us with some work t-shirts.

DRESS UNIFORMS
Blouse
Pants
Long sleeve shirt
Short sleeve shirt
Tie
Dress shoes
Dress hat

WORK UNIFORMS
Pants X 2
Long sleeve shirts X 2
Polo shirts X 2
Belt
Sweatshirt X 2
Work shoes

FIRE CLOTHES
Coat
Boots
Helmet
Truckmans belt
Hood X 3
Mask
Fire gloves X 2 pair
Pelican flaslight

All equipment and clothes can be exchanged on a new-for-old basis at our commissary. I think we have a good system and there are no out of pocket expenses except for the previously mentioned items. Certainly a better deal than the Chicago Police Dept have.

Of course, lots of guys buy their own extras, pocket tools, extra/better flashlights, etc.