Efi [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Efi

okie
11-02-2005, 02:24
What are your thoughts on EFI on a motorcycle? Is it reliable, or
is a person better off with a carb. Also what about liquid cooled vs air cooled^8

MStarmer
11-02-2005, 03:11
I think the EFI bikes are more easily tuned (via power commanders and such) with less wrenching. Also a little more convienent, just like cars. Easy starting, warm up etc.. Same with the water cooling, not a thing wrong with it. But obviously the more technology the new bikes have the more they have to go wrong with them. Personally my next bike will be watercooled and EFI without a doubt. I hate taking jets out.

The new Yamaha FZ1 is really calling to me next year!

BikerRN
11-02-2005, 08:00
Carbs: Any monkey with a screwdriver knows just enough to be dangerous

EFI: Requires some knowledge and usually a trip to the mechanic

Rosey
11-02-2005, 09:30
EFI (in general) and water cooling (always) are reliable and mature technologies.

That said, some ~5+ year old bikes (certain Triumph sportbikes come to mind, British electronics dontcha' know) had some EFI clitches, so I read in the mags. Usually fixed with a remapping though.

fnfalman
11-02-2005, 10:23
EFI is a relatively new thing to the motorcycling scene. It's really only been about five or six years since EFI was introduced to the general motorcycling industry. So it isn't as good as in a car or a truck, but it's getting there.

As far as water cooling goes, sure it's more complicated than air cooling, but then you don't have to worry about your bike roasting in heavy traffic. Not to mention that there is no way you can generate high power without water cooling.

okie
11-02-2005, 10:29
Thanks very much for the replies everyone. I HOPE to be getting a bike around the first of the year and have narrowed it down to a Suzuki
Boulevard 90, or the Honda Shadow 1100 Saber;) :cool:

wvwayne
11-16-2005, 12:14
Originally posted by fnfalman
EFI is a relatively new thing to the motorcycling scene. It's really only been about five or six years since EFI was introduced to the general motorcycling industry. So it isn't as good as in a car or a truck, but it's getting there.

As far as water cooling goes, sure it's more complicated than air cooling, but then you don't have to worry about your bike roasting in heavy traffic. Not to mention that there is no way you can generate high power without water cooling. Kawasaki had EFI on one of their GPZs back in the early 80s,can't remember if it was the 750 turbo or the 1000.

epsylum
11-16-2005, 18:04
Originally posted by wvwayne
Kawasaki had EFI on one of their GPZs back in the early 80s,can't remember if it was the 750 turbo or the 1000.

I know it's on the 84 GPz 1100.

But, it's actually called "DFI" or digital fuel injection (digital as in 1 and 0, on and off, fuel or no fuel). Basically an electronic carb, not a true EFI. It's a POS and bound to malfunction. It's the biggest reason why my bike is currently down. I am going to put a set of Mikunis on it, but I have to also get a new ignition controller since the DFI also controls the ignition :( . I have the carbs, need new intake boots, need a Dyna 2000 ignition, and a bit of head work to fix what the previous owner broke (can't anyone just leave things alone).

http://www.photodump.com/direct/epsylum/106-0653_IMG-1.jpg

BushyAR15
11-16-2005, 18:47
EFI is excellent on today's motorcycles. I was very skeptical when it first came out on sportbikes en mass, but it has gone very good over the past few years.

EFI is so much easier to tune than the carbs. Geez, jetting used to be such a chore. Now just hook up your computer and tune away (provided you have a power commander or the like). Also, EFI can compensate when you change altitude. Say you ride from sea level to 10000 ft, your engine won't have much of a problem adjusting to that.

On the negative side, EFI is very dependant on your battery being very strong. I've seen cases where bikes were running poorly. After some long diagnosis turned out the battery was as strong as it needed to be to effectively run the EFI.

epsylum
11-16-2005, 19:15
Originally posted by BushyAR15
On the negative side, EFI is very dependant on your battery being very strong. I've seen cases where bikes were running poorly. After some long diagnosis turned out the battery was as strong as it needed to be to effectively run the EFI.

Yup,

My brother used to ***** about salesmen at his dealership not charging the batteries on EFI bikes before starting them for a customer. The bike had been sitting around and the battery gets weak. So they try to start it, it has just enough juice to power the EFI, but not enough for spark. Fouled plugs were the result. Makes the dealer loook like idiots when they can't get thier bikes started and then had to wheel them back to service to change the plugs. He said it happend almost daily.

EFI takes juice to work, carbs don't.

Fast Glass
11-18-2005, 22:34
I went from an oil cooled, carbed bike to a water cooled, EFI this year and love it.
Suzuki has been getting better with the stock fuel maps and the throttle response is awesome. No more carbs for me.

epsylum
11-18-2005, 22:56
Originally posted by Fast Glass
I went from an oil cooled, carbed bike to a water cooled, EFI this year and love it.
Suzuki has been getting better with the stock fuel maps and the throttle response is awesome. No more carbs for me.

It's nice not having to put 5 quarts of oil in your bike isn't it. ;)

Seriously, those oil-cooleds are sweet and still make great power.

wvwayne
11-19-2005, 01:26
If motorcycles were intended to be cooled with anything but air... fins would have never been invented;f