GLOCK Net? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : GLOCK Net?

R. Emmelman
11-03-2005, 12:56
We should try to start a GLOCK net on HF. I bet that would get some interesting comments from other listening hams! Too bad the sunspots are so low right now. Maybe on 20 meters. ;f

Rich WI9NDY / AFA1CY

lomfs24
11-05-2005, 23:02
If I had HF priveleges I would love to do that. But I don't. Maybe if we moved the net to an IRLP reflector that would be fun. Our IRLP node should be back up soon.

R. Emmelman
11-06-2005, 01:52
Originally posted by lomfs24
If I had HF priveleges I would love to do that. But I don't. Maybe if we moved the net to an IRLP reflector that would be fun. Our IRLP node should be back up soon.
Well from what I understand the CW requirement may go away soon. You can then upgrade and get HF priveleges :)

Rich
WI9NDY
AFA1CY

lomfs24
11-06-2005, 02:42
Originally posted by R. Emmelman
Well from what I understand the CW requirement may go away soon. You can then upgrade and get HF priveleges :)

Rich
WI9NDY
AFA1CY There are still a lot of people who oppose that change. But, yes, it may happen. :)

KB4IFS
11-06-2005, 15:01
The question is not will it go away but when.

R. Emmelman
11-07-2005, 08:45
Probably in 2006. Just a wild guess. ARRL is pushing for an entry level license (technician) with no-code HF. They are also asking for a 5-wpm requirement on the Extra class license. I have a feeling that the FCC will not let this drag on for long.

Rich
WI9NDY
AFA1CY

martho
11-07-2005, 21:38
CW was so popular this weekend during SS CW, the 250hz filters were almost too wide in the MP. Maybe I will think about the 125Hz filters for CQWW CW in a couple weeks.

CW is not dead and is a very productive mode. My last 25 countries have all come on CW including KH5 at 3am Sunday morning on 40m.

While I understand the idea of getting more people into the hobby and on HF, I still can't see the CW requirement being dropped accomplishing that goal. I think the only people who are going to benefit are the no code techs who have been sitting around for years and years playing on FM and never having the desire to learn CW. Once the 5wpm is gone, they will have HF privs. I dont think a non licensed person is any more likely to get a ticket just because they have immediate access to HF.

I remember passing my 5wpm and being so excited. I remember passing my 13 and jumping up and down. 20wpm is slow now during contest that you snooze during the exchange.

I posted this before in another thread. Dropping the CW to 5wpm makes it so easy, that it is hard to understand why someone, who wants to be part of this hobby, won't put the time into becoming proficient at 5wpm. In abscense of a medical reason, not obtaining a CSCE for 5wpm is just lazy.

I want to add, I am not against or for the change in the morse requirement.

R. Emmelman
11-08-2005, 04:50
Martho,

I agree with you that CW is alive and well. I think the FCC (and ARRL to some extent) want to bring amateur radio more inline with commercial. To my knowledge CW has been dropped from the commercial/maratime requirements. I wouldn't be too suprised that the FCC doesn't start requiring high stability transmitters in the future. We are already seeing this mandate in the MARS program. There will always be someone using CW (you can still find some AM).

Rich
WI9NDY
AFA1CY

KB4IFS
11-08-2005, 15:06
If knowing CW is a deterent to the lazy and socially unacceptable from becoming HAMS, please explain the language used and rampent on the bands. Especially 75 - 80 mtrs. Now we ALL know the language is nasty. Maybe it happens on CW but its too fast for me to pick up. That being said, I think the exams should be revised to have more current technology intergrated, including a typing test for digital modes. BTW, I no longer am a ARRL member as they do not represent my views. I'm 52 and there're just OLE FAT BASTARDS to me!:soap: The ARRL is dying a slow and lingering death.

martho
11-08-2005, 17:42
What are your views the ARRL does not represent?

I have heard this several times in the last year or so and would like to see what aspects of the hobby the ARRL is missing.

R. Emmelman
11-08-2005, 19:01
I agree that the exams should be revised. Having just taken my Extra last spring I was suprised at the amount of questions dealing with non-regulatory pratices. Things, in my opinion, that should not be on a test. The tests should be over theory and regulations.

As far as ARRL I look at then like any other group. I agree with somethings and not others. (NRA also falls under this heading)

Rich

KB4IFS
11-09-2005, 09:38
I don't think they are progessive enough. I think CW is great, but I believe we need to look to faster modes that are current with technology. Yes I know it "gets through" when other things fail, so I've been told. And I remember too well all the "old" arguments against even dropping the cw rate down for any license. I believe we should use the band width for sometning else. What is the average age of an American Ham, in their 50's? I think the ARRL wnats to protect their jobs and the status quote more often then be representative of its members, who are a small percentage of all US Hams. Why is that? Because they do not perceive any real benefit from the ARRL. And of course the ARRL drops the ball all the time in regards to C&R's.

martho
11-09-2005, 11:13
Ok...thanks for your thoughts

1. Arrl is not progressive enough - living in the old times
2. CC&R's

Those are what I got out of your post.

I have a question about #2. Why should the ARRL be involved in the CC&R fight when the property purchaser chooses to live in those CC&R locations? Now, an entire city, that is different as there are school districts, resale value, park districts, etc etc. However, if you choose to buy a home in a CC&R subdivison and expect the ARRL to fight for you, I just don't see that being their problem.

I live in a CC&R subdivision built in 2003. I chose to live here and reviewed the CC&R as well as HOA bylaws extensively. I knew when I signed the papers, I was stuck with those rules. I would never ask the ARRL to bail me out for a decision I made.

As for the progressive, you're comment about the average age of hams has alot to do with that. However, many are playing with PSK, RTTY, HELL, WJST, JT65, MT63, and APRS.

Do you,

1. Send QSL cards via the outgoing buro?
2. Do you do any contesting ARRL sponsored or otherwise?
3. Are you a VE ARRL, WY5I or other?
4. Have you been to W1AW and operated the station?

These are all benefits of ARRL membership (minus the wy5i ve)

KB4IFS
11-09-2005, 17:43
I am well aware of what I or others do when they buy Real Estate. The point being if you want to attract the youth who are the future of this hobby, then you have to make it possible to set up a good station, IMHO, and this includes the antenna. Since they live with their parents, alot is given up. The antenna issue needs to be addressed. In my opinion, the ARRL got it wrong. Many agree. PRB1 should have gone further, but money talks. As I have stated on QRZ, where are all those agencies(Red Cross, FEMA,& others) that praise us when we need their help and support? Many Hams go into other smaller homes as they get older, most all new developments have C&R's so unless you want to live in an older development, the country or next to the hogpen, you may not have a realistic choice, but after all, this is a hobby. Operated W1AW, yes, as well as the Pentagon, Maritime Mobile, Cuba, and the USS Yorktown to name a few. Extra Class, MARS, the 1985(?)Mexican earthquake and Hurricane Hugo. Ever try to get the average Ham to handle a MARSGRAM or Health and Welfare? Operated the Russian Birds, VHFDX 2mtrs and six, RTTY and AMTOR. Yes, I have done alot since being licensed since 1983, helped alot, and given back alot, and received joy and appreciation in return. I didn't always feel this way, but after many years supporting the ARRL, I really didn't think they spoke/or speak for the majority of Hams. One expensive magazine to boot, but many people love ads. Check the membership numbers against licenses. These are just a few notes written very quickly, so they may not flow but I live a balanced life and don't hang out on 75 - 80 meters since I showed my station to a friend and told him all about what fun and helpfulness Ham Radio provides. Then I turned on the rig(20 mtrs)to hear President Hussin from Jordon come up and be called a *******. So I turned the frequency and heard more FOUL language. As I turned to my friend, and his wife who had come into the room, he just politely smiled and said how wonderful it seemed to be. I haven't spoken to another person about trying to interest them into the hobby since then, but you can.

martho
11-10-2005, 23:39
Thanks for sharing your thoughts.

The pig farmers on 75m are going to do what they want, how they want until someone does something about it. If you're not running legal limit down there, you are going to be QRM'd and run off unless you are one of the good ole boys. That has been a problem for a long time. I don't know if there is an answer to fixing that, either. Riley can only do so much.

As for JY1, that is unfortunate. One of the benefits of chasing DX on CW, you dont have the people making comments, just their carriers which are easily removed with DSP :)

You are correct in saying the license numbers are dropping. Either the QRZ or Eham forums (take them for what they are worth as its usually a bunch of nonsense) has a guy who posts license data. The decline in licenses is a common trend.

In your 22 years you have seen alot. How did you feel when your extra class license, which you worked to get 20wpm, became a written test only and the 5wpm standard was all which was needed? How about the no code entry license? Im curious if these issues have anything to do with your non ARRL support.

Bruce, this is not a bash on you or the hobby. I am just curious for opinions. It is nice to talk objectively about something important to us (especially after 22 years in the hobby)

KB4IFS
11-11-2005, 18:15
Well I'm a no code extra which I got right after the change. I know I'll never be a Real Extra in some eyes, as well as a Real Ham from only building an amp from a kit. Point is, I operate in a respectful manner and build the hobby up, not tear it down. As far as nonsense and language on the bands, I beleive it was probably always there. Maybe not in the amount, but it was there. As far as the good ole days, well they're gone. Unless you believe they are the days we live in, which I do. You can't sit back and rest on your laurals and think things will always be the same. I just don't believe the ARRL is progressive enough. If you want to operate CW, go ahead and do so. It's amazing anyone can copy 30-40 words a minute or more, but it's not for everyone. It had a purpose once Internationally, but those rules are changing also. What about HSCW or meteor scatter. One of my best memories is VHF CW on Aurorea. I worked to CO from SC. It was great, but so are the FM sats. I would just like to make a future for those who are not Hams yet, and that includes preemption for antennas, IMHO. Since I don't agree with the ARRL, I no longer belong, by choice. My way of protesting. These reps didn't listen to me as a new Ham because I didn't know enough and hadn't paid my dues. Just hear me on this last point. I remember the protest about no code when I became a Ham. It didn't destroy Amateur Radio. Those guys are here now doing great stuff. It didn't threaten me. It's the guys who don't think these new Hams measure up based on one criteria, the "Code". What are these guys doing because I don't see all these guys around passing traffic, setting up displays or what not. However there're good at grossing though about the good ole days when "they got started". BTW, if you want an example of guys doing it right, look to HSCW, Meteor Scatter, High Altitude Balloon, Digital or AMSAT. These guys rock! TNX for the interest.

K8KQD
11-14-2005, 12:34
Originally posted by KB4IFS
Well I'm a no code extra which I got right after the change. I know I'll never be a Real Extra in some eyes, as well as a Real Ham from only building an amp from a kit. ..... I just don't believe the ARRL is progressive enough. If you want to operate CW, go ahead and do so. It's amazing anyone can copy 30-40 words a minute or more, but it's not for everyone. ............... Since I don't agree with the ARRL, I no longer belong, by choice. My way of protesting. These reps didn't listen to me as a new Ham because I didn't know enough and hadn't paid my dues.

Bruce,

This is just a HOBBY so you don't need to get up tight about some folks' point-of-view.

Congratuations on getting your Extra!

As a teen, I built Heathkits back in the early 60's and have never built a rig from scratch. I don't see the discrimination with new hams and so-called no-code Extras though. The "no-code" designation was used for Techs sine there were actually two license categories. There is only ONE Extra Class. I've been licensed with the same call for 47 years and upgraded from General to Extra a couple years ago. I passed 13wpm decades ago but, since I didn't operate in the mode, my speed never improved. Since upgrading, I'm spending 90% of my hamming on HF CW mobile so my speed is up to 30wpm now. I'm into this to have fun so I'm using the modes and gear that interest me. Pick a mode that you like and have at it. There are many things we can do in ham radio so we can all enjoy it.

I've been an ARRL Life Member for 30 years and still believe that they are our best advocate in Washington. If you want a lobby to support your hobby, the ARRL is your best avenue (my opinion).

I'm sure that the code requirement will be eliminated but I happen to believe that the FCC code requirement should not be removd because 5-wpm is a piece-of-cake and yet it shows that the applicant wants to invest some effort into being licensed. Also, it provides enough knowledge that they may eventually choose to operate CW at some point. If they never even learn the basics, they will never use it. I hear a LOT of CW activity on HF and enjoy it a great deal. As a VE, I've seen Techs who never upgrade to General simply because of the code. That's most unfortunate. They just need to WANT IT enough to try a little harder. Like many things in life, the rewards are sweeter when it's earned.

I'd love to participate in an HF Glock net if anyone wants to get it started. I'm operating 40, 20 & 18 meters every morning between 0800 and 0900 EST and evenings between 1800 and 1900 hours EST. I will be there at other times if the net is scheduled differently I'm using a Kenwood TS-2000 so I can operate on any of the HF bands you might select.

73's,
Lorne, K8KQD

RUT
11-14-2005, 16:03
>>Dropping the CW to 5wpm makes it so easy, that it is hard to understand why someone, who wants to be part of this hobby, won't put the time into becoming proficient at 5wpm.<<

Cuz the easier you make it for some people the more easier they want it to be. Human nature I guess.

===RUT=== (K1HS)

KB4IFS
11-14-2005, 17:54
I think there are other factors that judge desire and ability to operate. Many never build, yet they must know the technical basis for radio, or at least be able to memorize them. There are many modes and the technical basis is not being tested. I do stand by my statement that I believe the ARRL is not progressive enough. I do hope you like your hobby. Althought I do not operate at this time, I hope there is a hobby to come back to or one for others to join. Well, I've said my piece and it's time for the family. 73 de kb4ifs sk.

VOB
11-30-2005, 20:54
We should try to start a GLOCK net on HF. I bet that would get some interesting comments from other listening hams! Too bad the sunspots are so low right now. Maybe on 20 meters. ;f

Rich WI9NDY / AFA1CY

Sorry to drive the thread back to the original topic!

I'd be willing to give it a try.

n3hcp
12-30-2005, 13:27

Rich WI9NDY / AFA1CY Count me in...band conditions permitting!;)