New Ipod [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : New Ipod

SkaOG
11-01-2005, 17:44
Anyone have one of those new Ipods that play video. either the 30GB or 60GB. Thinking about getting one and just wanted to here from someone who has one before I shell out the 300 Bucks on one.

Goldendog Redux
11-02-2005, 20:06
Heck yes you should. Unless of course you don't have enough music to fill one up. I have an "old school" 20 gig. I would like a bigger one because I have more music than my pod has space.

MF

SkaOG
11-03-2005, 09:48
Ya well I do not have enough to fill up the entire 30 or 60 GBs, but I keep adding, and right now I have a Mpio with 512 MBs, which is enough for a few CDs to run to and work out with. Not much else, plus it has broken on me and I can not fix it.

So I am thinkin the 30GB Ipod will work out well for me

Goldendog Redux
11-04-2005, 11:10
I guess the amount of music one has does not really matter with an iPod considering they are so versatile.

MF

MB-G26
11-06-2005, 01:09
This looks a good 'IPod' thread in which to ask:
would somebody give me the 'down and dirty to the point' eductation about this Ipod things? Today I learned that kiddo would like one for Christmas/birthday (both dates are in December) - he has a small-capacity MP3 thingamajig.

I know less than squat about "IPODs" - old vs. new? huh? wahhhhh.......
pity me, it sux to be old ;Q
"IPODS" .... ??? for some reason my antiquated mind immediately recalls the "pod people" from some old gorey black and white horror film ;e Are IPODS electronic beings of some sort? Do they identify each other in a crowd, with that horrible scrreeching sound and outstretched, pointing finger?

/meep
m

MB-G26
11-08-2005, 15:07
Awwwww...... C'mon..... have a smidgen of compassion for us 'too old for all this new technology' stuff?
m

seanmac45
11-08-2005, 15:56
I'll take a whack at it for you.

I'm 43 so it was a revelation to me as well.

Basically it is a mini hard drive. Use iTunes to store and arrange your music on the computer and then transfer it to the iPod for play.

Find out what "kiddo" wants to use it for. Many iPod owners want to store files and some want the new video features. If all he wants is to store voluminous amounts of music, stick with the basic 20 gig model. It's more than enough storage for most music collections.

If he has more complex plans for its' use, then you should go with the video model.

Whatever you get, pick up an FM transmitter for it so you can playt the thing through your car radio. It knocks the socks off of broadcast and CD's as you drive.

Good luck.

nickg
11-09-2005, 12:39
my son wants one for Christmas this year, the new 60 gig model.

the only reason i don't want one is that i don't feel like wasting my time dumping all of my CDs down to it. ;f

hmmmmm, maybe i'll hire the babe in my avatar to come do it for me! :)

MB-G26
11-10-2005, 09:51
From what little I've read, the most 'modern' versions look like they'd run more than half my house payment :(

What is usually done when people 'trade up' to the newest and greatest versions? Are 'used' older versions a bad idea in terms of spending money on a "used" model?

I don't see why he'd need to play video on one, telephone Pakistan on one, or set it up to automate the household appliances, LOL! Would I just be asking for trouble to look for older, "used" models via resale (vs. in-store, "clearance sale" type option)? The $300 price tag mentioned in the thread's opening post took my breath away......
m

SkaOG
11-10-2005, 13:10
I know you can trade in your older models and get some small discount on the new ones, so they must sell them.

From what I have heard the old ones are just fine, every year they make small improvements to the previous models.

So if you do not need the most up to date, newest style IPOD the older verisons work well. The newest IPODs play video, which is the only version to date that has this feature.

When I started this post, I was just trying to see of there were any other new features with these new IPODS. Or any probelms the older models did not have.